1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Black Metallic - LCD Paint Job

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Techx, 23 Oct 2006.

1. Techx

Techx What's a Dremel?

This is my first paint project and actually took me several months to complete in my spare time. Someone at work gave me their 15" LCD, which has been sitting next to a window exposed to the sun for several years. Sun+Beige plastic^time=piss yellow... It was so ugly I had to take action... Here's what it looked like when I got it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted it to have a nice flat, semi reflective paint job and started to sand it down and throw primer on all of the pieces

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then a lot of wet sanding.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided on a a chrome/silver paint for the smaller peices

[​IMG]

I originally wanted black gloss, but after trying 2 cans of Duplicolor brand, the paint did not come out evenly or in a fine mist, but instead it spit out unevenly in blobs, no idea why this happened so I used a can of rustoleum metallic black which turned out nicely. Here it is after several clear coats and reassembled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also tried several different cans of clear coat on the chrome but it always resulted in turning the chrome to grey, why this happened I don't know so I put another chrome layer and skipped clear coating it. There is some orange peel on them as well but I don't care, don't need to be that perfect for a 15" lcd :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heh, the 2405 dwarfs the 15"er

[​IMG]

I at least achieved what I wanted, to get a relatively smooth black semi-reflective surface.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's mostly done but I still want to change the power led, which turns orange when in standby and green when it's on, so I'm not sure what to do about that. Also want to install led's on the base as it has open "vents" which could create some nice lighting effects.

2. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

110% better! Great paint job, looks fantastic. :thumb:

3. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

way more than that! good job on that monitor, man, it looks really good. i suggest blue lighting for the grills, it will match your keyboard and mouse (and blue/black/silver is just bad ass)

4. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

dude, looks stock :)

Good work!

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Looks brilliant, are you talking about the vents on the back?

6. Techx

Techx What's a Dremel?

Thanks :thumb: Yeah there are several openings on the back of the base..

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I would personally put a low output LED behind the buttons, just to make em look nice. And the same with the base, I wouldn't put anything too bright because it may illuminate your ceiling.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Gah that original color is TERRRRRRRIBLE. Looks like puke from the 70's. Really good job with the painting.

Tho I guess you don't spend too much time watching the 15" when there's that nice Dell next to it ;o

9. hellas91

hellas91 What's a Dremel?

Very nice,excellent!;)