1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

Well done!

BTW, now it looks like those buttonhead screws between USB cover and screen cover would also like to have some acrylic undernearth :D .

2. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

I have to agree with everyone else, the new USB cover is sexy.

3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Thanks_much Guys..I think the new USB cover is an improvement as well.
    Firehed:
    As all the front-bolts are std. (not countersunk type), I think I will stick with what I have..
    The rad-mount has not changed, it's just been a long time..There's a very old picture (2-bolts front..2-bolt bottom):
    [​IMG]
    Bending acrylic:
    no real secrets, highest heat:
    [​IMG]
    remove the paper from the acrylic's back side..Bend-a-little..let cool..Bend-some more..
    bolts:
    the upper section of the case uses smaller (M3) "low-profile" hexbolts on the Aquaero and M5 low-profile hexbolts on the front laser-etch..
    the radiator and the usb cover use std. (with washers) M5 hexbolts..I also used M5 standards on the side window..
    [​IMG]

Zds also had a great idea: "add some red acrylic under the radiator mounting bolts"..
    sounds like a great idea.. :thumb: I wonder if I will ever finish this project..

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  4. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

It will end when you quit breathing. :thumb:

5. themark

themark What's a Dremel?

Whoa... I hadn't checked in here for months due to other commitments and lo and behold this project is still inching along. Brilliantly executed, superb detail... you've heard all before Modsquad. Just button it up and start something new, I for one, would like to see more from you.

This goose is cooked, on to desert.

*note to fanboys! I am not dissing this project, it's awesome, but 101+ pages is just milking it now.

6. modsquad

I would like to finish the project, but your correct I am inching along..Time is the problem..I bet I spend 3-4 hours making that little USB cover (and who knows how long to come up with the idea). As for another project, there is one. :dremel: Soylent Green
    And there will be more projects to follow..But right now, my hands are full..

7. modsquad

Here's the long promised list of links:

H20 cooling gear:
    Aqua-Computer
    Innovatek
    Alphacool
    EkWaterBlocks
    The top three "small-bore" H20 cooling companies, but AC has the edge in my book. EK is the "new kid on the block"..VERY nice h20-blocks..
    US retailers for the above:
    SharkaThe only game in town for aqua-computer gear. The only other option is to order from
    it-trade the same place Sharka gets AC it's gear. There are some payment and shipment limitations with IT-trade, so email them for details.
    High SpeedPC all things Innovatek and great service.
    AlphaCool gear is now available from FrozenCPU, PerformancePC and Sharka..MAN, 3-retailers..That is close to "main-stream".. :hehe:
    Premium Aquatics a great "full-line" dealer for the best (IMO) pumps on the market, Eheim.. Aqua-Computer has some great "add-ons" for Eheim's 1046 and1048 pumps, namely the FULL METAL JACKET A must have in my book. They also make a very cool bolt-on reservoir for the COMPACT 600
    It's "big-bore" stuff but I feel the need to give a "heads-up" to
    PolarFlow they make some wonderful gear..
    Let's move on to LCD and/or VFD's for your project..You know you need one..If you are following along and want to monitor flow-rate in your "small-bore" H20 loop you need an Aqua-Computer Aquaero or Innovatek Fan-0-Matic with it's FLOW METER
    The big "players" in the display field are:
    Matrix Orbital and
    Crystal Fontz for my money, I would go with MO (having used both) MO's displays are a bit-EZer to see (read cleaner fonts..EZer to read). The problem with Martix Orbital is it's software! It's not "in-house" it's second-party:
    LCDC software is needed to use the MO display..Don't get me wrong LCDC work perfectly, but I don't like the principle.. You will want/need:
    MBM for your display..Plugs-into LCDC. Another problem..MBM wil not see anymore updates. WE should be OK for the "time-being"..
    Two links everyone should have:
    McMaster-Carr
    MSC Industrial Supply
    Both carry just about everything a modder could want/need. MSC has a better supply of tools though.
    Other odds/ends can be had at:
    small parts inc.
    lsdiodes
    online metals
    us plastic corp.
    LEDtronics
    allied electronics
    mouser electronics
    state electronics
    superbright LEDs
    Stainless steel bolts of all kinds and sizes can be had at:
    bolt-depot excellent service and you can purchase only what you need (one bolt if need be).
    another is:
    chrome bolt
    Let's move on to acrylic (aka plexi-glass or Lexan). Every project will need some acrylic. While US Plastic has a excellent selection, I get ALL my acrylic from cutting edge case mods it seems his (Chris) website is not "up and running"..I know not why.
    other options:

