1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Black Betty - Updated

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jeroenotje, 15 Sep 2006.

1. Jeroenotje

Jeroenotje What's a Dremel?

Update! I started working on the holders for the PSU shields. I don't know what to think about them. All details worked out as I wanted them, but you are not going to see a lot of it (actually nothing) when the shields are on. Ah, I had a good time building it :) . I'll post everything here so you can learn from it. Just watch it and let me know what YOU think about the final result.
    So, we needed a piece of aluminium to cut the holders from. This stuff is perfect, thin and soft. Easy to hande. So I took the mockup and a pencil to make sure everything would fit.
    [​IMG]
    We don't need black aluminium. This thing needed the orbital sander.
    [​IMG]
    Taped in.
    [​IMG]
    Drawn out.
    [​IMG]
    Rough cut with the jigsaw.
    [​IMG]
    To make sure what worked out good or bad, I did the front holder first. After some filing and sanding:
    [​IMG]
    I used a knife to remove the tape from the areas with material that needed to be removed. I don't have a scrollsaw :( . A good handsaw neither. So, It's all removed with some good old filing. By hand.
    [​IMG]
    The small pieces in the middel are removed by drilling and filing away all the material that left. Cool? Again, no scrollsaw is used.
    The rest needed to be done to.
    [​IMG]
    Need some holes...
    [​IMG]
    I did not drilled all the holes here. I wanted to this in the end. To make sure everything would fit. You'll find out later what I mean. Holes aren't threathed, to make sure there won't came any dirt in the holes.
    Time to remove some tape and finish some stuff.
    [​IMG]
    This one is missing four mounting holes. The edges needed some cleanup.
    [​IMG]
    After some sanding and polishing this is how it looks, halfway polishing:
    [​IMG]
    Like I said, I do not have a scrollsaw. Everything is done by filing by hand. Took this picture while cleaning up, LOL:
    [​IMG]
    It was such a nice wheather. So, I decided to go to the backyard and do some orbital sanding there. Even the higher grids went fine with the machine. I did also sanded down the side shields, they need to be perfect to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's halfway polishing. I made a very stupid mistake. That has cost me a lot of time to remove. To mark the area's that needed to be cut I used a knife. At one holder I drawed long lines, all over the shields. Almost unremovable scratches were made at the good areas. Argh. But after a lot of orbital sanding, they are gone :).
    Anyway, after some polishing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    LOL, next.
    I think the polishing looks, kind of blurry. Don't know what went wrong. I'll polish it up by hand later.
    For safety, I taped of the shields. This one does have my copyright. GHEHE.
    [​IMG]
    Drilling holes, taping them. And three of the six holes are.. a bit.. completely f*cked up. They are of! BAH. You'll see I am not going to like this part. You'll find out that it is not wide enough. Anyway, it fits. I'll make a new one if it looks worse with the shields on. Take a look yourself:
    [​IMG]
    It all fits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Everything needs to be bend. Here's the first. Nice or what?
    [​IMG]
    We use some, tape to tape it of, a piece of steel, a wooden block, a hamer and some clambs. Like this one, only the edge isn't taped of:
    [​IMG]
    Done?
    [​IMG]
    This is one holder. I cutted the bending marge away.
    [​IMG]
    There you go:
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't find a second piece of steel. So I took a big piece of aluminium. It worked out anyway. Only the edges don't look really good.
    Know what funny is? I made these thing to big. I included a bending marge and the width of the side of the case and the backplate of the PSU. So it should be one bending marge to long. Right? And it does! Nothing more, nothing less. So if I took of that piece, it will fit. You know what gets most ugly when polishing? The edges :), so let's take it of.
    Used a knife to remove tape from the areas that are going to be removed.
    [​IMG]
    This line is perfectly straight. So the edge doesn't. It's only getting better.
    [​IMG]
    Sanding and filing. Now you can see how much is going of.
    [​IMG]
    The other one to:
    [​IMG]
    Drilling holes and it fits!
    [​IMG]
    Perfectly! :)
    [​IMG]
    Some other holes to. (all holes are tapped)
    [​IMG]
    Tadaa!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To bad you aren't going to see a lot of it. These holders are providing enough space to build some LED covers in. A piece of plexi, drilling some holes and I can mount a LED wherever I want :) .
    I think I'll need some spacers between the front holder and the other two. And how about some spacers between the shields and the holders?
    So, what's next?
    Polishing up the shields, holders at the underside of the PSU, shield for the front of the PSU, shield with holders at the back of the PSU, shields fot the HDD trays and many, many, many more.
    And I'm going to put UV-green plexi behind all shields. I was thinking about 5mm or 3mm A.C.ryan UV-panel. What do you guys think, 5mm or 3mm?

All reactions are welcome again! Everybody that is going to make his/her final exams.. Good luck! I'm out of time, because I need to spend a lot of time learning. Tomorow is the first exam, dutch. So, I don't know who else is going to pass his/her final exams this year but, good luck!

2. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Very nice work especially when all you did was file

3. GAM

GAM What's a Dremel?

I can emphathise with you on all that filing, what a PITA!

Looking good though. I like those brackets.

4. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

looking good!

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wow looking good, never seen a CRT in a case before

6. Jeroenotje

Thank all of you! Hm, update comming...

7. Jeroenotje

Small UPDATE!
    This case had lots of imperfections. Those are irritating me. I started to remove those things. What material does Chieftec make these things of, it's hard stuff and difficult to remove. Next project will never be a Chieftec or so.
    Imperfection number one where the edges at the holders of the hdd trays. Because of that the holders of the shields didn't fit perfect. Crap.
    [​IMG]
    Case stripped down, time for some Dremeling, Filing and other heavy duty stuff!
    [​IMG]
    Upper one done.
    [​IMG]
    Lower one to, sanded down.
    That was cool. Time for number two. The holes for the intake fans. Crap made by Chieftec, just some Dremeling by me. Time to fix them. Here you can see they are not strait and sharp.
    [​IMG]
    Close but not there:
    [​IMG]
    Better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's how it should be.
    Time for something different. Interesting stuff. A holder fot the shields at the backside of the PSU.
    [​IMG]
    This holder is the same size as the holder at the front of the PSU. Only differinces are that this one will hold two shields instead of three and this one contains a beam in the middle (kind of an H-shape). How easy is that, right?
    [​IMG]
    Holders for the holders are simple to, those wil hold the side-shield either.
    For the people who have NO idea what I am talking about:
    [​IMG]
    Here's what the shape is for. Say goodbye ugly vol-selector :) .
    [​IMG]
    Making holes into cardboard is difficult, that's why everything became kind of crappy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I guess this is how it should be. I'll have to make it out ot alu, same old story (see last update). I wanted to take more pictures but the batteries of the camera didn't like that. The lefside of the holder is not exactly what I wanted, I think I might going to change that. Aluminium version will follow soon.
    All kind of reactions are welcome again.

8. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

very good work!!

9. Jeroenotje

Thanks!

10. Jeroenotje

Hoi piepeloi!

Update!
    This is goign to start real good. But at the end of the update you'll see it's far from that. So it will probably be redone. Bet there is good news! Let me introduce to you, the latest member of the casemod community. Ollie. He has been a great help!
    [​IMG]
    Allright, today we are going to make a little holder that is going to fit underneath the PSU. I had thick and thin aluminium. I took some thin stuff, it's just a bit thinner than the other holders. It's easy to handle :) .
    Used an orbital sander to sand it down:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Drawn out...
    [​IMG]
    Holes drilled
    [​IMG]
    Ollie, what's the right tool?
    [​IMG]
    Not bad, for a first time. And for an elephant. Would he have talent?
    [​IMG]
    I did not need help while filing and sanding.
    [​IMG]
    Halfway polishing...
    [​IMG]
    Holes tapped and drilled up.
    [​IMG]
    As good as polished up.. It's kind of blurry. Don't know why that is. I tought the fibers of the polishing wheel started to stick together. But after toturing the wheel with a steel brush the result didn't turned out better, maybe worse. Crap.
    [​IMG]
    Taped down. Made some small grooves and filed some edges under an angle. Why that is? And for the people who couldn't figure out what this was going to be... Time for some bending work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tape removed. Looks cool, right? Wait until you see this...
    [​IMG]
    It's far of! This happened while bending, at the last moment. The left side is.. screwed up. Damn.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am not satisfied with that. There are two things I could do. Bend, sand and polish up this holder. Or.... Make myself a new one which is perfect. I could make a smaller one next time, so I could put a piece of UV-green acrylic at the back, while it is still in one line with the outer two :) .

I think I am going to do that. Maybe tomorrow, or I could start cutting acrylic for the shields. What do you guys think, 3mm or 5mm acrylic?
    All kinds of reactions are welcome again :) !

11. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Nice PSU shelf though I understand how you want to redo it because of the slight mistake. As for the acrylic, go with the 5 mm if you're not concerned with the case's weight. I prefer 3/16" which is slightly less thick than 5 mm.

I know I'm a bit late in asking but how hard was it to reroute the PSU cables through the bottom?

12. Jeroenotje

Hm, that might be a good reason to take 5mm instead of 3mm. Great idea, thanks :) .

Rerouting the cables was not that hard. You'll only run into troubles if you do not have any electronic/soldering skills and if you are not able to seperate the colors. Wasn't that hard :) .

13. MikeK

MikeK What's a Dremel?

Thats a lot of polishing :D

Great work!!

14. Jeroenotje

Update!

This update took me far more time then you would think. Enjoy!
    I wanted to do most of the alu work for the PSU before I would give an update... To start with, the side shields for the PSU. Bad choice, this alu was so strong.. It was hard to polish. So it's stil kind of.. hazy. I'll fix that later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Time for the small ones. Taped down a sheet of aluminium.
    [​IMG]
    Here we go..
    [​IMG]
    I drawed six shields onto this plate. Between the shields I made a gap of 1mm. That's the friction I have with my handsaw... It's all done by hand!
    [​IMG]
    Why six? I need five.. (3 for the front, 2 for the back, remember). I have no idea, LOL. Just in case that... And yes, I screwed one up while sewing.. So, yeah :) .
    Drawn all details out..
    [​IMG]
    I've made them in pairs of two..
    [​IMG]
    Just put some bolt's thrue it, that will make you get two identical shields :) .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last one is different...
    [​IMG]
    Sanded down...
    [​IMG]
    New toy! I already had a table grinder. But when taking of the shields, the bearings came fall out. So, I found this Ferm in our basement. Dad, why didn't you told me that before? Thanks dad ;) .
    The next day I bought a big buffing wheel, I have a great tool now :) . I runs at about 2800RPM. I thinks that's a high speed for buffing, but the speed drops while buffing. It works fine now. It wont last long I think, it's a Ferm. I don't know how many resellers of Ferm there are outside the Netherlands.. So some of you might not know this brand... However, I don't like it, I've seen a lot of cheap Ferm stuff broken down. I'm sorry Ferm.
    [​IMG]
    I had the idea I was breathing in to much dust...
    [​IMG]
    After a few hours of buffing ik couched and a.. blackcolored piece of slime came up... So I was right. I bought these dustmasks.
    That's what you probably did not wanted to hear.. So, here is the result ;) . It took me a lot of time and it still is not perfect. *(&#$!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That took me.. TO much time :( . However, next update I will be bending those things. I've just tried some stuff.. It's going to look hot!
    Let me know what you guys think of it so far ;) .
    Oh, and I will be using 3mm plexi, it's easier to bend and cheaper then 5mm, LOL .
    And I am using a temp. host. (So don't cry if some pics are not working!) The host I was using for my pics was FULL :( . So, does anyone knows a good host?
    Keep on modding (I've always wanted to say that. NO, I am commanding you..)

15. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

WOW. those shields look amazing. reminds me of tribaloverkill's work. its amazing how you can make those shapes with a simple drill and files. imagine the crap you could do with a scrollsaw!

im curious of what type of files you use, pics of `em?

16. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

wow, this is some amazing work! i wish i could do all of this with a drill and file
    an i love the crt!

17. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

awesome!!!:thumb:

18. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Nice job so far, your attention to detail (even detail that won't be seen! ) is great. Where did Ollie the elephant go? Off to have some more fun with that jigsaw?

I really like that buffer wheel you've got.

19. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

coool. b/w crt is cool. i dunno how much shielding you'll need, two layers of shielding would be a start. stability tests like overnight memtest & overnight prime95/orhtos will let you know. maybe both shields will need to be isolated from each other & everything else & both only connected to the case via resistors to "absorb" noise, keeping the the pc earth clean/silent?
    two layers of polished shielding around crt components will look pretty cool aswell!
    you spraying the case black? polished metal on black will be nice!

20. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

All the square holes make this mod look somewhat Rennie Macintosh inspired.

Nice work, can't believe I missed this.

H.B.