1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I have not had time to look to be honest with you. I will do some searching this weekend, but I have a plan to "hide" the SATA cables if I end up using the longer ones..

Last edited: 19 Mar 2005
  2. modsquad

Vandal Switch & LEDs

Before I can install my Aqua-Computer Aquaero VFD, I need to finalize the power switch and the two front panel 5mm LEDs.
    [​IMG]
    The two 5mm LEDs will be controlled by the Aquaero and monitor H20 temp:
    RED=always on. reservoir H20 temp within specified range.
    BLUE= will come if reservoir H20 is HOT..Something is wrong!
    The actual power-on LED will be in the reservoir itself.
    The two 5mm LEDs are mounted in chrome clips and held in place with a little Silicon sealant.
    [​IMG]
    I will not be using the Bulgin vandal switches LED (too much IMO) and I also decided against a red acrylic back-plate. Sometimes less-is-more.
    [​IMG]
    Getting crowded in there! :worried:
    [​IMG]
    That is about it for today. I will just add a few front view pictures..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I will get the Aqua-Computer Aquaero VFD installed soon..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Sep 2008
  3. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

why not do it as blue always on and red comes on when it gets hot...Makes more sense to me :O

4. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Now thats stupid, his whole case is red, he would never spot it and it would all go *bang* :p

5. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

dude, i love the case. It's absolutely gorgious(SP) but i think my eyes are bleeding. ive been reading this for 4 hours.

6. modsquad

It would make sense, but I would not want a blue LED on the case illuminated all the time (color scheme).. :thumb:

7. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

why not have one led, always on for good, blinking for bad. I think a blinking LED attracts a bit more attention than just an off colored one

8. modsquad

You are correct ( and a good idea), a blinking-LED would attract more attention. I need to read the Aquaero 3.07 manual over again, but I am 99% sure I can set the blue LED to blink via Aquaero software.
    The Aqua-Computer Aquaero's are expensive for a 2-line display:
    VFD@ $300US--What I have.
    LCD@ $230US Plus the price of a flow meter ($40US) to give you a H20 loop flow rate #.
    But, as with all things Aqua-Computer. GREAT- Infinitely adjustable..
    I have purchased or installed displays by:
    Martix Orbital
    Crystalfontz
    Innovatek (fan-O-matic)
    The Aqua-Computer Aquaero 3.07 is by far the best I have seen..
    The unit needs a mod to fit into the case. I will not have time to install the AC Aquaero this weekend.
    I did make up some 34" single-molex extenstion cables and sleeve/heatshrink everything needed to LIGHT The CASE...
    [​IMG]
    Only time holding me back, TIME.....

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I am making a similar arrangement over the LEDbus of a MO display with LCDC. However here I am using a dual colour (blue/red) LED for the power indicator: blue=OK, red=pump fail/overheating.
    You could have a dual red/green LED: red for OK, flashing between red and yellow for problems. However with dual colour leds you will need one that shares a common anode, as most of these electronics switch over the - line.

10. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

Your mod is realy amazing.. :blush: :blush:

it looks a bit expensive :eeek: :eeek:
    but Keep on the good work :eeek: :eeek:

11. Razor_cut

Razor_cut What's a Dremel?

If you havent noticed, absolutely none of the most populare mods are done by schoolboys :rolleyes: , all very expencive etc. This mod is nice for the atention to detail etc, and simplicity to carry out on a simple color scheme. :thumb:

12. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

don`t lie look at aqua-pc (from Netherlands)

they won cebit :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

13. Razor_cut

Razor_cut What's a Dremel?

Well I missaid some things back there. Since Im a student that goes on college, so it must work.

Sorry for the ofT
    Looking forward to see some light in the case :thumb:

14. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

If i'm not mistaken (no pun intended) the guys who did Aqua-PC at CeBit had help from their family (brother/dad etc.)

I mean, if I got my family into PC's, the results should be awesome :cooldude:

But since my dad is an old hippy painter who just discovered the benefits of p2p, my mother still wonders how to turn on the 'box' and my small brother plays guitar all day long :wallbash: , i'm not getting any help!

If you catch my drift?

Ontopic:
    I'm backing you up on the Red/Blue MS.
    The Blue will be very noticable next to all the red.
    And hey, with A-C gear, you get what you pay for!! Nobody should complain about costs, it's the result that matter tbh.
    :clap:

Last edited: 20 Mar 2005
  15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well I'm 17 and I'm using all AC in my v2000 mod... :rolleyes: No it's not cheap but I am paying for everything. May not be the most well-known-about/popular but it's gotten its fair share of views.

But yes, nothing beats Aqua Computer. I love that idea, the indicator LEDs should be a nice touch over the standard power/hdd.

Hopefully you never see that blue LED blink except in testing :thumb:

16. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

With the level of talent it really amazes me how young some of you are although it probably shouldn't seeing as how I started around that age.

17. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

I really like the red face plate for the Aquero. Nice touch! The lights should be sweet to. I will check in with you after you get them installed. I'm thinking about it? :D

Are you going to sleeve the flow meter cable? I was thinking about doing it but, I can run it neatly along the back edge where it won't be seen. I'll admit that I can cut a hole in a $200 case but am gunshy sleeving a $2 cable.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2005
  18. modsquad

I had not planed to, the wiring for both the flow meter and the two LEDs will not be seen once the Aqua-Computer Aquaero VFD is in place.
    The plug on the end of the AC flow meter is a odd looking variant of the type used to connect a power switch or LED lead to the Motherboard header, but I think it could be removed in the same way. If you don't want to remove it, I would think the Techflex braided sleeving will fit over the plug (it's quite expandable) The plug is very small, perhaps the heatshrink will fit over it as well..Give it a go.. :thumb:
    A picture of the wire in question, if anyone is wondering what we are talking about.
    [​IMG]

19. modsquad

Aqua-Computer is the best, elegant design and solid performance (form&function). I think the LED temp monitor will work out well (I had original planned on the same set up but in the reservoir)..

20. modsquad

The Aqua-Computer Aquaero 3.07 VFD also has a option to make the LED's brightness temperature sensitive :) as the H20 temp increases, brighter Red LED, H20 temp reaches specified max temp- Blue LED starts to blink)..Very cool unit.. :thumb:
    On paper anyway. I have yet to try out the display in the real-world..

PS:
    I had "Great Expectations" (Dickens) of working on case lighting this weekend. Not going to happen. :duh: Not enough time & too many Beers..

Last edited: 21 Mar 2005