1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Jock

Jock Banned

Been keeping an eye on this thread since the beginning, and felt it was time I posted.

Excellent work man! You are an inspiration to us all :hip: :D

2. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Modsquad,
    I like your mod quite alot. You got a nice theme going on there.
    In fact I like it so much, i've ordered myself a Cuplex Evo.
    Though I don't own the superb hardware you do, I like the looks.

Keep it up! Don't give away in indifference.. mod all the way :thumb:

3. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

looking real sweet good job.

- S

4. Dean_j2001

Dean_j2001 What's a Dremel?

really nice work modsquad

can't wait to see you get this beuty fired up, id be intrested to see the temps you get on the fx55 chip as i have about £2,000 and wan't a new rig still deciding on what to get etc

anyway love you work very neat and clean, good luck with the rest of the project

5. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Great work~~!!

do more, more, more! :p

6. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Sorry I took a while to get back to you, I had a second look and I think you were right. They look a lot like compression put don't have the sealing screw but are all-in-one fittings instead.

However, I did find some compression fittings for you here - http://www.watercoolingshop.com/cat...49_55&osCsid=9166dcbe71bef7d1eb045908330ed9c6

Hope that helps
    :thumb:

7. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

AMD A64 FX-55 & Chrome

Thanks for all the positive comments over the last few days guys, as always I appreciate your feedback! Just a small update before I head out to celebrate 2005. I finally got my parts back from the chrome dude (the last of the parts I need chromed for this project, well maybe).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was also able to get my hands on a AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor. I just had to plug it in the socket!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have a little vacation time coming after the holiday and will be working on the following:
    Get the Aqua-Computer Cuplex Evo installed and work-out the H20 loop.
    Get those chrome parts installed and do a little polishing on the divider plate of the V1000B (you know, the area the pump is mounted on).
    Until then..Have a Happy New Year!! and remember, don't drink and mod....

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

FX55... you suck.
    Although my new winchester 3000+ isn't too shabby in itself... I need to figure out the A64 overclocking method... it's a bit harder than intels. Still I've got a 350mhz OC with the stock cooling which isn't that bad.

Love that chrome... it'll look awesome once you get it all mounted.

Chrome the FX55!

Just found something else that may be worth polishing... the retention bracket for the 6800. It just doesn't look right next to the shinyness of the LL filler plates.

9. modsquad

Firehed...Don't hate me because I have the best (SPEED)-chip money can buy....You have a good EYE. The mounting bracket for the BFG-6800 ULTRA is mystery metal. It can not be polished, it would need chrome. I may have more parts for the chrome dude for project SG..So we will see.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=72728&page=5
    AMD A64 FX-55............Speed is what we need..........................I could be wrong, but I think chrome plating the FX-55 would void the warranty!! :hehe:

Last edited: 1 Jan 2005
  10. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

wow, i jsut read through all 37 pages, and i think my eyes are bleeding. i dunn oif its from all the shiny wonderful ness, or the long reads. Its an amazing inspiration, subscription time! what I want to know is how will u be planning on taming all those wires? I can't wait to see!

11. k3rnel

k3rnel What's a Dremel?

How much is the chrome plating costing?

12. Firehed

I was just commenting how unfair it is... and if I have a good eye then I'm the one that needs max AA :)

If it needs chrome it should get it :) Just don't forget you may need to drill out the holes a tiny bit depending how much thickness chrome plating adds, which I would assume is enough to make it something to watch out for. Dunno I've never chromed anything.

13. Shadowcaster

Shadowcaster What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I wonder how much that costs as well.

14. modsquad

I had the above two pieces chromed as well as a DVD drive cover and pump support for project SG at the same time. The total for the four was $140US chrome plating is not cheap!

15. modsquad

That is a good question, I wonder about "wire-taming" myself.
    I experimented with hand-polishing the divider-plate of the case today...No better. So, it will stay as-is. In order to do the job correctly I would have to remove everything and most likely even drill-out the pop-rivets holding the plate in the case and then polish away... I also did a phase1 mock-up of the H20 loop. PLEASE< don't slam me and say the loop is sloppy, it will by no means remain the way it looks at this point, but you have to start somethere.
    [​IMG]
    The loop has two different sizes of Tygon. 3/8" and 7/16" OD, both of which work with my 8mm compression fittings.
    [​IMG]
    I need to decide which way to go. I am leaning toward the smaller 3/8" OD. EZ'er to work with... We will see.

16. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

Im wondering why everyone is so afraid for their hardware when they use an eheim pump? So far every mod I saw had a shield around the eheim pump. I used zillion of pumps already but never had any issues with the magnet in there..

17. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

If theres very little shielding on the pump by default it may distort your monitor

looking good btw

18. Firehed

Mostly because it looks better I'll bet.

I'd definately go with the 3/8"OD just because IMO the smaller tubing always looks a lot better. Considering the waterblocks you're using I'm surprised you didn't go for a plug&cool size setup (6/8mm). I guess that's just the difference between innovatek and AC, but then again I guess you have some of both don't you?

Shame the polishing of the centerplate didn't go that well but I suppose you need something to look at to avoid blindness from reflections.

God that watercooling loop is SO sloppy what on earth were you smoking when laying it out?!!?

j/k
    A lot nicer than mine anyways. In any case I'm too jealous about that hardware to be concerned how that loop really looks, and as far as I'm concerned you can't really make the small-bore stuff look ugly. Maybe if you tried I suppose.

19. nissmo300

nissmo300 What's a Dremel?

go with the 7/16, its a little bigger and give you some more flow to counter all those resitrictions you have (90 degree bends) in your system unless you don't care about performance but more of looks.

20. modsquad

The stock Eheim 1046 pump is BUTT-UGLY. Adding an Aqua-Computer FMJ makes it pretty, and getting it chromed makes it sexy as hell. No one should be using a Eheim 1046 or 1048 without a Aqua-Computer FMJ...As a bonus it does help with EM problems (I have read about wavy monitors with the Eheim pumps).
    As for the loop. I just put the loop together with old tygon I had on hand in order to get an idea of bends and lenghts I would need. I am going to go with the 3/8"OD. Looks better and EZer to work with. The stock Innovatek is the same OD and Aqua-Computer's tubing is even smaller. The problem with AC's Plug/Cool fittings is they are not compatible with Tygon tubing. Speaking of Tygon tubing. While I was in the Lab at work I noticed that Tygon makes a BLACK tube (R-3400). Everyone and there brother is using the CLEAR R-3603. So to be different, I ordered some Black R-3400. It's reason for being is that it is UV resistant, other than it's opaque black color it is the same a R-3603 ( same temp range and bend radius). I have only seen a picture in a catalog. I ordered some and we will see how it looks in person. I am also thinking about using innovatek's spring-things on the hard-bends (I still wish I had a source for G1/8" elbow fittings). I may order a few of the AlphaCool ones and see how they look as well.
    [​IMG]
    We will see. Today I pulled all the tubing out and tomorrow I will get the Aqua-Computer Cuplex Evo installed..