1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: "Building Better Worlds" by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 2 Feb 2008.

1. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Damn E.E.L. ... That's pretty... Green and Yellow, huh? :hehe:

I like it though... Somehow... It's like... Something you just keep staring at, and can't take your eyes away from! :D
    I love the DIY Powdercoating! I actually had no idea that existed, before I read this log! Don't worry though, I have a gas oven, so I'll just keep my hands off it! :nono:

Keep it up M8! :thumb:

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Thanks man!

Thanks, brother! Actually, orange will also be in there too. :D

I know... Looking at the parts coated in pieces, I want nothing more than to reassemble it and stare at it too! The colors went together in my opinion as a graphic designer on screen when I was thumb nailing ideas, so I figured I'd go for broke. It was a gamble I'm happy with...so far anyways. I'm most of the way through this, so we'll see soon. I'm hoping the case work will be done within a week or so, but there are other factors involved (i.e. real-life crap, etc.). I'm pushing though!

No, don't use a gas oven, LOL. I don't want you to become a real Angel, mate! :lol: You still have some modding to take care of!

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I'm pretty sure this will look great when assembled! So I understand your wantings for that! And I'm NOT gonna argue with a graphic designer about that, I know better! :hehe:
    At 28, I feel I have a couple of years left on this planet, so I agree! :lol: And it would be a terrible waste of ideas and skills, to leave too soon! :D
    But on the other hand, what would I powdercoat on this mod? The G5 is a beauty as is! :D
    I'll just look forward to updates, and expecially for the update that will show us the assembled case! :thumb:

4. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

That powder coat looks real nice :thumb: I dident know that those powder coating kits existed either.The colors that you have chosen will realy cheer up a rainy day.

So im not alone :D

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks for the kind words, man!

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I have to say, looks kind of John Deere to me, but I do respect you for the guts to use that theme and post it... BTW, excellent use of the powdercoating.

Are you gonna have a facehugger in there? Please, please do...

I'll be watching this, I see great potential...

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

Um, thanks...I think? LOL. Yeah, that green is pretty close to John Deere! :hehe: Never realized that. I love the green though. I really do. Guts? Eh, it's not the oddest thing I've tried, but it's pretty bright. I like how it's come out so far. Hopefully I'll be through the build soon. I need to order my acrylic as well.

Nah, no facehuggers this time around. It's more 'company' oriented, lol.

Thanks for the kind words, man!

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Don't take what I said wrong. I would not ever use or own a technicolor PC, but I think that you're doing your theme great justice. Too bad on the facehugger though. I still enjoy the mod, though. Sorry if it looked like I said I didn't like it.

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

Oh, no man I didn't! :hehe: :hehe: It's just my sarcastic nature probably coming through in my response is all. I perfectly understood where you were coming from, and your response. I appreciate your kind words, and appreciate you taking the time to view the mod! :thumb:

10. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

I'm missing something here.

Define: FaceHugger please?

11. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Larval stage of an Alien from the movies. Also been known to refer to actions by my grandmother:naughty:
    John

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

^LOL. hahahaha.

13. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Thats what google said. i thought it had another meaning.
    anyways, that makes the posts funnier.
    Woo!

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

February 9th Midnite Update!

Well, it's 12:06 Eastern here right now, and I'm still friggin' moddin'. :rock: I am a machine sometimes. But, I also had a good night's sleep last evening also. So I suppose that helps. Somewhat. And the crack too.

Alright, right to it. I got some stuff done tonight, but I mostly skipped doing any coating this time. It's very time-consuming. Anyways, I got a bunch of other crap out of the way instead, as it needed to be done.

First of, I went down to see Hank and the gang @ Performance-PC's right around the corner here. I love those guys. At risk of sounding like I'm shamelessly plugging them, they are truly great people. I placed the saved shopping cart order I had been tweakin' on and off for a couple months now on friday the 8th in the morning around 10 am, and I got a call from them about 4 pm saying it was all ready to come pick up. Now that's service! I can always count on that phone call with a simple phrase of "Jeremy...the Eagle has landed." :hehe: Good stuff. Hell, these guys invented the modular PSU!

Anyways, on to the updates. After I got my loot from PPC's, I went ahead and started tearing apart some new stuff I got. I decided I'm ditching the CM Vortex 752 CPU cooler for a better unit; the Thermalright XP-90. I wanted a better-performing unit that also staggered off the socket area and would allow me to install it facing either way. That's the one! I wanted a little more 'insurance' of space around the RAM slots so I can have enough clearance for my custom RAM cooler bracket I'm making. This gave me the room I needed, as well as cooling the mosfet area of the board in the process. Not to mention looking better. LOL.

I'm installing the bracket for the XP-90 here. I'm going to wait to install the unit proper until I have the 92mm aluminum fan coated and reassembled. Man, it's so lightweight considering what you're getting!

[​IMG]

*Warps to something else*

I wanted to replace the stock feet that were on the case from CM, as they...kinda sucked. They're too short in stature. And I wanted something with a bit more cushion to it (since this will be a LAN box), as well as more lift off the ground. I looked around and found these awesome stereo feet made out of rubber with reinforced metal washers inside them.

[​IMG]

They work like a friggin' charm and fit the theme well, IMO. Here they are all installed on the bottom of the chassis. Very cushiony and soft, just like case feet and toilet paper should be.

[​IMG]

I also got my 60mm x 10mm aluminum fans as well from PPC's.

[​IMG]

Good quality craftsmanship I'd expect.

[​IMG]

..And I proceeded to take them apart. :hehe: For two reasons. One is to sand the frames down for coating. The other is so I can check my measurements for my RAM cooler I digitally illustrated.

[​IMG]

...Spot friggin' on. :rock:

[​IMG]

Started reassembly of the chassis as well. It looks perfect to me. Pop-riveted the thing back together. You gotta make sure you use the right rivets for the right areas (i.e. countersunk where it calls for it, etc.), or you'll hate yourself and those around you.

[​IMG]

The more I look at it, it does look like a John Deere tractor, like KayinBlack said! :hehe: But this is only temporary, since there will be orange as well. Here's a little taste, before I hide it all until final assembly.

[​IMG]

I made a quick template for where the case handles are going to go on the chassis. I took measurements of the chassis, compensating for the PSU rack and the PSU itself, as well as the blow hole 80mm bracket when installed. You can drill holes anywhere you want, but you need the room for a large washer to go under the head of the screws to distribute the weight a bit or you'll regret it once you pick up the case with a full system installed. The top of the case will buckle up, and it'll make it look more pregnant than a 17 y/o high school student. That's not good for a case, guys. Nor a high school student. Nor is it even funny. Well, maybe a little. :D

[​IMG]

I have no action pics of drilling, because I have to use two hands to drill holes. If it's off, it sucks. So I don't take the chance!

After drilling and test install of the handles. Perfect.

[​IMG]

Well, it's now 12:45 in the morning, and I need to shower. Like, really bad. Not fall-into-a-dumped-over-port-o-let kind of necessity, but still. You get the picture.

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

15. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

looking good :)

16. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

EEL, no offense, this is a great mod, and some superior build quality and designing going int it etc etc...

but why on earth did you pick the most ugly colors you could find? :eeek:

I don't know wether to laugh, cry or just generally loose faith in humankind.

17. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

I still don't like the green (but that's just me) ........ I do love the yellow,and the 2 colors together ...........
    ..........does look pretty darn good ..........:thumb: ..........and I can't wait to see the orange .....

Alan

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

^:hehe: I once had an proffessor who said that male graphic artists were prone to BOMBASTIC color composition.
    :D This things going to look like ground up roadway repair equipment. You might as well add some reflective tape to it somewhere.

19. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

... and attach a spade to the side

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, bro!

:hehe: LOL. Thanks. All I can say is, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Aesthetics are a personal thing, I suppose.

Thanks, man. I think it's lookin' just like I pictured it.

LOL. hahahahhaa. The roadway repair thing killed me. Well, like I said before, I tend to go dark and evil for mod schemes, so this was a complete 180 from the usual. I wanted something bright and flashy and fun, and also fit in the the 'company' for the theme.

Thanks guys for the comments, even if you think I'm losing my mind. :thumb:

Tags: