1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Without being rude, this project is dragging abit now isnt it? I mean its been going since 28-06-2004. Thats over a year!

Never known a project take so long!

Nice results but I thought you might wanna get it all done before it all becomes out of date!

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yikes, it would cost that much to have the Alphacool one shipped, in fact maybe even les (it was about 25E plus 20E shipping to the states). Although I do prefer these. Thanks for the links, anyways.

3. Noldor

Noldor What's a Dremel?

Project Metaversa by Nexxo has been going on for well over two years now I think. So Modsquad has been really fast IMO :rock:

Modding Isn't about getting the job done. It's about getting there. Whenever you have time, open up a cold one, or a few, sit down and do some modding. Slowly, and as much as you want, or simply as much as you've time to. This will take however long it takes and when it's done it's a work of love rather then just another computer you've gotten done.

Keep modding Modsquad! :thumb:

4. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

He is working on 2 projects aswell. I mean look at the paint job on solvent green. That kind of work takes weeks of solid work.

5. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Sometime back I proposed the idea of using an Aqua-Computer APE240 radiator grill as a cover for the side of the 5.25" bay area.
    [​IMG]
    I finally got around to cutting the red acrylic panel that will go under the AC radiator grill.
    [​IMG]
    I used a coping saw for the first time (I had been using a hacksaw) to cut the red acrylic. It works GREAT, much EZer to work with than the hacksaw (thanks Franklin)..
    [​IMG]
    From there, drill and tap the 12 holes for the grills mounting bolts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately for me, the only 4mm bolts I have on hand are about 5mm too long. I had to cut them down to size with the :dremel:
    [​IMG]
    Cutting 18-8 stainless bolts is a pain in the aspic, and 12 of them :duh:
    The good news is the Dremel diamond-wheel cutting disk held up very well. It has yet to lose any of it's original size..
    [​IMG]
    Well worth it's $12 asking price..Highly recommended..
    Finally (for today anyway) bolt the grill and the red acrylic together to check the alignment of the bolt holes.
    [​IMG]
    Looks good. This stock Aqua-Computer grill was only used as a template. The one for the project has a modification that will need to be replicated on the acrylic..
    [​IMG]
    until tomorrow
    [​IMG]

6. iwhy

iwhy What's a Dremel?

Wonderful! Great idea :thumb:

7. Firehed

Hmm.....
    it could get even more interesting!

I want to see that thing in place! It looks like it came out really well for you, and definately looks very nice. I'll have to keep that hacksaw idea in mind.

8. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

It's been said a thousand times, but I've got
    to repeat it: THIS MOD LOOKS BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock:

What does interrest me, is how much did it cost till now????????

9. modsquad

A few more pictures:
    [​IMG]
    When I assembled the grill & acrylic I did not remove the acrylic's protective paper from the back side of the panel..In fact all these pictures are with that paper in place.
    [​IMG]
    I am thinking about leaving it.
    [​IMG]
    The paper blocks your eye from seeing the bay-wall behind the acrylic, yet it still has a nice red color..
    [​IMG]
    Thats it for today..

10. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Wow, that acrylic was deffinitly a nice addition. Keep it up! :thumb:

11. modsquad

Mr. Nexxo's Metaversa was stated on 4/11/03 so, I am ahead of the curve... Noldor's statement is so-true..I started this project to "kill-time" and I have achieved that...This forum is about case-mods..period..Not hardware. If this project was based on a Pentium3 450, would that fact subtract from the look/feel of BN? I think not..
    Don't get me wrong..I want a quick computer, and I need to "press" this machine into service. The remaining work can be done "on-the-fly".. I have been downloading fresh drivers and backing-up needed files to achieve that goal..
    As anyone who has ever put together a custom computer can attest, it is never really/entirely finished....BUT this one is O-so-close..

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Exactly. Good modding takes time. It is not a race (at least, not last time I checked).

13. Firehed

Yep. Getting inspirations for new ideas along the way until you can make it, in your eyes, perfect, is what case modding is all about.

Looks great like that. I'm kinda wishing I just left the back paper in place for my wire-hiding smoked piece, as it seems to provide the effect I want a bit better!

14. Bum

Bum What's a Dremel?

Firehead, you could get some tack paper like the stuff used to line drawers to replace the protective film.

15. ShinySwede

ShinySwede What's a Dremel?

Dont you just love overkill =) Great job modsquad!!! =))

16. Big SturL

Big SturL What's a Dremel?

Hmm... Your casemod has truly inspired me to do something of the same fashion. Thus I ask this: what tools did you use when cutting, and drilling out the red acryl pictured below?
    [​IMG]

17. modsquad

Man, thats an old picture. That unit (Innovatek LCD) is going into my other project (with a green acrylic face in place of the red)..
    Nothing special Big SturL.. A hacksaw to cut the acrylic to size and a standard drill for the button&bolt holes. I do use "plexi-point" drill bits which help to avoid the acrylic from cracking..

18. Big SturL

Big SturL What's a Dremel?

Ok! Well thank's for replying so fast :) ! I've tried to drill plexi before, but it just cracked (and then it went in the bin...). I guess I didn't use the right drillbits.

You see, as I said, I am planing a casemod very similar to yours, that is, with the Lian Li V1000B and all. I tried to get in touch with the company that etched your window, asked them about prices and so on, but they haven't answered me yet. How much did you pay for your etch?
    I'm thinking about using black acryl from A.C. Ryan and then (MAYBE) making a Sin City theme (if the movie is any good that is). Wouldn't that be cool?

19. modsquad

You are talking about xport1
    They do great work, but I have also had problems contacting them. As for price, it's been a long time..I think the dEvil head etch was like $30..A very good price in my book.. Getting a-hold of them is another matter..
    He is a fellow member of bit-tech's forums send him a PM.. :thumb:

20. grumblemarc

grumblemarc What's a Dremel?

Question.

Does the bay cover interfere with the side panels closing in any way? I had to remove the front rails on my panels so that they would clear the hard drives I have temprarily mounted there. I was wondering if you've experienced the same thing.