1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Blue-Hellfire Feb 2 Stick a fork in it...its done!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CobraMods, 5 May 2008.

1. Realiks

Realiks New Member

i'm making the same turbine fan :D I saw it on a you tube movie from mnpctech. :thumb: Nice work

2. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

my inspiration comes from a ton of different sources, including various you tube tutorials, books, magazines and mainly the browsing of forums like this one. all give ideas i like. its just a matter of taking the bits i like (and that are within my experience level) and make a pc i want =o)

3. Farmboy UK

Farmboy UK Hungry for knowledge

Thanks for the advice, I've always wanted to try a turbine fan mod myself

4. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Wow, this is coming along very nicely! Your dremel work is top-notch. :dremel::thumb:

5. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Lookin great man, and thanks for the tip on the mesh! I just changed the air filters in 3 vehicles just a couple weeks ago and every one of them I threw away :wallbash::duh:

6. CobraMods

just a small update today.
    kinda screwed up my lower back over the weekend so its makin it a bit hard to get any modding done at the min.
    but this is where things are sitting so far.
    start with a pic of how the nose cone will look when its in the turbine opening
    [​IMG]
    i think it looks pretty good for what it is =o)
    next lil thing i got around to was Blow hole cover V2.0
    i wasn't totally happy with the first one i did as i felt i could do better.
    so once again i grabbed my dremel, this time the canvas was a perspex clip board from staples.
    its a bit thicker than the material i used to make my first fan grill so i already thought it was an improvement.
    first thing i did was cut a hole in the clipboard the size of the opening i wanted.
    [​IMG]
    this is the point where i am gonna get bashed,kicked, clubbed and beaten.............
    i started with an idea in which i wasn't sure if it would work out or not so i just dug into it.
    i didn't take pics of the actual process because you all know how to do the simple stuff like drilling and shaping things with the dremel and assorted bits.
    all i can say is that i started with this basic shape
    [​IMG]
    then i fashioned a lower jaw bone as well and cut both pieces out of the same clip board,
    once i had the rough pieces cut out i drilled and ground out the eye and nose sockets so it was similar to my other blow hole cover.
    heres where i did something a bit different.
    1st my wife let me borrow one of the steel muffin tins from the kitchen.
    2nd i grabbed my small propane torch.
    mixed the 2 together with a bit of imagination and a touch of clear 5 minute epoxy to join things together afterwards and i ended up with this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i now have a 3D version of my skull for my blow hole cover. i used the torch to heat and melt the rounded edges of the skull around the shape of the muffin tin to give it a bit of depth.
    next i hit it with a coat of primer as i will plain this unit with high gloss black shortly.
    [​IMG]
    once i have it painted i have an idea of something i want to try out which i think will work good on that part in particular.
    more on that once i figure out exactly how i wanna do it.
    one nice thing this week tho is my opticals came in
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so of course i had to start dismantling them hehe
    [​IMG]
    who knew there were so many parts in these damn things? lol
    eh they will more than likely end up getting a paint makeover and a full stealth before they go in the case
    and just so badders dont feel like i am slipping or anything i have to throw in one shot with my foot in it for good measure =o)
    [​IMG]

cya in a few days

7. Farmboy UK

Real nice work on the blowhole cover. Love the 3D effect!

8. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

that sooo good, I just love your work foot!

That grill is really nice looking! Very intuitive!

9. CobraMods

ty, i am still not 100% happy with the blowhole cover.
    i think there will be a version 3 in the works this weekend
    just one of my small problems with wanting things "just so" i cant seem to leave well enough alone hehe

10. CobraMods

sorry for the lack of an update this week guys,
    lower back is really giving me a problem atm. doc's given me some decent drugs so once they kick in i hope to be able to sit upright and actually do a bit of modding soon.
    cya as soon as i can =o)

11. CobraMods

yay:clap::clap: i can move again!!!
    well at least somewhat, enough to get a bit of modding done.
    in the end i decided to stay with that version of the blow hole cover. i am going to try some different things with it to see the effects i end up with and hopefully come up with something i am happy with.
    this past week was a slow one for modding my machine as wifey wanted to see some progress with her own so she didnt feel left out.
    so this is what i been doing this past week.
    remember me and wifey have the same case we started with
    hers we did basic mods to, store bought side window for the sharkoon rebel 9 ran us a whole £10 and i deem that cheap enough to justify not cutting the whole myself lol.
    [​IMG]
    stock pic courtesy of the sharkoon website.
    we didn't like the stock plexi that came with it cause it came with mounts for 2 120 mm fans built into it.
    pulled that out of the frame, filled the holes with some bondo and smoothed things out.
    primed it all up and went to halfords for her to pick out some colors.
    she wanted a dolphin/water theme so various blues came home with us.
    she went to work on her new side panel piece of plexi
    she is engraving for her first time so i will ler her do her thing while i do the paint thing.
    popped off the front covers fron the dvd drives and also the front faceplate from her fan controller ( they do have to match or i get my but kicked)
    i wish i had some pics of the process up to now but to be honest my back still wasn't up to par and she left the new cam up in the bedroom most of the week and i just wasnt up to hitting those stairs back and forth for the cam so i just got on with it.
    did a basic fade for the undercoat of the case including the drive covers and fan controller cover.
    then grabbed the squirt bottle.
    filled er up with some water and set the case one its side.
    spritzed the side of the case till i thought the water drops were big enough for the effect she wanted.
    [​IMG]
    then grabbed an aerosol can of gloss black and lightly misted the entire panel.
    note to self....when watching commandos vids on painting make sure to have the sound on and also watch them to the end.
    see part of my prob is i am a MAN
    i see an example of how to do something and figure,,,eh i got this.
    since i am said MAN i cant be like a normal person and actually get the information i need first time through and then go try on my own.
    i say that for one reason
    i almost had to strip the whole damn case down and respray it like a moron.
    i misted the panel and left it sit on its side for about 35 mins.
    all the while it was sitting there i am thinking hmmmmm.. that don't look quite right.
    so figuring i was screwed anyhow i went into the house and came out with some paper towels.
    started dabbing off some of the excess water that was left on the panel.
    ugh this looked like crap, so wifey came over and grabbed the paper towels and decided since the paint was screwed anyhow she would scrub it a bit and see what happened.
    tis there where the bit of luck came in.
    when she rubbed it wasn't perfect but it did pull up a good bit of the paint that was inside the bubbles themselves and that made it look the way she wanted it to in the beginning.
    little more rubbing with the paper towel and first side was deemed done.
    [​IMG]
    i continued this on the rest of the faces of the PC
    top first
    [​IMG]
    then other side panel
    [​IMG]
    one at a time, the only difference being, after misting i only had to wait about 10 mins for the gloss black to flash dry before i grabbed a paper towel and dabbed off the excess.
    all in all it turned out pretty good looking.
    i also did the face plates for the drives n fan controller

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    once everything was "bubbled" i pulled out the clear coat and layed out 5 decent coats of it.
    now the pc is mock up assembled and waiting for the clear to cure enough for the color sanding and polishing.
    which leaves us here..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thats it for this week guys.. i have done some small bits on my own rig but i felt it more important to keep being able to sleep in the bed as opposed to the shed by putting her PC up here =o)
    cya soon

12. perkins teh modder

perkins teh modder New Member

i seen that "water drop method thingy" on a show that told how they made hockey masks and ive always wanted to try it

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Awesome paint job.

14. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

ya that paint job looks amazing!! i might have to try that on something like an external hdd!! keep it up!!:thumb:

15. Farmboy UK

Thats a really cool painting technique, i need to find a use for it!

16. CobraMods

thanks guys
    the paint turned out as she wanted it.
    good news is her etch turned out good as well so once i grab some blue cold cathodes and rig up a temp PSU i will take some pics again with some back lighting and throw them up here.

17. CobraMods

eh did a bit o playin around with some of the smaller stuff in the past few days.
    remember these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    well.. i did a bit of filing, grinding and sanding to them just to clean em up a bit.
    [​IMG]
    they did look like this after a few coats of primer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but now they look like this
    [​IMG]
    all nice and purty and gloss black
    while i was at it i hit the rest of the chassis bits with some primer(yes i did sand everything down previously with 600 grit paper to the primer had something to "etch" onto)
    [​IMG]
    also remember these things?
    [​IMG]
    it was time to give them a bit of a makeover as well.
    since they are going to be full stealth i removed the front bezel totally
    i peeled off the stickers on the drives ( whats a warranty worth now a days anyhow to a modder? lol)
    the rear of the drive (the header panel SATA connection) for some reason they cast in tan plastic..thats horrible in my opinion but thats why paint was created.so i taped off all the electronics inside of it and sprayed the back panels black and also the exterior casings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    since the front bezel isnt going to go back on these drives i need to add some auxiliary wiring to them so i can relocate the open/close buttons.
    broke out the soldering iron
    [​IMG]
    and some spare wire from my lil extinct PC spare parts bin.
    then i soldered the 2 bits of wire to the front 2 points for the micro switch on the pcb board
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and one with the outer casing back on.
    [​IMG]
    ok thats where i have to leave off for today. more to do this weekend
    cya soon

18. Farmboy UK

Nice work on the painting, can't wait to see them stealth in the case

19. CobraMods

thanx farmboy, i am looking for the end result to be as clean as possible , it will give me more finishing options later down the line and also look pretty cool when both are installed with flat stealth panels

20. CobraMods

sorry for the lack of updates guys n gals but i got stuck on a side project last week ( building a new cage for our degus)
    [​IMG]
    we have 3 of the lil critters and they needed a new place to run around.
    so i built this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    6-7 hours of bending wires and cutting wood should have provided them with enough room now to chill and enjoy thier toys for a while =o)
    pc build update should be here this weekend hopefully.
    cya then

Tags: