1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Black Betty - Updated

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jeroenotje, 15 Sep 2006.

1. Jeroenotje

Jeroenotje What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys :) .

@elbarto241: I really like TO his work, he's one of the guys that inspired me to get modding ;) . Hm, my birthday is within two weeks.. Might going to ask mom and dad for a scrollsaw :) .
    About the files.. I'm using some normal, big sharp ones and a set of key files a friend of mine wasn't really using anymore. Nothing special, just stuff you can buy almost anywhere :) . I might going to buy some new small needle files, such usefull stuff :) .

@mattthegamer463: Ollie is chilling at my girls place at the moment. Yeah, he's spending some time with me, and some time with her. When he's back at my place, I will let him do some more jigsawing work, ghe ghe. Maybe my girl is afraid he's going to 'acidentelly' cut his tail of (or worse), LOL .

@mvagusta: I'll think about it and try that. We'll see :) . I'll spray paint the case flat black.

@Hugo.B: I didn't know anything about Rennie Macintosh. I just googled it, it's an artist, right? There are some things of his work that reminds me of my work. Cool :) .

2. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

hope you get that scrollsaw and post the magic you make with that sucka!

3. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Yep, Scottish artist(and sorry, there's a k in mackintosh).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something to do with the squares, but not the roses:

[​IMG]

H.B.

4. Jeroenotje

Update!

Not every part came out as I hoped it would.. So I'll tweak it a bit.. And I will be making the front holder again.. and tweak it. What's done so far:
    Acrylic! I've bought three sheets. ACRyan stuff. 3mm clear, 3mm UV green, 5mm Uv green.
    [​IMG]
    I will be using this stuff a lot, the edges are lightning up at daylight. Notice the difference between 3mm and 5mm.
    [​IMG]
    To checkout the plexi with some UV light I decided to buy a.. gadget. I wanted something with LED's. A flashlight with 5 LED's or so. But I wasn't able to get one in Holland here.. (And they are 50 dollar or so outside the country.) So I bought this thingie at a poststampcollectorsshop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Did I show you the bending work? Probably not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To bad I didn't take pictures of the bending itself. I couldn't figure out a good way. What I did was, bending it around a pipe. Clambed the shield onto it and smashed it around the pipe with a block of wood and a hammer.
    Back to the acrylic. A strip of 3mm thick UV green, taped down. I't's wider than the shields.. Hmmmmmmm......
    [​IMG]
    Cut down...
    [​IMG]
    Here's the tricky part. Tape down the front of the shield. Put it down, heat up the acrylic and clamb it down with a piece of wood. Push it down, let it cool down.., That's the way I did, worked perfect. The heating is done with a .. paint burning thingie.. err. I have no idea how people call these things, lol.
    [​IMG]
    Drilled the holes, tapped them and bolted them. One by one. After that it was just a matter of filing and sanding the plastic to size. One is already done.
    [​IMG]
    Just a cool picture.
    [​IMG]
    I putted this thing I my vise as it says.. CRACK! Right.. on top, there's the crack. Not a big problem, just made a new one.
    [​IMG]
    All done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Errrr....?
    [​IMG]
    See what I want? I thought it might be beautifull to let everything came forward.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What a mess.. And everythings smells like.. Burned plastic.
    [​IMG]
    Yay!
    [​IMG]
    The edges are not polished or whatever. Just sanded down. I don't know what to do with them. Just sand everything down, or polish them up. What do you guys think? I think I'll try to polish them up and checkout how it looks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This front holder is driving me nuts! The holes aren't lined up, so the shields aren't either. The shields theirselfs are perfect! The holder in the holder are not :( . I should have remake this thing already. This is why the shields aren't lined up perfectly.. More next time :) !

5. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

starting to come together nicely. come on, give us a couple night picks with the UV lit up! >,<

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

That's gorgeous now...can't wait to see how the rest of the case turns out! Keep it up, you're really good at the metalwork stuff.

7. Teyber

Teyber ******

holy sh!t!

can you give me the steps you followed to get a mirror finish? and what polishing compound?

8. Jeroenotje

@ elbarto241: I'll try that when it's more finished.
    @ boiled_elephant: Thanks :D
    @ Tile: I might going to try that before I make a new one. The holes were tapped, but one is f*#d up already. Thanks :) .
    @ Teyber and everyone else: First, you need to start wetsanding... Up to grid 1200 is fine, but you can do it with less. 600 or so; that will give you a little less smooth result at the end and the buffing will take longer. Anyway, after wetsanding you'll have to start buffing. Actually I don't know what compound I am using, it's kind of dark stuff. No liquid stuff, just a dark block of compound. Most polishing tips can be found in my worklog. Make sure your buffing wheel is cleaned up and don't worry if it doesn't work in the beginning, the fibers need to break up.

9. Jeroenotje

The shields are perfect... It's just the holder that is.. f&*#d up. I'm not going to tweak my perfect tapped holes in my shields. I do not prefer the easy way, I prefer the good way ;) . So.. I might going to drill out the holes in the holder and use nuts to fasten everything. If that doesn't work... Then making a new holder is much easier then.. Drill out all the holes and hoping everything will fit. Yeah, stay tuned :) .

10. Jeroenotje

No.. Because when you screw the holder in place.. And you'll try to mount the shields after that.. There's no way you can fasten the nut.. Stupid design.. I didn't thought of it before building it.. Hm, I'll think up something. Like riveting everything in place. Besides that, tapping holes is pretty easy ;) . Just a matter of using the right stuff.
    Anyway, I think I'll mount the shields on the backside with nuts. Because there's enough space on the back. There's a crazy update coming, you'll see ;) .

11. Jeroenotje

Update!

First, special thanks to Jeroen Zelle . He is providing me webspace for the pictures :) .

The backside of the PSU.
    The holder, taped of and cutted away what needs to be filed away.
    [​IMG]
    LOL.
    [​IMG]
    Done, the upper one is the cardboard mockup..
    [​IMG]
    The holders for the side, drawn out on a piece of aluminium..
    [​IMG]
    Tadaa!
    [​IMG]
    How to make sure they get identical?
    [​IMG]
    To make the grooves to bend, I used a hammer and.. that thingie you see on the pic. Worked fine :) . You can see that the alu already starts to bend at the groove :) .
    [​IMG]
    Bending..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cool !
    [​IMG]
    Meanwhile.. I turned 18 yesterday. I had so much fun at my birthday :) . I didn't get a scrollsaw... But I'll have my first driving lesson wednesday. Friends of my decided to gave me a car. Ollie was the person to test it... This pic was taken last night, around one o clock. After all my friends figured out what sounds this car made, lol. I just had to show you guys this picture. So much fun!
    [​IMG]
    Cool. Holders.
    [​IMG]
    Fits :) .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, I've made some cardboard mockups for the side shields.
    What I think looks cool:
    [​IMG]
    That was cool. The shields still dó not fit perfect. I think that the holder on the inside would look better with some UV green behind it, to. Just like the holder at the back. What do you guys think?
    Working at the PSU starts to irritate me. I want to finish it ASAP, I think I'll do the polishing later on. I'd like to start working on the CRT, the frontpanel and the harddisks. I'd love to build in the hardware ASAP. I already designed a lot of stuff. More, probably this week. All kinds of reactions are welcome again :) !

12. Nsonic

Nsonic What's a Dremel?

Love your details Jeroenotje!
    Nice casemod

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

^^ As above.

14. Jeroenotje

Thanks guys... About to update...

15. Jeroenotje

Update!
    To start with the.. UV-green acrylic behind the front holder. Make sense?
    Piece cut to size. Holes tapped and drilled. Then cut away what needs to go. That's one of the ways you could do...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tadaa!
    [​IMG]
    Cool, until I was drilling the holes.
    [​IMG]
    Would have been cool, so let's make a new one.
    [​IMG]
    Drilling the holes before doing any filing didn't turned out good either.
    [​IMG]
    S*&^@*&(*Q#!
    [​IMG]

Something completely different..
    [​IMG]
    Not completely useless... Because,
    [​IMG]
    Side shields for the back. Made them out of alu either. Same story as seen before I guess? I forgot to take pics of... Backside of the PSU is almost done, just needs to be sanded an polished...

Still frustrated from the broken acrylic I decided to start with something completely different :) .
    Scrap.. (alu ;) )
    [​IMG]
    Sanded down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Errrrrrrrr.... The upperside of the case.. right?
    [​IMG]
    Ahaah!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I needed something for that.. Something. Smart. And I didn't know where to mount it .. more in the front, or in the back. So:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Figure saw and some filing work was needed..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tadaa!
    Front:
    [​IMG]
    Back:
    [​IMG]
    Middle:
    [​IMG]
    The PCB for the CRT wil be covered by a housing/shielding. That will provent the rest of the case from radiation and high voltages. But most of all it's just for fun, looks and to hold cables. Same style as the PSY ofcourse ;) . I will mount some acrylic between the alu and the PCB. Yeah, more next time ;) .
    All reactions arre welcome again ;) .

16. tolis86

tolis86 What's a Dremel?

this is my fav mod.....

17. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

To be honest you are an incredible inspiration to my modding project (which is not even near being completed though). I just love your work!

One thing that might make yours even cooler, is lighting all of the green acrylic in your project. How's that?

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Brilliant.

19. floriske.nl

floriske.nl What's a Dremel?

Good to see some familiar faces here at BT! Expecially if they produce some very nice modwork!

You sure know how to take your time for your project (look who's talking ;)) but I'm sure this will show of in the result!

20. THRASHER2

THRASHER2 Pimpin' Deals 24/7

Chrome+Plexi= SWEEEEEEEEET!:dremel: