1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Just chrome the mini-tube, change the front plexi to red... a few changes never hurt :)

2. -Enforcer-5716M4

-Enforcer-5716M4 What's a Dremel?

Did you know that it is more efficient to blow air through the radiator, than it is to pull it through? [​IMG]

I believe that you could drop the the temperature by a few degrees by mounting the fan before the rad.

3. Rufus-Seal

Rufus-Seal Guest

I wish i had a casemod like yours :p

4. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

It is a nice unit. Even w/o chrome and just a red acrylic res-cover it would fit right in....But no..I will stick with my FMJ'ed Eheim 1046.
    I have to pick up a Eheim Compact600. It's specs (160GPH flow and 4.3FT head) are close to than of the Eheim 1048, which makes the Compact600 a bargain for it's asking price..

5. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Modsquad, more lovely work as ever :clap:

You might be suprised just how low the 'low flow' 1046 is, at default frequency 47 Hz mine manages about 35 L/min, I'm experimenting with cranking up the frequency (it maxs at about 71). Slight problem is that the flowmeter is now on a different loop :wallbash: , still sounds like an excuse for a new loop = new mod = new project ==== :hip:

One thing that does worry me a bit is the temps you'll get with all those blocks on one 120 rad and a 1046. Have you fired her up yet? I'm really interested to hear how you get on.

Keep up the inspirational work :thumb:

6. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

How about cutting the bolt down.

Great mod btw.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I was thinking it would be easy to just cut down the bolt too.

8. kill_me_quick

You can never find a bolt exactly the right length either so i think that is the best option. Also means you dont have to go and and buy any :thumb:

9. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

where did you get the 8/10mm fittings, are they compresison ones not the plug and cool that aqua computer?

edit : nm just remembered you arent uk doh

Last edited: 23 May 2005
  10. modsquad

I hate cutting bolts with the Dremmel (especially small ones). The cutting wheel I would burn-up or break would cost more than a bolt of the correct lenght. I have been meaning to try one of those type 545 diamond cutting wheels, but the price has been holding me back..Have you tried them? :dremel:

Xarig:
    I had the machine running about a month ago. After six hours, the highest CPU temp the BIOS showed was 33C. So I should be OK. :thumb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Sep 2008
  11. Firehed

Wow, great temps. Of course, BIOS is hardly full load, and your flow rates are probably at least twice what mine are (seeing how restrictive the Cuplex Pro is, and that I have four blocks and two fairly restrictive rads). Then again, my CPU voltage is probably much higher than necessary too (although I recently backed it down a bit, so I'm at 36c idle right now just browsing and downloading, I'll max out around 44-45, but my "case" temps (around the mosfets or chipset, I think) will peak out over 50c sometimes! I'm sort of tempted to get a few more bulkheads and set up dual loops but sharing a common res (I have a couple cool things I could do with that...) Besides all that tangent-age, the Winchesters generally run a lot cooler than the Newcastles (incl fx55's, although new ones can be found in San Diego variety) so my temps seem a bit warm regardless, but if it's stable and quiet then I'm happy.

I'm quite tempted to try out one of those diamond wheels, but like you said, they're very expensive. I bet it would be great for window cuts and whatnot (aquatube mounting, res mounting, etc)

12. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

:idea:

Well...there has been some discussion of taking out the Zalman Reserator Compact 300 pump and replacing it with the Compact 600 pumps for some considerably better cooling by certain parties. Or possibly making an internal acrylic reservoir that has one of those pumps built into it. :D But no actual hard numbers yet on test results, but it appears to look promising.

13. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 24 May 2005
  14. kill_me_quick

You lazy person. Put two nuts on the bolt so that they go together. Place in a vice cut using a (jr) hacksaw then remove the nuts.

The nuts are used so that you don't damage the thread and so that you can grip it in the vice. It will also rethread the end when you remove the nut.

15. Grunnsetning

Grunnsetning What's a Dremel?

What he said, and VERY nice project man. Just recieved my LL pc-75b Yesterday =)

16. Sclodion

Sclodion What's a Dremel?

Its the same fittings used by Innovatek stuff, the threading is the same on both Aquacomputer and Innova blocks, so you can just get some compression fittings from your closest Innovatek dealer. I use http://www.pc-water-cooling.com/ they aint cheap, but they do sell @ my local computer fair, so its very convenient.

Last edited: 24 May 2005
  17. Firehed

I've seen people add external, more powerful pumps to the reserator, it did nothing for performance whatsoever.

18. modsquad

I wonder what the impact of your SLi setup has on these small bore H20 setups. GPU's put out a lot of heat (my aircooled FX5900 Ultra is @ 60C just typing this)..You are cooling "2" video cards, CPU and northbridge. When our AC gear was designed and tested, there was no such thing as SLi. You may very well be pushing the limits of a small bore-single loop setup. You (along with Franklin, XARIG and Sc4mpi) are "trail-blazing"...True bleeding-edge.. :thumb: That is what this forum is all about..

19. Firehed

Yeah, it's not something done too commonly. And I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the first ever to do SLI 6800GTs on Twinplex coolers rather than the full 6800 dealies. However my GPU temps are WAY down from the stock air (I don't think I've seen them hit 55c with the water, they'd go up to almost 80c on the air). I've considered on a couple of occasions trying to turn it into "1.5 loops" or so - different pumps and rads, but a shared res. Before I would try anything like that though, I'd probably use a third radiator externally top-mounted (or possibly side, but I doubt it as I'd be fairly likely to kick it and destroy it by accident).

I'm not sure if you've used the docking module MS, but I'm assuming it's made in a way to use two fans with a single Airplex? I'd consider topmounting an APE120 on top using one of those (the normal external housing wouldn't work due to the fan holes apparently, and it's quite a bit cheaper too). Unfortunately, Sharka doesn't seem to have them, SNT appears dead in the water, and I'm not ready to open up my own store yet (although the business application paperwork has been sent in).

I seem to remember hearing about an AC SLI block being in development although I think it would just be a tweaked version of the twinplex. Not sure really. I would like to be able to get somewhat better temps, but my GPUs are both overclocked to Ultra (from GT) and my CPU is up about 700MHz as well, and it's all running cooler and quieter than the stock air solutions.

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Isn't that what it's all about? Cooler and quieter. Beisdes, all of the limits can be addressed. Hot water? Add a rad after the GTs. Flow dying down? Throw a pump in there to help it along.