1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project - Black´n´Blue - 5/4/06 - Case pictures - page 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Thizen, 9 Oct 2005.

1. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

You're asking for trouble with that waterblock, the aluminum will corrode quite a lot in presence of the mixed metals (copper in the coil, as well as the radiator.)

Make sure you're running a powerful anti-corrosive, but even then it's still kind of a bad idea.

How do the major companies do this you wonder? anondization.... but you scratch that and then corrosion process begins.

2. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#28 and #29

Hey.. I know Alu and copper isn´t a good combination, but even if I skipped the copper coil, the radiator (as #29 said) will be a problem. I´m going to use a strong mix of distrilled water with a lot of anti corrosion fluid, as I have 2 different kinds of fluid, I´m sure on of them will work, We´ll see. I´m going to set up the watersetup soon, on my desk, just to test for leaks and to see if there´s going to be any problems with corrosion.

Kind regards Thizen

3. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

It's not the best I's seen, but far from the worst. he should have used sleeves with a smaler diameter, but it's more than good enough ;)
    What about making something like this, in the guide.

I realy like the aluwork, at my case i'm building a new front of alu with some black tinted and uv blue plexi, and I'm also polishing some of the parts at the inside. So what method did you use the get the psu and other stuff so shiny?
    Link to my worklog.

And what machine did you use to cut out the pattern in the sidepanel? I'm plning to cut some flames in uv green plexi and place on the outside of the panels, and of course sand it and polish it too then.
    Here are a planing topic of the mod in norwegian, will soon come in english here at bit-tech too

I realy like the theme on this case looks good, your rad grill, pattern on the side and shaft for the front looks nice :thumb:

But for the radiator i think you should make a shroud, here's a worklog in norwegian (siden du er dansk burde du forstå norsk da) for the shroud I'm making for some guy.
    This will alsom come in english at bit-tech too ;)

What about some alu. feets for the case? Something like the one i got here in my update.

[norwegian]Dette ser veldig bra ut, jeg ville likt hvis du hadde svart på alle spørsmålene mine, og sett på linkene. Du kunne vel ikke added meg på msn? (adresse står i profil.)[/norwegian]

4. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

Hey.. The sleeving size seem to be fine enough for my cables, the smaller one in the sleeving set was too narrow..

I haven´t done anything to the alu front since the first update, but I can tell you that it will be painted metallic black like the rest of the case, but first I think i will make some small holes of some kind in the bottom with some mesh, so the airduct can get air, and to make the front stand out a little more ruff..

It´s not the psu, it´s the dvd drive that´s polished :) well, first I had to get rid of the paint, so I used 150 Dry paper, then 400 dry paper for a long time, then 800,1000 and 1200 wet paper for a long time too, and then finally Autosol (polish stuff) to get it all shiney, in a little distance it looks like perfect chrome, but if you go really close you might still see the small schrates from the sandpaper..

I used a "stiksav" (in danish) think it´s called a jig saw in english? very simple really, just used the same blade as for alu, it had no problem what so ever to cut in plexi, and it didn´t even melt it!

I don´t think the radiator shroud would be a good idea in my casemod, as I have already got limited space to work with inside the chassie, and I do not want a huge shaft like that on the outside, but thanks for the tip anyway. I just like my fans to be seen! (they´ll be painted too!)

Talking about feet, You alu feet looks really clean, but I think they are a little big, if you know what I mean? I really don´t want to Focus on the feets of this case, but I can tell you that I have found some sound absorbing rubber feet with 10 mm thread that I can mount under it´. By using the 10 mm thread I can adjust the height of the case just like I want to, and still be able to hide the feet under the case..

And yes, I will add you to my msn when I´m done writing this post :)

I just want to say thanks ! thanks a lot for putting this much work into writing a reply in my thread, I really appreciate it! :) :)

--------------

For everyone reading this post, I have now set up a temperary waterloop, to check for corrosion in the water blocks, I will let it run for some weeks, while i´m building the case :)

Kind regards Thizen!

Kind regards Thizen

5. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

No problem mate ;)

I'll try to sand my parts more and get a bette finish ;)

But you can drown your parts in paint thinner to get of the paint and polish it avfter, thnks for the tips. i'll try my best and se how it goes ;)

6. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

Northbridge waterblock

I´m sorry for the lack of updates at the moment, but I have been busy on my work.

Today I made my Northbridge waterblock.. I´m not really satisfied with the result of it, but since is is soooo small (34x34x11mm) it´s very hard to get the details right.
    As there was so little room for screws beside the fittings, I had to sand 2 of the Umbraco bolts almost entirely down for them to be there.
    The internal design is like the cpu block, with square spikes of some kind, a design which seems to be working very well though!

Here´s some pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Give me your opinion in the discussion thread..

Oh yea, I tested the cpu block on my AMD64 3000+, which is a fairly hot processor as it is 130nm. But it keeps the temps at 34 idle og 39 load which is very good compared to the Vantec Stingray watercooling is used before on the same system. (That´s without fans on the radi = passive)

About the corrosion problem you mentioned in the discussion thread, the system have been running with destilled water and car coolant for a week or so without any signs of corrosion what so ever...

right now, i´m looking for 2x M3 bolts so that I can mount the gfx waterblock, when that´s done, I will try to run the whole system with 3 waterblocks and check the cpu and northbridge temp..

Kind regards Thizen

7. Skraap

Skraap What's a Dremel?

The NB cooler also looks very nice, but remember to take pictures of the "inside".

[danish] Kunne du ikke evt. være interaseret i at sende noget alu til mig :p ?. Og hvor har du fået de pakninger fra, har de dem hos et VVS firma eller har du selv lavet eller hvad? [/danish]

8. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

Hey Skraap..

Thx :) As I said, the inside is like the cpu block, and there is a picture of that..

/danish/ Det er ikke fordi jeg har vildt meget alu tilbage, hva størrelser skal du bruge? , hvilke pakninger snakker du om?

mvh Thizen

9. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Hey, that NB cooler looks sweet, but I'm missing some pictures under progres and of the inside.

Any progres on the front?

10. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#36 I´m sorry to say it, but I´m not of the kind who takes pictures while in progress when I´m doing the things in one go..

I haven´t touched the front since the first update, for now I will finish the watercooling before proceeding with the case.. Next thing will be the reservoirs, If they come out as I hope they will, they will looks sweeeeet!!

Kind regards Thizen

11. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Thats sounds good, what kind of design are you thinking about on the reservoirs?

12. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#38 .. hehe, well two cylinders with 50 mm diameter mounted on the reserve side of the window side of the case.. they will then be polished to get chrome finish. I think it will look really nice.. hehe..

Kind regards Thizen

13. Shpoon

Shpoon What's a Dremel?

Very nice looking, gratz for being young and still doing such a great job.

14. ClaasM

ClaasM What's a Dremel?

I like your design of your cooler, its very unique for my opinion...
    I for my part am not a fan of those acrylic cases but the result ist counting, heh ;)

15. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

Waterblock update

Okay, I did it again... hehe.. I went down and make a new top plate for both my gfx and cpu waterblock.. Since I first made the gfx topplate to work on two types of cards, the top bracket is too wide to be mounted on my fx5200, as it will hit some components.. So I had to make a new one, now it fits! :)

And since the cpu block didn´t have any mounting bracket at all! I hat to make one that would fit my socket 754 mobo.. So I did..

I also connnected the 3 waterblocks with hoses today, so now there´s currently flowing water through them to test for leaks / corrosion.. even though the blocks have been pressure testet to 4 bar (58PSI) without problems!

Here´s some pictures..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Give me your opinion :)

Kind regards Thizen

16. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#40 Thank you very much :)

#41 Neither am I, but as I have written in the log, all the acrylic will be painted metallic black :)

Kind regards Thizen

17. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

That GPU block looks nice, what about shorten the bolts a little bit?

Got any temps and OC on the GXF? :D

18. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#43 I ahve some shorter bolts, I might change it later yes :) No i haven´t even startet the system yet, it´s leak testing.. My gfx can´t show temps, but i can try with a probe when i fire it up.. About OC, I dont think you should expect very much, afterall, it´s just a crappy fx5200 hehe.. we´ll see..

Kind regards Thizen

19. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Looking forwards to it ;) ATM i got a fx5500 on pasive cooling only about 80-90 at idle, at load 100+++ my probe cant show higher :rock: I hope you get some better temps than me ;)

20. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#45.. wow, that´s some really high temps! you should do something about it!
    I don´t think i will have a problem getting lower temps :)

Kind regards Thizen