1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Project: Black Swan

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Synay, 1 Mar 2010.

1. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Please stay with me as this is my first case plan as well my first render.

The project was long forming in my head and that is what it will roughly look like:

Side is transparent perspex with name of the project and at the back and abothe the name there will be a logo. Front consists of 5 5.25" bays and will have 3x 120mm intake fans.

[​IMG]

Triangular entity is in fact a perspex HDD cage as my idea is to expose them. There will be another perspex on the side and on the top as well as 4x 120mm intake fans at the bottom side and 4x 120mm fans at the top to push the air out.

[​IMG]

And the back of the case. Motherboard will be laying on the base of the case and facing upwards. It will be slighly elevated of the bottom. PSU will be located above the expansion slots, fan facing top exaust fans.

[​IMG]

I understand that this case idea has flaws, but would be gratefull if you could point some out so I could take them into the consideration and modify my project accordingly.

2. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

I'm going to assume the scale is a bit off as far as the mobo area at the rear of the case, but this looks pretty cool to me. I like the idea of the clear plexi (perspex) showing off the hdd's. Would be a great place to put a window-modded hdd there methinks...

It could also be very cool as a water cooling reservoir (I think that's mainly me coming up with ideas in my own head though)
    I also really like the open feel of the design. Though I'm not too sure if there would be enough venting to the rear of the case for airflow. I do see the venting at the top of the case, but, idk. maybe I'm just over thinking things on that as well.

About the only thing i see wrong with this design is how to hide all the wiring. Yeah, have fun with that in such an open case. Lol.

3. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Thanks jodah175.
    Yes, scale is a bit off, but I will work on that soon. Cool ideas about the HDDs, I'll think about it.

All cables will be hidden beneath doble bottom and double back, so it will look like that:

[​IMG]

4. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

Ahhhhh, excellent idea. it makes it very easy to hide wiring, as you only have to cut small-ish holes to let the wiring come up through the panels to their appropriate places.

Now, here is a question to ponder. The mobo back panel, will that be placed up against the false rear panel, or tucked into it? The only issue i see with tucking it into the false panel is how to secure the cards at the back.

5. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Hmm, some hours thinking and that is a good question, but it is possible to cut out an extention of the mounting bracket and weld it together. And by welding I mean some chemical reaction, or glue that holds metal together more than proper welding. Bad looking part will stay inside of the back panel then. the only holes I will cut out at the back are for monitor cable and to secure the GPU.

How is that for an idea?

6. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

sounds primo man. looking forward to seeing this thing come to life.

7. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

I'm working on the details of the case and rendering separate parts with appropriate sizes now, probably will take me couple of weeks as I have to work :(, but will update this thread frequently.

8. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

no, that is totally unacceptable, you need to have a full 3'd photo realistic render in under one weeks time. :D

but yeah, any other ideas, be sure to post them up and ask plenty of questions. also, check out the sketchups component list thread. lotsa shite in there to use.:rock:

9. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate. It's so much easier with those samples :D

And now, this is how the basic layout will look like:

[​IMG]

And this is how the back will be sorted:

[​IMG]

Any comments or ideas so far?

Last edited: 5 Mar 2010
  10. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

looks good so far. i'd suggest (and again, im only assuming you're doing very rough drawings atm) tightening up the openings around the psu and vid cards. and changing to round holes for the fans.

heres the other thing i was thinking. if you were somehow able to turn the psu around (vertical maybe?) you can make life easier as far as wire management goes.

ooh! brainstorm! make a cover for said psu wiring that also covers the top half of the vid cards? (epic mspaint about to commence)