TAP Plastics as well as:
    Delvies Plastics
    To work with acrylic you will need:
    NOVUS compounds and
    Plexi-Point drill bits
    Novus scratch remover (fine&heavy) are "must-haves" nothing better. There acrylic Clean&Shine is also very good, dust repellent and antistatic protection..Plexi-Point drill bits help in eliminating cracking when you drill your (needed) holes. You don't need a hole set, just a few "small-size" bits. I have never had acrylic crack when "enlarging" the small-holes I drilled with my PP-bits. Also don't cut/drill acrylic in a cold location, your just asking for trouble!
    Laser-etched acrylic (like my devilBoy side window):
    Xport1 is my first choice. They do great work..But they "always" seem to be back-logged. So expect a bit of a wait on your order.
    Frozen CPU seems to be expanding there line of laser-etched windows, but unlike Xport1 they want an "arm&leg" to do custom (one-off) etches..
    General computer mod-stuff:
    Frozen CPU
    Performance-PCs
    CrazyPC
    Plycon
    So-TrickComputers
    Sharka
    HighSpeed PC
    MnPCtech
    Case Mod
    Jab-tech
    Xoxide
    Mountain Mods
    SideWinder Computer
    and lets not forget the monolith that is:
    NewEgg
    Custom paint. Although I did no painting on this project, it's an important part of mod-computers. Using (and or learning to use) an airbrush is a great advantage. If for no other reason the "endless" color combinations you can create with the use of an airbrush. A great resource for airbrushing gear, infact all sorts of "art-supplies" is:
    DickBlick
    Geared toward the auto painter is:
    AirBrush Depot this place is "one stop shopping" for all things painting: from sandpaper to rubbing compound to paint itself, they have it all. Speaking of paint, I only use two brands:
    House of Kolor
    AutoAir by Createx
    Both will give you wonderful results..I favor autoair because they are water-based making clean-up very EZ..When I use autoair paint (color) I finish it up with:
    PPG they make a fantistic clearcoat. In fact it's the same clear used on many GM-cars..

::Just getting started, no way can I do this in one night!!::
    Merry Christmas from the SlaughterHOuse:
    [​IMG]

8. Goth

Goth What's a Dremel?

Very spooky picture, almost craped in my pants
    :D

9. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

That is the issue that so many people who have never done this just don't understand. Most of the time is spent dreaming up ways to do things and very few items actually make it out into real life. Even after integrating an idea into reality sometimes it doesn't turn out right and then it is back to the drawing board. As the project nears completion it gets even rougher because your options to do certain things becomes limited based on what you have already done before. So please get off Modsquad's back about milking this project, okay? :sigh:

10. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

i agree with tn

i have TONS of idea's, i spend literally hours and hours just sitting there thinking of what i could do to make something better or work well.... it may be 101 pages, but it sure as hell is worth it!

the attention to detail in this project makes up for the long (like a book) read

if he had of just slogged it out in a few days it wouldnt be as awesome or as attentative as it is right now....

11. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

i also agree, the miriad of ideas i have is insane, but due to being at univiersity, im not near our garage, which has more tools/equipment than most work shops do! so i settle for sketchup & paper. it really allows me to see into a project, and the time i spend on an idea is directly proportional to the time spent making the item; if i design it well/think it through properly, then i dont have to spend so much time thinging of the minet detais, like iner angles of joints during design time.

milking it? no way. doing properly/to a high standered? Undoubtably.

12. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

Hear hear.

Give master the time he needs. Being quick and getting perfect results are usually mutually exclusive.

13. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Respect from one patient modder to another, chief.

14. modsquad

Spooky-INdeed..That's the side-window of BN..

This project log is a "weekly" diary of the making of this machine (no more, no less). All the twist and turns, all the successes and failures, all the highs and lows..It's long yes. 1000+ pictures and 100+ pages and a year+ in the making. IMO, a work log should be just that: a step-by-step "book" on what it takes to make a custom computer. The pictures are cropped, but there is NO "time-compression" in this work log, it reads just as it played out in real life.. :thumb:

Last edited: 5 Dec 2005
  15. Goth

Goth What's a Dremel?

modsquad, u should make an book from ur computer
    i think it would be titled Black Narcissus: The Mod
    it would be an quite interesting book ... the failures, pictures modding, modding first boot-up etc. :D

16. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

yeah, we call that book... a project log :p

17. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

[​IMG]

18. modsquad

Indeed, a project log is a "book"..Quite a lengthy one in the case of BN (aka War&Peace)..
    No progress to report (its a busy time-of-year). All I can offer is a few new pictures (taken with my new Canon 20D). The machine is running great, it has become my "work-horse" PC..AMD FX-55 and Nvidia 6800Ultra..Not the fastest (anymore) but VERY fast...PICTURES:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight".. :brrr:

19. rhysmodder

rhysmodder What's a Dremel?

nice project... i love the mix of the dark red and black. The case reminds me of hell although i cant quite remember going there! ;)

20. Goth

Goth What's a Dremel?

i really love this project... these mod's are a big-big-big honor to bit-tech ...
    ot: btw, im counting days to my own project log. hint: Opteron goodness :)