1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Black Rain: RIP 2008

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 14 Sep 2006.

?

What to do...

Poll closed 30 Jun 2007.
  1. Finish the machine entirely:

87 vote(s)
    91.6%
  2. Finish the case mods only:

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Just go away:

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Sweet work. I'm watching this project with interest. Think you could hook me up with some carbon? I only need enough to do 2 240mm radiator shrouds and I'll compensate you for the cost.

2. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

@ rigormortem - the word you're looking for is 'resin' mate :) it's two parts and drying time depends on the second part, the catalyst. Kevlar isn't necessary in the scope of case mods firstly as you rarely need a flexible sheet (and there are other more suitable materials given the application 90% of the time) though it does look pretty if you like yellow weave.

If laying pieces up, the best results that can be achieved, repeatably, will ALWAYS be done with pre-preg carbon weave and an autoclave. This is probably beyond the scope of the average modder though :sigh:

@modsquad - if your intended design involves bending (and you still wish to use the carbon) it would be easier to make brackets and use mechanical fasteners or glue to hold the pieces together. If you want to keep the carbon all the way through, you can rough up the areas to be joined with sandpaper and lay a small strip of carbon weave, applying the resin over that and finishing the piece after it has cured. All depends on how you want to do it mate :D

3. exo²

exo² What's a Dremel?

great work it looks verry nice
    keep goning
    it will be great

4. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Look around McMaster-Carr..
    They have a great selection of CF stuff..Sheet, tube, rod..ect.. What is nice is that they sell "small-sizes" you don't have to purchase a 12"x24" sheet like I did.

Also: thanks guys, for the "working with CF" information..Shame it can't be bent like acrylic..but I guess that is to be expected..

Last edited: 29 Dec 2006
  5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow very nice the motherboard tray light out is nice and clean and the details are great.

6. modsquad

Taking this weekend-off.. :p___________________
    But, (14) days of 2007 vacation spell:-- modification & alteration:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Stay--Tuned More to come..
    MS

Last edited: 8 Jan 2007
  7. hellas91

hellas91 What's a Dremel?

Nice :p

Tuned :naughty:

Last edited: 6 Jan 2007
  8. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

I'm tuned every day, MS!
    LOL, even Hellas91 here!!! It's really strange!

9. modsquad

Thanks RiG.
    Hellas91's STuFF looks to be very-good...
    So, I am glad to see him around and about the bit-tech forums.. Thanks for posting H91..!!
    Over the next two-weeks I hope to get a good-amount of work done. First on my list, the 5.25" bay gear and there custom-mount:

10. modsquad

Drive Box:

Managed about (8) hours of work today. The "drive box", which is from a old Lian Li PC 75:
    [​IMG]
    cut to size (it will only house two units):
    [​IMG]
    Add the components and take a look-see:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As with the majority of the interior case-parts, we will paint the drive box at a later date.
    We will use the four-existing holes to bolt the box to the case, by the way this is also up-side-down from it's stock LL-location.
    I said on page one of this project, that I did not want to mess-up the clean lines of the v2100. IMO, having bolt-heads sticking up would do just that. So, my answer is to use M4 bolts with a flathead cap screw (countersunk):
    [​IMG]
    Map out the area:
    [​IMG]
    Then drill and countersink the four holes. I have a nice-set of countersinks:
    [​IMG]
    If you don't, an over-sized drillbit will do the job.. :thumb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then a bit of flat-black paint in each hole to avoid seeing the bare_Alu edge the countersink made:
    [​IMG]
    Then, finally bolt the box in:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    IMO, the countersunk bolts work well in this application. They don't draw attention to themselves, the way a normal socket-head bolt would.
    [​IMG]
    the clean-lines of the v2100 win-out:
    [​IMG]

Only day (2) of my vacation, so lots more to-come.
    Not sure if I will work on the radiator-mount (that goes under the drivebox) or the front-panel tomorrow. We, will see. I tend to "jump around" and work on what grabs-me.. I also just got in a new bit of biker-chrome:
    [​IMG]
    trans inspection cover. Any ideas as to where it will go?
    Also two very important new tools:
    [​IMG]
    I am a big-fan of these drillbits. One bit that can drill holes from 5 to 35mm very-cool..
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps, the most important tool in my collection: :naughty:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That does-it for today..
    MS

11. HourBeforeDawn

oh man Billy Lane another fine builder I love his hubless bikes those are awesome but then again there is that christan bike builder (his name escapes me but they had a biker buildoff with each other) that claims to have done that first but it looks no where as clean, pretty, awesome as Billy Lanes, anyhow

Now that would be cool to turn into a res. ^_^
    oh and if that wasnt your plan, then could I do that :D

12. modsquad

There is a great-debate as to who designed the first hubless rearwheel, I can't recall the guy's name either. BUt it's Amen Cycles
    Already having (4) reservoirs in the case, the Choppers Inc. flask is only for my lemonade...
    With that said, you have a Wonderful idea, HBD. And it would not be hard to-do. You have the fill-port on top, just drill and tap a pair of G1/4" holes high and low and design a mount.. That would be a kick-ass reservoir, if ever I saw one !!!!

13. HourBeforeDawn

cool I think I will do that for my next build as I want to build a SFF case next so I think I will do a similar theme as in a bike one but go more renegade hells angels so to speak but ya I think I will do just that next once Im done with my current project

14. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

the mount would be easy, wrap a leather belt with a badass buckle around the case and put the flask in a leather holder attached to the belt.
    slightly off topoc, but on the same topic as bikes and alchohol, i saw a bike at the local walmart (there was a rally in town and there was a display in front of the store) whose tins were made from copper and distressed to look like an old still. it had 2 fuel tanks and either it could run on either gasoline or alchohol, or it had alchohol injection. the alchohol tank was a portioned off section of the main tank and had a small spigot so that you could get some "fuel" out of it whenever you wanted. the name of the bike was "the bootlegger." it was the most original bike i have ever seen in person!

edit: it was made by thompson choppers, here is the link, and it runs on 200 proof corn whiskey! i just found them via google and found out they are located less than 20 miles from where i live (near springfield missouri)!

second edit: link fixed

Last edited: 10 Jan 2007
  15. modsquad

Sounds-good. The "reservoir" was only $20US and made of stainless steel, which is perfect. The tap will cost U more than the flask.. I have a G1/4" tap, send me the res and I will drill&tap it for you.. :thumb:
    I love Billy Lane's stuff. IMHO, it's the perfect mix of old and new school.. That goes for his logo as well, 1940's pin-up girl:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    a "true" blast from the past.. (60) years-ago !!.. That's older than the average (3) bit-tech-spectators--combined...and THUS, "ultra"-old school.. Rock-on BL........ :p

@IJAC: the bike sounds cool, but the link is bad. http-issues:

Last edited: 10 Jan 2007
  16. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

i fixed the link, and heres a pic
    [​IMG]
    sorry if i am slightly threadjacking, i just thought id bring it up.

17. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

George Petty's work is okay.
    I'm partial to the work of Gil Elvgren, whose work is both technilcally and stylistically impressive.

18. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

As usual, you shocked me!Really a good tools to have these driilbits, I'll buy one as soon as my boss pay me :-] The bad thing is the big cost, here in italy they cost like 60 euros... Butm dear MS, go on, and like Ac/Dc say , shook me all night long (with your mod...)

19. modsquad

Thanks RIG-
    the stepbits (aka uni-bits) are no-less expensive in the States. BUT..IMO, worth the cost. One drillbit = (14)..
    Vacation (-4days).. Lots more in the pipe-line.
    MS

Last edited: 11 Jan 2007
  20. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Nice monitor u got there! :baby: It wasn't so big surprise to see YOU got one of those Eizo's ;)

Also, nice work with the Drive Box! :thumb:

Tags: