1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: BreadBox Mini

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by W-fault, 6 Sep 2008.

1. W-fault

W-fault Otherwise known as widefault

Project: BreadBox Mini

We join this mod already in progress....

Some background first. I've built a couple of systems using curved aluminum that came from "vintage" aluminum Breadboxes. I really like the shape, something about the curves inspires me. Anyway, pics below of the two other systems, click them for more pics and info.

Merom Mini Cube
    [​IMG]

Windows Home Server Cube
    [​IMG]

A while back I had started building a companion external SATA drive case for the server cube, but I screwed up when bending the base tray, got frustrated and set it aside. Since that time I've moved and haven't had much time OR a good space to work on projects.

Last week I finally got motivated and decided to ditch the eSATA case and use my last sliver of breadbox to build myself another full PC. I also had a nice mini-ITX i965 mobile board, a X7800 EXTREME!!!!! edtion CPU, 2GB of DDR2-800, PicoPSU 120, and other miscellaneous parts.

So far I've salvaged the original base, added some aluminum angle for mounting the Breadbox skin, and have the board mounted. In the process I also screwed up my cut for the I/O shield and ended up 1/2" too wide. Lesson learned, measure about four times before you cut. I've got an idea of how to fix it, and it's on the back of the case, so it's not too big of an oops yet. If anything it'll be a good spot for an exhaust vent.

Hopefully I won't get too sidetracked, I have a few other ITX projects planned that I'd like to build before the hardware is too outdated.

And now, pics.

Side view, board in for a test fit, figuring out where the DVD will be mounted, and a view of the angle. I ended up using much larger angle than I wanted because I'll be reusing holes on the Breadbox skin for mounting.
    [​IMG]

Rear showing the screwed up i/o shield opening. I'm probably going to throw in a TV tuner, so I can always use the mesh to make a mounting bracket for that and cover the screw up at the same time. The angle on the top fixes the bad bend I had when I was building a drive case.
    [​IMG]

Front of the base tray, approximate location of the DVD. That will be hooked up using an ATAPI-SATA adapter to get rid of the bulky IDE cable.
    [​IMG]

With the luncbox skin loosely in place. I need to trim the corners of the base, the skin will overhang the base by about 1/4". There'll be feet installed on the bottom, possibly some lighting.
    [​IMG]

From the rear, the overall case will be about 4" tall, 8.75" wide and 8.75" deep.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I need to do a lot of work on the skin, lots of metalwork and sanding in the days ahead. I'm not going for a high polish, but I also don't want a bunch of visible scratches and scuffs.

Hard drive will be mounted to the top plate as well as cooling fan/venting. If I use a 120mm fan, I'll be forced to use a laptop drive because it'll be too tight to fit a 3.5" drive next to a 120mm fan AND have a secure method of mounting the top plate. I may go for a 92mm fan for that reason. I'm hoping I can keep this system running "cool enough" with a minimal amount of fans.

Planning on mounting a 4x20 Matrix Orbital LCD in the front as well, need to determine how I want to mount that.

Also contemplating taking advantage of the PCIe x16 slot and putting in a low profile video card, but the slot is in a non-standard location on the board and I'd have to further mod the i/o shield and backplate to make one fit. Not to mention I'd be running into power supply limits. I'd just prefer to have a DVI output, which this board doesn't have. It does have an onboard composite, S-video, and Component header, so there is that option. I should just track down an SDVO card like the MSI Fuzzy 9904.

2. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

wow. nice board. looks good so far too

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Wow looking very good :thumb:

and from your passed mods I know it's going to turn out great

4. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

Good to see you back. I've enjoyed your previous mods.

5. W-fault

W-fault Otherwise known as widefault

Well, this one is going through some design changes. Switching from the MSI Fuzzy 965/Core2Duo mobile to an Intel DG45FC/E8400. Scary thing is the power usage isn't that different, so I can still use the Pico PSU.

Also decided to rebend the base/backplate. Just not happy with the current one, and I've decided to make the case a bit taller. I want to use a 3.5" hard drive and there just wasn't going to be enough clearance to mount that where I wanted if I still wanted to use the PCI slot. New board has a 1x PCI-e, which doesn't change that fact. Still, it'll only be ~6" tall. Going to take advantage of that extra height and see if I can squeeze a flash card reader in somewhere. Contemplating splurging for a slot lode DVD drive, but I don't look forward to cutting and filing the slot on the case.

Need to order some parts eventually. Nothing major, just some mesh, case feet, and a power switch. Pretty sure I have everything else in the parts box somewhere. Now I just need to get motivated and start working again. Currently in an apartment without a good space to do the dirty work, and winter is approaching so the unheated garage isn't going to be much help.