1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Heh, I should send you a chunk of my yellow acrylic (unless you happen to have some from CECM) so I could see how good that looks. That's the one thing that I hate about my 'yellow-on-black' LCD - the yellow isn't very yellow (kinda somewhere between yellow and yellow-green, what can I say, I'm picky) and the black gets bled into massively by the yellow, not to mention the viewing angle makes it look like a "typical" black-on-yellow LCD from where I sit.

Like Sathy there, I was reading the beginnings of the project recently too. It's amazing how much it's changed, and I can't believe that the 'step...away...from the diamond plate' comment was in here (just stuck with me). *shudders at thought of diamond plate instead of the APE240 grill over red acrylic*

2. irish modder

irish modder What's a Dremel?

the last time i saw this thread, it was a few pages long, and i must say, i've been missing out. i saw this:

[​IMG]

and thought that maybe you could mount it through the bottom of the case so that when you would like to drain it, you could position the case over the sink or wherever you want to drain it and just turn the knob. i post very rarely in these forums, as anyone can see, but i really admire your work. hope you like the idea.

if anyone else suggested it, i'm sorry. i had to read 47 pages tonight to catch up...the eyes are tired.

cheers

3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

If you look at the back-side of the drain valve you will notice a hexhead plug. The plug can be removed and a G1/4" compression fitting with a lenght of tygon tube can be installed. Then you would be able to drain the loop. When finish, just remove the fitting & tubing and re-install the plug..Nice and clean..

4. modsquad

I have a collection of colored acrylic, but no yellow.
    What you are speaking of is the trade-off between CrystalFontz and Matrix Orbital LCD's. CF has a much larger font (EZ to see from a distance) than M/O but the price you pay is the bleeding you are seeing when viewed at close range...
    I wonder what the Radiant acrylic would look like as a screen (it would not work for BN but FF?). It's slight mirrored-quaility could look very neat. Text would end up blue/purple (perhaps even adjustable with the LCD's brightness/contrast controls)..Something to think about anyway..

5. Firehed

Send your VFD on over and I'll letcha know :D Just held up my bit of radiant though, and you can't even see through it onto my LCD. But then again, a VFD should be a lot better in that aspect.

6. modsquad

Chris at Cutting Edge sent me a few radiant "cut-offs"..
    The stuff works and looks VERY COOL as a screen for a VFD. No time to post any pictures tonight (most likely need to set-up the tripod to get good shots).

7. Firehed

Guess that lowers my chances of seeing an Aquaero VFD anytime soon in person. Oh well. Viewing angle on those things is very good right? IIRC I read ±170° or something. My LCD is probably about 25°

8. modsquad

The big advantages of VFD over LCD are brightness and viewing angle ( I think it is 140 degrees). Prices are coming down on VFD's. The Matrix Orbital 2-line VFD was $120US.
    Aqua-Computer want's "a pretty penny" for the Aquaero's. The LCD version is $230US and another $50 for the VFD model. But, nothing from AC comes cheap.

9. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Off Topic

Please excuse this intrusion into your thread, but something is up that is extremely time sensitive. :worried: I figured that some might be here or they might read this here sometime soon.

It is my understanding that several items listed below will not be coming anytime soon, if ever, from where they were originally ordered from:

4 each of a SilentStar HD Dual

one Cuplex EVO A64 Blue

Several AquagraFX 6800 rev 2 coolers

Several AquagratiX 800/850 combo coolers

Some Watercool G 1/4 valves # 16703

A couple of Xeon? # 12613 neXXXos covers

If you know about these items and still want them please PM me and I will see what I can do to see that you can still get them in a reasonable time frame. No guarantees, but I will try to help out where I can. :)

10. modsquad

This is all gear people ordered from SNT systems (it is listed in the SNT forum is backordered items). I am unsure what is going on with Dan and the boys at SNT. But I would think before people order again from Top Nurse they need to get ahold of Dan. I did (finally) I rebuilt my last order with items he had in stock. Dan has been very quiet, not even posting on his own forum. Not sure what is happening with SNT at this point in time and I also think that everyone knows the shark can order Aqua-Computer gear for people in the States.

11. Firehed

SNT is dying fast. Horrible timing for Dan's comp to die on him, what with Sharka coming into the picture for AC gear, but he has no excuse.

12. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

1/2 Off Topic

Yes I know about that SNT list, but that isn't where I got this list from. And I wasn't suggesting you buy any A-C gear from me as I don't sell the stuff...I just use it! :hehe: It is just a time sensitive issue because if it doesn't get resolved soon then the A64 Evo Blue, NeXXXos tops, and Dual SilentStar HD cooler is going to be returned to the respective manufacturer's. Then if someone wants the stuff they are going to have to wait even longer if the stuff isn't in stock when they do re-order it. I do have a fairly good idea of what is going on with SNT, but I really don't wish to discuss it or how I know it. The important part is that I wish to help people if I can. :)

BTW, is that an Innovatek valve sitting in the bottom of your case? I think I have one here that looks identical to it. I assume you are using it as a drain valve? I was going to do something similar with mine. But why the plug in the other end?

13. modsquad

It is a Innovatek drain valve at the bottom of the loop. The plug is there because it looks good..no other reason.. :thumb:
    Top Nurse, I don't know your affiliation with the Shark and it is none of my business. I do know you where instrumental in giving AquaFans in the States another option to purchase what I feel to be the best H20 gear on the planet. For that I say "thank you"..
    As for Danny and all things SNT. I have no idea what is situation is. What I can and will say is that in the last year+ I have spend over $2000 with him and received everything I paid for. Some orders took months/months to fill, others (for instock items) where shipped within the same week. Bottom line:
    Would I order from SNT today? No.
    Do I hope to order from SNT in the future? Yes.
    I want no part in a battle between SNT and the Shark..I build computers and Love Aqua-Computer equipment. This is a Project Log for a computer I am building using lots of AC gear..No more/no less.. :dremel:

Last edited: 20 May 2005
  14. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

There will be no more off topic posts in your thread.

So I apologize if you think I was trying to sneakily cut SNT out of some back order business. Where I got that list from was IT-Trade and they were the ones who wanted to help out people here in the USA. Otherwise they will send the stuff back to the respective manufacturers as except for the VGA coolers it is all non-stock items for them as well. The coolers themselves have already been spoken for.

Last edited: 20 May 2005
  15. modsquad

Second VFD part II

Last weekend I installed the Matrix Orbital MX-333 in the wire pass-through hole of the case. What I did not have time to show you, the problems this created..
    [​IMG]
    In order to get the M/O display centered in the hole, I needed to move the PSU back about a 1/2".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lucky for me, I had four of these in the "parts bin".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I honestly don't remember what or where they came from, but they are "just what the doctor ordered". Aluminum spacers of just the right lenght. Next problem, the mounting plate for the VFD interferes with the bottom bolt of the side panels window.
    [​IMG]
    EZ-enough to fix (a shorter bolt, which I don't have).
    One step forward..Two steps back.
    [​IMG]
    I also got some new Aqua-Computer gear I wanted to show you guys.
    [​IMG]
    It's the Compacttube 600. It was released about a year ago, but I have not seen any good pictures or heard much about it.
    [​IMG]
    It's a mini-aquatube/pump inlet for the Eheim compact 600 powerhead pump.
    [​IMG]
    It's a nice little unit, machined from a solid block of aluminum.
    [​IMG]
    That's it..Until next time.. :dremel:

Last edited: 30 Sep 2008
  16. thewhat

thewhat What's a Dremel?

I don't post much, but I've been following closely. Those spacers are the original HDD mounting screws you were going to use. (I'm about to order some). And the compact tube looks sweet. Keep it up!

17. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Did you have a chance to see how that thing bolts to the pump? I was looking at a Compactube a while back while I had an Eheim 600 pump in front of me and couldn't figure out how they were going to attach it.

18. Firehed

Looking very nice as always. That compact600 pump seems like a pretty good value and that res is also quite nice looking.

TN, it looks like it just kinda plugs on to the inlet somehow, but I'm really not sure.

19. modsquad

I have never seen a Eheim Compact 600 pump, but it looks like you remove the stock front section. After that, it clips on top and then two 2" screws secure the Compactube to Eheim pump. I need to pick up a Eheim C600..
    The unit will not end up in this project, but I could not pass-up the "fire-sale" price from SNT. I will find/make a home for it. :thumb: You know the # for the C600 are very good. 160GPH is better than a Eheim 1046 or Aqua-Computer AquaStream...I wonder....NO<<<NO more changes. :wallbash:

thewhat:
    They look close, but no. The HD mounts are threaded one end, tapped the other.
    [​IMG]
    I have a shoe-box full of bolts/nuts/washers/grommets/widgets. I have no idea of the origin of those spacers, but I am glad I had them..

Last edited: 30 Sep 2008
  20. modsquad

Did you notice the Compacttube has (2) inlets. Ideal for a parallel-pump set up. DRAW BACK, $$... The Eheim Compact 600 powerhead pumps are $22US each and Aqua-Computer want's $60US for the Compacttube...... :duh: but you do get a mini-aquatube with each one (more H20 in the loop is a GOOD thing)..
    This seems to be a "kick-ass" unit...Anyone have any experience with the Eheim Compact 600??? Good/Bad???
    MUST-RESIST...No more changes... :wallbash:

Last edited: 22 May 2005