1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Black Rain: RIP 2008

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 14 Sep 2006.

?

What to do...

Poll closed 30 Jun 2007.
  1. Finish the machine entirely:

87 vote(s)
    91.6%
  2. Finish the case mods only:

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Just go away:

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I am not sure how Innovatek wants you to attach the memory to there cooler once using more than (2) h20-blocks either. The Manual is not much help. I have plenty of there RAM-clips, but I don't see how they can help. Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated (one and all). At this point in time, my thought is Arctic Silver's thermal adhesive..

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

If I got it right your problem is to attach the cooling plates on the RAM, right?
    Would that work? Might look kinda ugly though...

Or do you ask on how to install the cooling module on the cooling plates? Screws? :worried: :D

3. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

That is a really odd problem. I'd hesitate on the Arctic Silver adhesive, just because once it's on there, it ain't coming off. :eeek:

4. Fahrenheit 541

Fahrenheit 541 What's a Dremel?

ram cooler

Man, thats what it's all about, I agree , chrome the plates, it would go along with the rest of that piece of Metal- Man!!! :rock:

5. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

The manual does suck, it tells you to use those clips but doesn't show how:S

Anyway great project you've got going there loved your BN en SG.

Keep on the good work:D

6. Bas van der Werff

7. modsquad

Thanks Bas, that picture illustrates the problem very well.
    The clips work great with (1) h20 block, but once you add the second and third there is no-longer enough room.
    @ Aon: I think a MB's plastic Ram-retention mechanism (latch) would interfere with those clips mounted on the rams sides. The above picture, again illustrates the (side mount clip) problem.
    @mj: While Arctic Silver calls there Alumina thermal adhesive permanent, (from what I have read anyway) above 10lbs of force it will "give it up". More than enough for it's intended app, but not truly-permanent. Innovatek seems to have "dropped the ball" with there design and the thermal adhesive may be my only option. BUT, please one and all keep the ideas comming.
    @ F541: Chrome plate no. It would be hard to chrome such small aluminum parts. My chrome guy would be pissed! BUT, as it is Alu I can polish them and get a nice chrome-like finish. All that is required is time.
    Speaking of time. Will not have any this weekend (real world job).
    Performance PC has there first shipment of EkWaterBlocks
    a few are on there way to me. Looking forward to that packages arrival (big-time)! I just love "fast eddies" blocks.. But work on the project will have to wait until mid (next) week, best I can do.. :waah:
    Stay Tuned:

Last edited: 2 Mar 2007
  8. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Don't worry, take your time. We will wait...

9. mrgoins

mrgoins What's a Dremel?

Can you cut down the clips so they will fit between the water blocks? You could potentially cut them in half and have 1 clip in between each of the water blocks and one on each end for a total of 4 clips on each stick of ram. Would look pretty nice if the clips were black and you polished the cooling plates.

10. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel What's a Dremel?

With three blocks, the only option I see besides clipping on the end of the RAM sticks (I believe the instructions referred to this as clipping from the sides), is to alter the heat sinks themselves. Could you notch the heat sinks by the width of each clip so that their height does not interfere with the water blocks.

11. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Thermal Tape ?

12. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Or long thin strips of alu, 2 around each RAM stick and then screwed together at the ends. The problem would be that the strips start to bend in the middle of each stick when tightened, but you could use thicker sheet if it fits.

13. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Maybe you can try to make your own clip or to cut in half the original clip to fit between the wb... It's hard for me to explain, my english is really poor :-[

14. Bas van der Werff

Isn't it possible to take the orignal clips and cut the little lip that sticks out? so you get more of a U shape, hard to describe what i meen.
    BTW could you tell me the exact dimensions of the Aquatube mounting plate?

Last edited: 4 Mar 2007
  15. modsquad

Ek Diversion:

The AC AquaTube mounting plate measures 100mm x 100mm Bas.
    first day off work in a while. Only beer tonight. Work should commence Thursday, with an update to follow. I did receive a box-of EkWaterBlocks from the good-folks at Performance PC's. Lets take a look-see:
    [​IMG]
    eddie is becoming "main stream" by last order was shipped in tape and bubble-rap..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    13mm Lexan tops: :thumb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bottom:
    [​IMG]
    that is just, well perfect...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bottom:
    [​IMG]
    OK-- flat, but...
    [​IMG]

I hope you enjoyed the pictures. AN-Acetal-LGA775 top should "show up" today, I will post an "edit" and illustrate that option as well..
    Thanks again to Performance PC's and back to work ASAP..
    MS

Last edited: 6 Mar 2007
  16. Bas van der Werff

Might switch blocks for my project after seeing these sexy blocks, thanks for the info on the mounting plate :thumb:

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya EK has great or I should say KICKASS full coverage blocks.

18. Temo Vryce

Temo Vryce What's a Dremel?

Chrome really it's my thing but I have to admit that this build is looking very sharp. I would suggest send final pic's to the Chopper King and see if they can show your work on the show. It's got enough enough parts from all the greats to make it atleast part chopper.

19. Denki

Denki What's a Dremel?

have to say this is a gorgeous mod that has inspired me to take my next case and do more than I originally planned with it. The blocks are kind of a give away to your future hardware parts :D

20. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

Tags: