1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: "Building Better Worlds" by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 2 Feb 2008.

1. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

one of those yellow flashing roadworks lights wouldnt go amiss with the case either ;)

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Ofc it is, and it is your mod, so it's your full right to paint little pink ponies on it if that's your particular fancy :D

But actually, i really was wondering why you picked these colours. Inspired by Cheapskate (we all know he's lost his mind ages ago)? Is this the next "new thing"? Will we all need 400UV grade sunglasses going to our next LAN?

Anyway, as said before, great modding, and very well-planned layout. I especially like the fact that you remembered to give the nadles a good surface area to carry the whole rig on. :thumb:

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I don't think I inspired this mod. I only use one bright color at a time.:D
    -And I haven't lost my mind. It's in the jar on top of the refridgerator.

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Thanks, mate! I actually chose the colors because I wanted to go a different direction than usual for me. After years of dark depressing-type mods, I figured I'd go for flash. Simply put: I wanted to go against what my mind was telling me to do in the first place. :hehe: I was inspired colorwise by "the Company" in the Aliens film; their badges, their raincoats, etc. all had a very bright color-scheme to it. So I wanted to give the case a color-scheme that echoed that a bit. I wanted it to look like some kind of a workstation, or perhaps a field-unit box for a WY worker. I dunno. I just wanted it bright! I can't really explain it.

It's all still gestating though. Give it time. It'll sink in. LOL. I have something special planned for the side panel.

Yeah, not using washers under the handles is a n00b issue. I actually watched someone pick up their case and it really did buckle up. I had to stifle the laugh. I felt bad for the person, but god...if you're gonna mod, know what you're doing!

EDIT:
    LOL. Nah, Cheap didn't inspire me; he's a like-minded psychotic individual. All of us sarcastichologists should stick together. :D

Last edited: 9 Feb 2008
  5. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

That sounds messy though, all that glue and sticky stuff, think of the marks you'd leave on a fresh mod paint job and the arguements over how to do a mod if we were stuck together....... :D

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

7. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Looking good,nice one :thumb:

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I was serious about the reflective tape, if you can find that stuff they use on road signs. That would work on this mod. It would also give you the added factor of your PC glowing in every pic taken at LAN parties.

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

:lol: You know, I kind of suspected you were serious. I'll see if I can track some dayglo tape down.

10. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Careful, don't shine a laser at it. You could put an eye out.

Side question: When you powder coat, does the baking process put out toxic fumes? I read that somewhere, but I can not find it.

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL

Yes, it does to a point. It's potentially dangerous as well as possibly flammable. If you don't have the facilities to do it in, there's a risk. You cannot use an oven that you also bake food in. You'll regret it on the way to the hospital. ;)

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

It is also quite dangerous to birds like Cockatiels and Parrots. Even a normal self cleaning oven puts out fumes that can kill these birds. My lady wife Marilyn either puts hers outside or takes them to my son's house. I now have my own oven in the tack room but it's winter now. These are words from a Parrot replacer.
    John

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

Aw, I'm sorry to hear. Truly. I lost my lovely cockatiel 5 years ago to old age. I miss her dearly; so much to the point where I cannot get another. It's too hard.

14. jhanlon303

Quite true. Marilyn's 2 watch TV and the Grey one whistles the theme from the Andy Griffith Show. I have pictures of the tamest one riding on the big black lab's back.
    John

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. Good times. Hahaha.

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

February 10th Update!

Hey again. Small update time. If anyone's still reading this, that is. :eyebrow: :lol: ...Is it the colors? Is that it?! Bah!! You're all a buncha closed-minded elitist freaks!! :hehe: Just kidding. Relax.

In all seriousness, I got some small stuff done today, and I'm still going. I may continue to work on it, but I'm not sure if I should stop and clean a bit. I have crap EVERYWHERE.

Here's basically what I did today.

I decided the burner for the system was bland and uninviting, so I decided to take it apart and spray it too to match the theme.
    I popped the little round thingy off the top of this NEC drive, which holds the plastic spinning mount to hold the discs down on the spindle when inserted. Plastic can't withstand 450-degree temps, so of course it's gotta come out.

[​IMG]

The insides of these things are cool looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...And after spraying and reassembly. Looks 10+ better than before.

[​IMG]

But-- That front. Blah. So let's add the already-sprayed stealthing assembly, shall we? Sorry for the blurry pic. Man, that's a terrible pic. Oh well.

[​IMG]

...And done. Nothing like having a burner that matches a bag of M&M's®! :hehe:

[​IMG]

*Warps to something else*

I was shooting something entirely unrelated to this project using a textured black. Here's a teaser pic.

[​IMG]

I prepared and sprayed the handles black to match the theme, as planned. I chose to use the textured black instead of the gloss to give the handles a bit of grip for when I'm lugging this ugly beast around with me. Here they are freshly sprayed, cured and cooling down.

[​IMG]

After cooldown, I went ahead and reinstalled them. I got a close-up pic to show the detail and the handle itself; i.e. the grip on it. Nice. Kinda has the texture of really used and worn down 80-grit sandpaper. No slipping of the hands on these things.

[​IMG]

I got some more acrylic designing done too. I honed the sound card cover to spot-on measurements. It'll look cool. I also decided I'm doing all the covers for the cards in green instead of orange.

[​IMG]

After shooting the front panel for the case in orange, I decided the LED holes I covered over with Lab Metal just wasn't perfect to me. I decided I'm giving the switches a 'mount' or something where they look like they belong there, and at the same time it'll be covering up the LED holes that you can still barely see. I needed to compensate for the stock switch hole being 7/8", and the bulgins being only 22mm, so obviously I needed something to mount the switches to securely as it's fastened to the front panel. Here's the switch plate after designing. It'll be two-layered, with orange behind it and green over that.

[​IMG]

I also sprayed the rest of the fans, aside from the RAM coolers in orange. I also sprayed the mobo tray. Here's the CPU fan reassembled and ready for sleeving. I shortened the fan cable drastically, because I wanted cable-management as tidy as possible.

[​IMG]

...And the 80mm's.

[​IMG]

Alright, that's all I have for now. I may have some more stuff done later, but can't promise it. I'm getting beat. After 14 hours here yesterday, this sucks. LOL. But hey...all part of the game, right?

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

17. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

I have a spare electric kitchen oven i can use, and if i want to just do a small part(say, PCI slot/cover, those handle, or something of that nature) i can get a mini-bake oven for $35
    I was wondering since my basement isnt really well ventilated, but it has windows. What I might end up doing is getting a plastic sheet/tarp, and creating a small box/room that has a vent out to the window. These are not toxic to the environment are they?

And i love that textured black. Just dont let your hand slip, it may hurt.
    And clean job on the fans

18. jhanlon303

Not toxic to environment just to living things with no ventilation. I use a window output fan with the box like you propose. Like a mini paint booth. Another option is an electric Toaster oven with a good temperature control. Put it in a large cardboard box and vent it outside with a small fan. Small parts really require more accurate temps than bigger stuff IMHO. Little odd shaped pieces tend to drip more than flat pieces. Drips are a pain.
    John

19. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

Have to say I, love this mod... Weyland Yutani is the way to go. And go for the reflective tape... you know it makes sense.

Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

20. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

Nice colours :p hehe flower power !

Tags: