1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Blackwing Crypt 4/07/10 - New update and glowing pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by skunkmunkey, 10 Feb 2009.

?

Which stone should I use

Poll closed 1 Mar 2009.
  1. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. C

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. D

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

All of this looks great, and this is from someone who can't stand case modding ;)

BreadBin link appears to be down in your sig

2. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Thanks really nice comment :) Sig fixed too ;)

3. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

So as promised another update. This would have been alot bigger but I seriously underestimated how difficult it would be to use and stained glass window kit. Funny how it seemed much easier as a kid.....

[​IMG]

This is the silver cerne relief which simulates the lead, it was a right pain in the backside to apply as it kept clumping together. More updates when Ive finished painting the window.

4. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Apologies for the lack of updates, I'm currently trying to get over a nasty cold and can't seem to stay awake after work.... Will have a sizable update done by weekend tho

5. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

After a hectic week I finally managed to get a few bits ready to show. None of them are finished yet and thus look a little rough round the edges but I doubt im gonna have any time to post updates in the next week as I only get 1 day off for christmas :(

First order of the day was to get the lighting sorted for the top window:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the window will be lit up using leds. Now I made a big mistake getting red leds as they just wont light up the smoked plexi. Im waiting on some ultra bright white ones which I hope will do the trick.

Next on the menu is a spot of painting. Ive made around 30 skulls so far, 170 ish to go.... Ive also most of the detail work on them as you can see. What you cant see at the moment is the clear UV blue paint in the eye sockets!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally I managed to get the stained glass window.. um.. stained as it were. Now being a novice at this I didnt realise just how difficult it is to stain large areas and with hindsight I may have done things differently. The blue is quite uneven and further coats didnt help matters. It doesnt really matter as this window will only be seen from inside the case and should still give the desired effect. Just need to go over the silver relief to tidy it up a little and all should be good.

[​IMG]

This will be lit up using some ultra bright superflux LEDs. Now ive had some really poor UV leds but these things kick out plenty of UV goodness and I recomend them to anyone wanting to use UV leds.

You can also see a little thank you for my kind sponsors over at ASUS and Crucial.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hovisloaf likes this.
  6. Hovisloaf

Hovisloaf What's a Dremel?

sick work man +1

7. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I second Hovisloaf's opinnion! This :rock: !
    And I don't even like WOW... :lol:

Kudos on the time you put into this, personally I'd jump in front of a train just thinking of doing those sides on the case! :jawdrop:

Ohh, BTW congrats on the sponsors! :thumb:

Keep it up man, I'm looking forward to see where this is going!

Edit: Forgot; LOL @ "Graveyard Earth"

8. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Hehe thanks for amazing comments. I found a trick for doing the time consuming stuff. Watch movies on my Ipod and drink beer... thing is, the inside of the case will be done in the same way.

9. modscases.com

modscases.com What's a Dremel?

wow so far so good i like the idea very cool

10. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Thanks, I decided that The skulls were not good enough and have spent alot more time on them now, each one is finished by hand and has 3 layers of paint. below you can see the work needed to complete each skull:

[​IMG]

So from left to right, first the skull is taken out of the mould, then its trimmed followed by a first coat of bone colour acrylic paint. Once this is dry I then paint each one in the graveyard earth colour, I allow this to rest for 30 secs then gently wipe off the paint with some kitchen roll. This leaves a small amount of paint in the detail. Finally I give a it a coat in satin varnish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From casting to finshed object these took me around 8 hours of work, only 3 times that amount to go and will probably end up being more.

Im Also pleased to anounce another sponsor, Eddy from EK has generously given me 50% off my order which consists of:

[​IMG]

EK-Multioption reservoir 400 x 2

[​IMG]

EK-DCP 4.0 (12V DC Pump) x 2

[​IMG]

EK-CoolStream RAD XT (360) x 2

[​IMG]

Yate Loon D12SL (1350rpm) 120mm x 6

Once this stuff gets here I can really get stuck into the inside of the case, which will probably be more detailed than the outside. In case you cant tell, attention to detail is key to this mod. According to the tracking on my delivery its somewhere in germany, so hopefully not to long now :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jan 2010
  11. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

yay, got a nice package in the post today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost thought this was a box of aftershave when I saw it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now I can start work on the inside of the case, thats if I can find enough clothes to wear... Its freezing in my shed.

12. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Nice work buddy and congrats on the sponsors!! I am qurious to see what Asus and Crusial gave to you ;P Mod on bro! :)

13. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

14. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thats some really nice hardware man and thanks for your nice words! You deserve them you are doing a lot of hard work there and I am also curious to see the final pictures!! Mod on my friend! :)

15. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Thanks AnG3l. Had another delivery today, thanks to Andrew8200m who spotted these on offer at £52 each :) got 2 of them ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something else that I thought you guys would like to see, My wife makes "cake mods" as I like to call them and this is one she made yesterday:

[​IMG]

Large update to come shortly, stuff is taking a little long to dry :(

16. Matticus

Matticus ...

You shouldn't have posted that cake, it now makes your whole project look rubbish in comparison. :D

Congrats on the sponsors, I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

17. n0va

n0va Burnin'!

Kill eet with fire!

18. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

hehe, not a windows fan then? Thanks matticus, just noticed you live about 40 miles from me lol..

19. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

The cake is a LIE! :D

20. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

You must take some more shots before I'm willing to believe it's edible :I

Oh and ofcourse good luck with the project as well. Congrats on the sponsors as well, although AMD Dragon might have been more suitable platform to go with the theme ;)