1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm definately going to have to hunt you down and steal that thing! Love how that brushed effect happened in the pic from the flash.... that just looks plain cool.

2. mrhanky

mrhanky New Member

you better hurry up, cause its sunday evening here and i still want to see te pictures

3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Aquaero VFD

Next up: the installation of the Aqua-Computer Aquaero VFD.
    [​IMG]
    I modified this unit months ago with a red acrylic face plate. It needs another mod to fit into the 5.25" bay
    [​IMG]
    The mounting rail on one side of the display needs to be shortened to allow room for the wire harness. :dremel:
    [​IMG]
    File the edge smooth.
    [​IMG]
    It's a tight fit for the display. As I won't have access to the back side of the display I will need to make all the connections before installation. Also I needed to remove the DVD drive to have more room to work in. I have a nice tight-fit with the red acrylic cover in the 5.25" bay (I needed to shave the acrylic a little to get the unit in place).
    [​IMG]
    You will notice I did not polish the top edge of the red acrylic face, thinking that it would not be seen after the install.
    [​IMG]
    I was wrong.
    [​IMG]
    Not a major problem, I need to remove the display and polish that edge. But not today.
    No time to fire-up the display either. A few more installation pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That is as far as I got. Buttoned the case back up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is "pretty close" to the way the machine will look when it is finished. Unless I change my mind..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still have the lighting and wire harness to work on as well as odds/ends. BUT I am getting close. I am pretty happy wth the look..
    [​IMG]
    Until next time. :thumb:

Last edited: 19 Sep 2008
  4. Firehed

Wow.

'nuff said

I'm craving for one of those VFDs more by the day. But alas, I already have another form of fan control in mind and it's so expensive. Maybe for another mod :dremel:

The CD stealther looks so out of place now... but I'm having a hard time finding a way to do that one in red due to how it mounts to the case. I'm sure you could find a way though.

Not to jinx it (knock on wood) but I'd be laughing my head off while crying if the display doesn't work :wallbash:

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Stupid Pre-mod Cd Stealth. Take blank bay, affix red acrylic with no visible bolts and such on front. Simple, effective, perfection.

edit - scratch that. 4 allen screws in the corners for effect.

6. IYIENACE

IYIENACE New Member

Hmm looking for a new adjective to describe this project.... :confused:

Elegant? ;)

7. Berrones

Berrones New Member

m8t congratz for the beutyfull project, lots of work there and money....

when i see your VGA Card omg...
    can u buy me 1 ??
    Congratz m8t :|

8. dynaty

dynaty New Member

red acryl on the aqua tube!!

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I believe the proper descriptor for this case is "kick ass" :jawdrop:. Gorgeous work, modsquad :rock:. Would be cool if you decorated the side panel (the non acrylic part) With undead figurines... I cant describe my idea further than that :worried:

10. OdDBaLL_MoD

OdDBaLL_MoD Always planning something...

Damn nice work! loving it :D :rock:

11. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

I'm highly impressed. Highhhhhhhhly. You, or someone, needs to publish a tutorial on plexi edge polishing. It should NOT take so long to do edges... which is one of the reasons I don't like polishing plexi... it takes FOREVER!

Btw: I'd change out the top of the aquatube for some red acrylic... the clear looks out of place IMHO.

12. Firehed

We actually went over that eariler... red acrylic is rather hard to find in 5mm thickness, and even harder to cut in a perfect circle.
    And it's an Inno. Fass-O-Matik, not an AC Aquatube.

Although considering all that's been done and spent, I think swapping it for a red aquatube may be a great idea, even if the top stays red. Although that would mean quite a bit of replumbing and whatnot since the AC stuff uses G1/8 and the Inno stuff uses G1/4.

13. Franklin

Franklin New Member

What a perfection :clap: :clap:

14. Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary New Member

I'd have to agree, this is perfection, I love the red :rock: :thumb:

15. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x New Member

I'm I the only one who notices the small pimping with the chromed action at behind the Lian-Li bezel :cooldude: . Or is the small spacing between the the imaged bezel and the drive not on purpose?

Looks like a winner though! Joining any modding-competitions when your ready MS? :thumb:

16. aevitas

aevitas New Member

I've read this thread from page 20 or so.. and it only got better and better. You really kept your style all the way through the progress and you didn't overdo it..

You're an example for me :thumb: Keep it up and finish that mod :dremel: :rock:

17. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

18. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Sorry for the slow response guys. Thanks for your comments and ideas.
    The Lian Li CD drive cover: I am not opposed to it, in fact I think it looks pretty good. Nothing against the method of CD stealthing (you know use a blank bay cover, bolt it to your drive tray,ect.) you see it on some many cases today it has become the norm. I was thinking about using the frame from the LL drive cover and making (or trying to make) the hindged door from red acrylic. I purchased an extra one months ago, but have not "messed" with it.

Having seen a red Aqua-Computer AquaTube, I can tell you the color would not match. A red acrylic cover plate is another story. True, a perfect 61mm circle would be hard to cut. I could contract Chris @ cutting edge case mods. I am sure he could/would make me one. His stuff is laser cut, so no problem for him. The reservoir (which is a innovatek model) will have a "always on" Red LED, so it will look more uniform then in the pictures I posted. I will work on the case lighting next, so we will see how it looks soon..

Polishing acrylic edges. I don't know of any short cuts. It's a slow-process and not much fun..But..
    Once again thanks for the feedback Guys. :thumb:

EDIT: I just got a email back from Chris at http://www.cuttingedgecasemods.com/ he will cut my little 61mm circle for the reservoir and ship it FOR FREE.
    What a nice guy! That is the hard part (I hope). I will still need to drill/countersink the six mounting bolt holes w/o cracking the thing..

Last edited: 20 Apr 2005
  19. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Member

Greetings most exalted ones...

I have been following this thread with great interest as I have a V2000 waiting for a ton of A-C parts due in Friday or Monday from Sharka Corp. I really like your work Modsquad! It shows originality of thought and artistic brilliance. Keep up the good work. BTW, did you see if any red plastic hex stock was available to make the red washers?

I read a while back that someone had an Aquaero LCD version. I think it is possible to get the VFD display, solder it on, and flash the firmware with the VFD version for a relatively inexpensive upgrade. :D You might also see if you could get the same Noritake VFD display here and save yourself some $$.

Here is a link to the Sharka initial stock order. It's a decent size pic at I think 2880 x 2160 so it might take a while to dl if you are on 56K. There is also a blurb on the Sharka site about the stuff going up on the website next Monday. I really feel sorry for Wes as that is a lot of pages of html to crank out!

As far as the Alphacool stuff goes I can only say to call Wes directly as they are really set up for web sales and it is quite difficult to take special orders over the website from what he has said. However, he is looking for ways to do just that. Please be somewhat patient as this really is quite a big undertaking on his part and a significant commitment of resources in both time and money. However the important part is that the stock is almost here and more is definitely coming in about 2 weeks. I think they have about 18 Cuplex XT's on order right now and I think only about 7 have already been sold. I also have a Silver Cuplex XT that will be coming in on the next shipment. :D All the color Aquatubes and a lot of Twinplex's are coming in on the next shipment as well from what I understand.

20. Firehed

Yeah Chris at CECM really is a nice guy :D Be careful drilling it! I'd use the original as a template although I'm sure you were already planning that :thumb: