1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Mosha

Mosha What's a Dremel?

I, would put the CD/DVD Drive all the way ontop because it doesn't seem to "fit" in properly there, its like a big thing hanging out in the middle.

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

That would be impossible here's why

3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I don't have clearance to install the DVD on top (reservoir in the way) and I like the way the front panel looks..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  4. Valo

Valo Minimodder

i think you could bondo theese faceplates so there would be no seams between them :)

it would make the etch look even more outstanding. this mod roox.

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Instead of bondo you could fab a piece of aluminum then paint it black.

Just for the reccord I like it just theway it is, I was simply elaborating on valo's plan.

6. Valo

Valo Minimodder

yea... aluminium would be better. you'd still have the bay faces in case you would like to remove stuff from front and also it would be more clean.

ehh... the wonders of not having slept for last 48 hours...

7. modsquad

Langer,Valo thanks for the idea. I had not given it much thought (you can't see the lines in person, it's the camera flash or some sort of reflection). But you got me thinking, what happens when I light the inside of the case? I am sure those lines will be visible. As it is only light making it's way between the small gaps of the stock Lian Li bay plates I think I can take Langer's idea and alter it a bit. If I put the aluminum panel inside the case it will block the light. That would be much EZer to do and should work. Again thanks for your idea (although you did make more work for me).. Then again, perhaps the mirrored acrylic backing plates will serve a dual purpose and also block the light?
    MS

Last edited: 8 Nov 2004
  8. modsquad

I have been playing around with the front panel and that line between the bay panels won't go away. It is a light reflection.. I think it looks good as is, and would be a major undertaking to change it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No change in my plans..thanks for the ideas never the less.That is why I posted this project in the first place. Perhaps someone can "learn from my mistakes"
    MS

9. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

why not put a sheet of metal behind the etched plezi? secure it using the same screws and it *should* eliminate your problem.
    Just my 2pence :p
    Also good work man, keep it up!

10. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Thats good.. Or use a piece of that mirrored stuff you have and slide it behind plate. That way when light hits it it might get a bright reflection back. Sorta like a pissed of man when a ora (sp?)

11. modsquad

The red acrylic would no longer be flush with the front of the case. The lian li bay plates would need to be recessed deeper into the case. That would mean taping/redrilling the bolt holes for the bay covers.

12. Pistol

Pistol Guest

So get a piece of black posterboard?

I think it looks good as is, but the effect is lost when I can see the lines behind the etch. It's up to you, your case and I like it fine that way :baby:

13. modsquad

It would have to be something very-thin for me to avoid redrilling those bolt holes.

14. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

how bout tin foil or paper or something
    and if it needs to be black
    paint it black

15. modsquad

I have some black plastic log book covers that should work.. I will get to it ASAP...Thanks Guys....

16. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

my cooling loop

Here is a crude picture of how I am going to set up my loop. I am going to run dual loops such that I have a CPU and a GPU loop. The purpose behind this is simple. With the AquagraFX 6800 I am concerned that cooling the GPU, GPU Memory, CPU and NB in one loop will add a lot of heat. I am hoping that the oversize Rad I have will still allow me to keep my temps below 50c with both loops. I am going to use black UV tubing for the second loop. It should look cool when I turn my UV lights on and be fairly invisible when they are off. I am curious to see how the little Aquastream pump is going to handle all of this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Nov 2004
  17. modsquad

Man that is an interesting idea.. Sho, your using those Aqua-Computer "plug&cool" (aka Legris) fittings? Let me know how they work out as well. I want to try them in a future project. It looks like your getting close........Keep up the good work.... and best of luck.......
    I have been following your project on Overclockers Forums. I need to join-up so I can post...Soo little time...

Last edited: 9 Nov 2004
  18. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

I think you will like the Plug&Cool fittings. They work very well. I was very skeptical at first but they have never given me any problems. I have noticed that you have to be very careful when moving the tubing. I was trying to bolt the pump down and moved the CPU inlet tube and it sucked in some air. No leak, just this hissing sound while it sucked in air. Other than that I haven't has any problems.

All I need now is the AquagraFX 6800 and the Aquastream and I will be done. I have an idea for a passively cooled case using Aqua-Computer parts but the parts are just too hard to come by.

I am looking forward to the day when you fire this rig up. You are going to love the Aquero. The temperature fan controlled option is cool.

Oh, your dvd carbon fiber mod is incredible. That really adds a very nice look to the interior. :thumb:

19. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

This is a real top notch quality job... everything has its place and looks like it was always ment to be that way. Way to go! :dremel:

For your etching: try kiddy construction paper as a backer. works great and it will stay flush. I have used it my self many times.

20. modsquad

Chrome and Mirrors

The more I look at the mirrored acrylic backing plate the more I like it.
    [​IMG]

But I also feel the black carbon fiber DVD drive is a little distracting from what would be (when finished a full mirrored back plate). What to do. Get the Plextor DVD burner chrome plated.. So, I ripped off the carbon fiber stuff and took apart the drive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Plextor has some sort (first time I have seen this) of drive stabilizer that fits into the 2.5" hole in the top of the drive cover.

[​IMG]

That 2.5" aluminum circle is very thin. I don't think I will be able to polish or plate it, but on the other hand it will not be seen once the drive is installed in the case.
    I will get the drive off to the chrome guy tomorrow..