1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Sclodion

Sclodion What's a Dremel?

Are you interested in selling on the Innovatek block, I was about to order one, but your polished one would be a very nice addition to my system!

2. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Sorry>>I have plans for it....

3. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

wow looking great, have watched this thread for ages... Can I ask build cost to date?

4. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

so much work to such a nice case. man, hurts me to see these new Lian Li's getting chopped up but your work is great. i'm just jealous b/c i can't afford the case much less mod it.

5. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

Just had to add my $0.02. Been following this project for a while and am amazed at what you have accomplished. I too have an obsession with all things Aqua Computer. Still waiting on the black Aquaero faceplate. Hopefully we will get them next week!

A question on the 6800 block, did you get the rev. 2 with the spring-loaded heat exchanger? I'm temped to buy a couple of them, buy the copper replacement cores, and then build an SLI setup...

Keep up the great work! :thumb:

6. unrealhippie

Also revision 2 when you change to copper, the block's warrenty is gone, but temps 'should' be worth it.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Not to mention you no longer have an Al/Cu mix in watercooling systems, which as most know isn't a good idea unless you have a proper nastification inhibiting additive.

8. modsquad

CCFL Set Up

Yesterday I worked on installing the two sets of CCFL I will be using on the project. One 12" pair up front and a single 4" inside
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am getting the lighting effect I want, but the color is a little closer to orange than red..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess I will have to try other brands of CCFL tubes in the search of real RED...

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  9. Firehed

I've heard that wrapping colored cellophane (sp?) around the CCFL tubes can give a much better red color (or any color for that matter). Should be fairly cheap, and if you would replace the cathodes anyways no harm done if it doesn't work.

And if no luck, LEDs are always a good alternative. Can't go wrong with an LSDiodes 45c 5000mcd red.

10. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

I also heard that going over the cathodes with a red marker can help, but thats an extremely cheap way to do it

11. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Most craft stores sell a transparent paint in a rattlecan that gives the "stained glass effect" when sprayed on plexi.

I was having the same problem with my ccfls so I bought a can of this stuff and sprayed them. They are now the blood red I was looking for :thumb:

It will make the lights a lot dimmer but the color will be so much truer.

Hope this helps :thumb:

12. eclectik

eclectik What's a Dremel?

Awesome, i love it :thumb:

13. invader crack

invader crack What's a Dremel?

such a sweet side panel ive always wanted to get a nice laser etch for my rig :D but i think it'll wait for a much better setup then i got goin ow :hip:

14. modsquad

Thanks for the EZ fix Firehed. I will give it try. The side panel is less of a problem. I had planned from the begining to have a red acrylic cover for the laser-etch (bolted in the same pattern as the reservoir)
    [​IMG]
    I just have not got around to finishing it. The red circle needs to be drilled and the laser-etched window needs to be tapped for the stainless bolts to hold the two together. It will (more/less) match the look of the front panel, but as the CCFL also exits the rear of the case..it would still be a problem at that. The cellophane sounds like a great idea..You have been very helpful from the start of this project..Thanks ..........

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  15. Firehed

well I still can't afford my own LL v-series so I'll just try and make yours better :thumb: Just some tips from lazymodder to unlazymodder :hehe:

16. iMod

iMod What's a Dremel?

dude thats evil as hell looking, and i love it !!! great work , keep it coming :rock:

17. modsquad

"Money is the root of all evil"... So my laser-etch fits the bill..Someone asked (a few post back) what I had invested in BN.....ALOT....of money as well as time (which is money), but I did not start this project with a set spending limit (or timetable)...I am building the computer that (my) dreams are made of....
    MS-----Did you count all the cliches in my manifesto??

18. modsquad

I did purchase the REV.1 all aluminium (the Innovatek NV40 I was going to use is aluminium/copper). I planned on using Innovatek's InnovaProtect concentrate from day one.
    But wouldn't you say 99% of H20 cooled systems are mixing copper/aluminium/stainless steel/plastic when all is said and done? You would need a copper (or aluminium) radiator;blocks and reservoir as well as matching fittings..The fittings are stainless, so OK and perhaps your aluminium res. may have a anodized or powder-coated finish...I would not put together a H20 cooled loop without "nastification inhibiting additive"... It is just like your cars cooling system, various metals as well as plastic...

Last edited: 4 Dec 2004
  19. LsdBoy

LsdBoy What's a Dremel?

Sunbeam ccfl's are really red. That is what i have heard.
    [​IMG]

20. unrealhippie

also most ccfl horror stories include sunbeam..

oh and MS, you didnt answer the price question, I know the time involved is worth alot more in my opinion, but its nice to know what some of the top mods of BT have cost!