1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Black Rain: RIP 2008

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 14 Sep 2006.

?

What to do...

Poll closed 30 Jun 2007.
  1. Finish the machine entirely:

87 vote(s)
    91.6%
  2. Finish the case mods only:

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Just go away:

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Philipp

Philipp New Member

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

thanks for that. I thought it had something to do with Germany and Austria.

**Sorry for the Thread crap modsquad.**

3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

xmas Update:

Got in about (6) hours of work in today. The results follow.
    This is the first stage of what will become the MB cover for the project, lets call it the wiring chase. The area passed the MB which measures about 95mm:
    [​IMG]
    mapped out to accept a Thunder Cycle coil cover:
    [​IMG]
    with the hole cut, we need to mod the coil cover itself:
    [​IMG]
    then turn the hole into a "U" cut:
    [​IMG]
    c-strip to finish it off..
    [​IMG]
    now it's a ATX cover-box:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    then on to the upper and lower wire-chase covers. A footnote: the MB tray will be painted black at a future date, also this area will receive a number of holes for wiring to pass-through..also at a later date..
    Lets move on, 30mm (long) standoffs:
    [​IMG]
    the design, very simple-spartan. Made from more of the ACRyan sheet Alu I have been using:
    [​IMG]
    round the corners, drill some holes and more c-strip:
    [​IMG]
    **you will notice in later pictures, I had to alter this cover. It was in the way of the AC aquatube reservoir's side compression fitting.
    bottom cover, more of the same:
    [​IMG]
    FIN:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    let's get the MB tray back in the box:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    that's it, just need to "tweek" the c-strip. It looks a-bit uneven in spots..
    [​IMG]
    I really like the thunder-logo: cross inside a coffin, perfect for me!!
    Lastly, remember I said I picked up some new stuff?
    For the MB itself, the covers will not be Alu. Instead I plan on using carbon fiber-sheet:
    [​IMG]
    It was tuff to geta good photograph, but it's 1/32" thick CF sheet..
    [​IMG]
    expensive stuff, this CF.. A 12"x24" was $65US..
    I also got a pair of AlphaCool quick-couplers:
    [​IMG]
    Instead of using a drain valve, these QC's will do the same job and take up less space..
    [​IMG]
    That-is-it..
    "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night"..
    MS

4. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

I'm guessing that's a TEST psu you are using and not the real thing? Simply due to the 20/24 pin connector..

The only Issue I see with it, is the actual location of the power connector. Some boards have it closer to the CPU, closer to the back plate, on the top edge... That, and the 4/8 pin P4 connector for the cpu could really use one of these.

Looking nice. Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.

5. ThomasM

ThomasM New Member

WOOW… genuinly cool work. Even my boss was enthusiastically, pass with he have seen it on my TFT.
    "ohh nice, what is it"
    and he is heavily to impress.

6. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Like nothing I have ever seen. Very original. :hip:

We want more! :worried:

7. PA!N

PA!N New Member

Thanks for the christmas present pix :D
    Merry Christmas to y'all !

8. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Very nice work with the atx box. The mobo covers look a lil plain IMHO. You should use silver/chrome stripes there. You know for the edges. Damn i dont know the word for it. But performancePCs got it. The stuff you use for Blowholes.

Merry Xmas to you too!!!

9. Snakez

Snakez New Member

WoW :rock:

This project is getting better and better.
    Real nice job :D

10. Evenge

Evenge Member

WOW that looks realy sweet! And CF! Cool... :cooldude:

Merry Christmas to you all!

11. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

OMG! I know that CF is really expensive, but I dont think SO expensive...
    You're doing a good work, and I follow every step of your work!
    Merry Xmas!

12. Mod_God

Mod_God New Member

damn that cf is looking sweet, love the details and quality of work here!

13. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior New Member

modsquad - make sure you wear a mask when sanding carbon - it's NASTY stuff. From experience, i'd also suggest wearing long sleeves or something to cover your arms and/or hands. the dust is VERY itchy and takes a while to wear out of the pores of your skin. not fun...

hope you had a happy christmas.

keep the good stuff coming :D

14. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Diggin the mobo ideas. It's all in the details.

Sounds like mcmaster's CF....Tap on that sheet with a hammer sometime, it sounds just like metal :D

15. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Thanks-Much, "always innovate, never imitate".. (Arlen Ness)..

@ ThomasM: thanks to U and your Boss-Man..

@BoD: yes, the pictured PSU-plug is from my test unit. U are 100%, the location of that ATX-plug may change on my real-MB. But with that said, as long as it is at the edge of the MB (I have not seen one that is not) my design will work.
    What I worked on was the unnecessary-area (for a standard ATX-board) of the LL-MB tray.. As I plan on H20-cooling "everything-possible" and showing waterblocks and tubing, I can go-no-further with the covers W/O the "real-MB" and blocks..BUT, it would make no-sense to purchase that gear now when I would not be able to use it for months-and-months.. So, the MB cover-work will cease..BUt the plan is in place, CF and ACRyan mesh to match the lower section of the case.. Not to-worry, I have lots more stuff to work on and show U.. :thumb:

@AntiHero: those little cover plates do look "plain", but I am not finished with them. Everything made from the ACRyan black-sheet Alu (which is almost everything inside the case) will get painted. Gloss-black with airbrushed-graphics, I am thinking about trying
    Mike Lavallee's TRUE FIRE technique with some skulls&bones added for good-measure.. It will not be plain when its done, that I promise U. We are only fabricating at this point, far from finished..

@tkWarrior: thanks for the CF-tips, I have (0) experience with the stuff (which makes it fun for me)..How about bending the stuff? Heat- like acrylic?

@m-tech:Yes, indeed your right on the $. McMaster -CF.. and yes the stuff has a "weird-feel". Tapping it, it sounds like thin-gauge steel. BUT it's weight (the 12"x24" sheet) is next-to nothing.. Very-Cool stuff. It also has reflective finish, depending on the angle at which U veiw it.. Looking forward to working with it, that is for-sure.. :thumb:
    Next-up: the 5.25" baybox for HD-cooler and DVD drive and the "cross-flow" radiator setup.. I have a nice-short work week, so more-soon (2007)...
    Until then
    MS

16. customh

customh conflagration.

absolutely awesome, love seeing the ideas flow from your head MS!!

17. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior New Member

i dont believe that you can bend 'set' sheets of cf, though all the normal rules of fibreglassing apply. if you do try and bend the sheet it will bend a little and then *snap*, unfortunately. the resin makes things a bit different to acrylic...

i'd advise checking with your local carbon supplier or shop as they will know what you can and cant do. ssR (aqualight) also knows a bit about carbon, you could pm him :)

18. Stwongbad

Stwongbad New Member

awesome. love your attention to detail and the amount of true /style/ you put into your mods.

19. Sphering

Sphering New Member

And that is exactly the essens of modding. Am I right, Huh?

20. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

tkdwarrior is in right... You can't bend CF, if you want to bend you have to create a carbon sheet in a form. You have to but the plain carbon tissue and the specific "glue" ( I don't know the right name in english,sorry) and prepare a form.The next step is to apply the carbon sheet to the form,add the "glue" and add more piece of carbon.Pay a lot of attenction to the direction of the fiber, the best way to prepare your piece is to place the tissue on a 45° regarding the other. The minimum number of layer is 2, but I suggest you to have al last 3 layer. Whan you've done this step,remembering to add the "glue" on each layer let it cure for about 2 days.Remeber that the glue is workable for about 1/2 hour and cure well at 50°C , you can help the curing time with a hair dryer... It's not easy... But if you want to have a strange effect try to do the piece in kevlar :-] If you're in need of more info, here I am!

Tags: