1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

The tubing is Tygon R-3400 and McMaster-Carr has it in stock in sizes from 1/8"OD to 3.5"OD.. :thumb:

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I agree, I wouldn't do a normal stealth mod (just sticking on a bezel) - I'd rather see it left how it is than just sticking red acrylic to a drive blank and taping it on the drive. I had meant somehow attaching red acrylic to the LL CD bezel (which would probably need to be recessed 1/8") using more socket-cap bolts or something like that.

Personally I'd figure that if you plan to leave it as it is, move the drive to the very top (as the bottom doesn't allow you to attach the bezel to the case, assuming the v1000's are the same that way as the v2000's), so the acrylic doesn't get broken up. I'm not sure what effect that would have on your wiring scheme but think the discontinuity the bare metal is giving right now is really hurting the front side of the case.

Also, you're planning to attach red acrylic to the other PCI plate covers right? We need a good pic of that area... it's only just barely visible in the last pic.

3. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I'm bummed :waah: I didn't even know they had one till I saw yours :sigh:

4. modsquad

Wes should be ashamed of himself...You should have a boat-load of them!

5. modsquad

Like I said I thought about doing just the door, even went as far as cutting the red acrylic (an old silver bezel served as the victim). I would tap&bolt the acrylic plates to the DVD drive door, or come-up with some sort of hinge (the way the stock bezel works)..Don't know..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BTW: can't relocate the DVD drive. Reservoir is in the way at the top and no mounting rail for the bezel in the bottom slot..Has to stay there..
    As for the PCI slot-covers ..not to worry..You know I LOVE taking pictures, I will post many/many more before this machine is finished.. :D

Last edited: 12 Mar 2009
  6. Firehed

Yeah that's what I was thinking for the acrylic. I'd only relocate the drive if you can't get the acrylic thing working somehow.

7. modsquad

I also thought about using a Aqua-Computer black AquaDrive screen with a red acrylic top plate..You know, one of these.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure..By the way, aren't you using the same Lian Li CD bezels on your project?

8. Firehed

Indeed I am. I think most people with LL cases are nowadays. After having used them, I really couldn't imagine going without them.

That aquadrive cover thing would be very cool. The only tricky parts would be making sure it lines up right and mounting it to the drive in an unobtrusive way.

I think if you remember how Orac3 did it - bolted the green plexi to the tray bezel piece... I think if you did something along those lines, but have that go to a piece of plexi (or something) behind it (think head-on view of an X-wing for the general shape perhaps), then have that mount through the screw-holes and the red acrylic on top, it would look quite nice. Just bolting straight-through and having bolts next to the AC name seems like a bit too much discontinutity for how the rest of the front is done.

The problem that exists with typical stealthing is that when you remove the front thing that has the little logos on the drive (usually, the part of the bezel that's on the tray, it almost always has to be removed for stealthing), it's recessed a bit, and without some tricky bending or mounting system the drive can't close right. I'm sure you can make it work though.

I'd actually kinda like to do something like that myself, but it wouldn't really fit in as well.

9. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Hmm, or if you're feeling dremel happy, stealth the drive with one of those plated, but cut out the aqua computer made in germany parts, and backlight with white LEDS. why white? So the red acrylic front projects that onto the opposing wall. Better yet, mount it so that the aqua computer is backwards, so it projects correctly. That way, if someone asks why it does that, just tell them to look on the wall behind them ;). Or best yet, wire that LED to the drive's activity LED, that way when the drive is active, it projects the text in flashes. That i would love to see.

10. -Enforcer-5716M4

-Enforcer-5716M4 What's a Dremel?

11. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Well now that I have thought about it for a while he did mention it to me a few months ago. I think I turned him down because it wasn't up to the quality I wanted on any of my Lian-Li cases. :p I suggested he have some made that was metallic and had a better logo. :hip: I'm still waiting for the version II :eyebrow:

BTW, where did you get those black AquaDrive plates from? The only ones I see on their site is Blue :grr:

Last edited: 12 Jun 2005
  12. modsquad

The body of the AquaDrive's are blue, but the front screen is stainless. The black front screen's are an option:
    "Frontblende fur aquadrive Aluminium schwarz".. Art.-Nr.93095
    What I would like to know is why the AC AquaDrive's are only available in blue. About 3-4 months ago they could be had in there "titan" color (I have a pair of them for another project):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now it seems you can have any color you like, as long as it is blue.. :hehe:
    This is there dual-model:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think AC should offer a color-option (blue/black/titan) on these units. They are "VeryCool"....The Shark should stock these units.... :thumb:

13. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

Sweet case. Sweet design. Keep up the "sweet" work.

14. modsquad

Red Acrylic Skirt

A small update with a few pictures..
    A RED acrylic skirt for the area under the divider plate of the LL v1000..
    [​IMG]
    With the compound-angle-cuts needed, I decided to start with a cardboard template::
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Next UP: transfer the template # to RED acrylic...SOON..

15. Dekode

Dekode What's a Dremel?

Nice, giving me some major ideas for my v1000 :D

16. modsquad

Good. That was my reason for this project,to share ideas. The red acrylic skirt should look good and help to hide some of the wiring in the bottom of this (small) case, so I am kind of "killing to birds with one stone"..
    I ran short of time (the reason for the small update). I will cut the RED acrylic for that area soon. I also need to trim-back the Martix Orbital VFD's mounting plate
    [​IMG]
    (removed from the case for the last set of pictures) as it interferes with the placement of the skirt..

17. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Give me some time to work Wes over to the Aquadrives :wallbash: He thinks they are a tad expensive, but as I keep pointing out anything from Germany is expensive so who cares. However, since the Euro seems to be falling like a rock to the dollar maybe the price thing will resolve itself soon. Thank those guys who didn't like an EC constitution as ever since they said no the Euro has been tumbling. :D

I was talking with Wes the other day about the "blue" thing and he says that Innovatek is also hung up about "blue" as well. We theorized that perhaps "blue" in Europe is the "right" color, but we also thought that perhaps one company is making them and selling them to rebranders. ;)

However, with the upsurgence in demand for A-C products here in the USA they may start thinking more about regional marketing and change to black and silver colors for the USA market. They seem more than willing IMHO to do anything so long as the numbers are there. For instance the Evo 240/360 grills that are made to fit the BI series radiators will be coming along within the next 90 days.

I am working on an idea for cleaning up that big power loom going into the V series cases. As soon as it comes and I get it wired in I will post a couple of pics. It would make your case a tad cleaner as well as mine.

18. Firehed

Yeah I don't like the blue of the aquadrive either, but then again it's quite hidden when installed anyways (except the back bit I suppose)

I like the idea with the acrylic "skirt" - I wanna see it all made up!

19. Franklin

Franklin What's a Dremel?

I'm one of those guys that voted against it Top Nurse :D You don't have to thank me for it. :hehe:

20. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, Interesting choice on where to mount the VFD. I think I like it though. Nice idea.