1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project C6 Ant Mobile... **MANY MORE 8/11 PHOTOS** (BANDWIDTH EXCEEDED)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ArmyAnt, 11 Aug 2004.

1. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

My original H2 project (no, not a copy of the canadian mate, but an honest duplicate idea) started out as a project to build a PC revolving around my favorite car, the Corvette. After several attempts at my own modding website, or own website all together, I am going to do it here. 1st, I get more feed back here, and second, my host got hit by 3 different groups of evil doers in three weeks.

I just bought the parts, and will take picks and post sketches when they arrive.

1 x (80098-21) Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory Retail *** Free 2nd Day *** @ $163.00

1 x (100590) IBM Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 80GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer *** Free 2nd Day *** @ $69.50

1 x (150965) Shuttle XPC SN85G4V2 Athlon 64 Barebone Sytem Retail *** Free 2nd Day *** @ $288.95

1 x (172421) Sony DWD18A Double Layer DVD+RW Bare Drive (Beige) ***Free 2nd Day*** @ $78.50

1 x (80704-R) AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor Socket 754 Retail *** Free 2nd Day *** @ $299.00

1 x (320744) ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 PRO AGP 8X 128MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI Retail *** Free 2nd Day *** @ $311.00

I choose zipzoomfly.com instead of newegg this time, so we will see how it works out. They are cheaper than newegg, and also have free 2nd day shipping!

Last edited: 11 Aug 2004
  2. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Body Picture

This is the body. It will be two tone red black, starting out army red at the bottom going to black at the top, with little black ants marching across it. The windows will be left clear, for a 6 inch lcd to go in the front for chatting, and a 1.6 lcd in the back for color stats. I have a corvette logo pulled off the vette a friend sold for dirt, and will be using it fot the fan grill on the roof. It will have dvd drive pop out of the front bumper, and have the connections popping out from hiding in the back, ith the agp riser card. The ICE cooling will be redirected to work in cooperation with my roof fan.

[​IMG]
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHLT2&P=FR

SPECS: Length: 17-1/4" (438.15mm)
    Width: 7.875" (200mm
    Height: 5.25" (133.35mm)

That is the body with its specs, but I don't currently have a host. So until then, get off your lazy bum and click the link!

3. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Good luck with the project. Sorry about your site attempts.

I have a truck body sitting on my shelf that I bought to do just this sort of project, but I can't afford the hardware. I really need to dust that thing off and do this.

4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Wow, nice! I always did like the styling of the C6, so it'll be nice to see one as a computer. :rock:

5. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I figure I have a while before it is outdated, seeing how the car isnt out yet and all. Thanks for the feedback!

6. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Anyone else use ZipZoomFly? Formerly GoogleGear? Should I be worried?

7. Bones

Bones What's a Dremel?

never used it still a newegg junky!

But good luck with it this should look awesome. I have a few r/c cars and have painted bodies for them. Do you know anything about painting lexan bodies?

8. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

want to make a quick sketch just to show us the placement ideas? just a very quick one

9. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Ill make a sketch, but I am having the body shipped off to be painted, cause I don't know what the hell I am doing. I am also having the chassi and other misc metal parts chromed.

10. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Here is a horrible, horrible sketch. The top is the front.
    The top cut is so the bumper can be attached to the cd drive, and the cut mark in the back is so I can make it flip open to connect the hardware. I still need to figure out where to place the card reader, but oh well. The Fan grill works perfectly, I have pictures, but lost my card reader, so I will send some when I find it. I am also thinking about moving the back stat LCD to where it could better be seen at the side.

[​IMG]

11. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Here are Pics of the Roof Fan Grill:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the 2 inch lcd:

[​IMG]

I went to newyork a couple of weeks ago and soaw this poster in the subway. Read closley. See c&*N$%? Also notice who the picture is taken of. You New Yorkers are Nutz! :D

[​IMG]

12. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

A neat thing about the LCD is the video input, and when I dont want stats, the tv tuner in it still works, so I can watch tv as well. Also I can do it on the graphics card I got. Thats a lot of tv. I think I will put the video ins/outs where I put the card reader, wherever that is. :sigh:

13. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Should I go with black, gunmetal or chrome rims? I am thinking black or gun metal. Any Ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the most likely wheel candidates:

[​IMG]

14. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I hate to put a down on things but having done a similiar mod with miniITX boards you have not a chance in hell if getting a 23.4 cm wide motherboard into that shell :( You will need a 1/8th scale shell at the very least not the 1/10th one you linked to below. All the 1/10th scale ones will be only 18cm wide at the most .

:)

15. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

No. You're wrong. I have put a full size ATX in the H2 Mod that I and one other have done. This is also a shuttle barebones system. The case itself is only 7.5 inches wide.

16. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Also, its 20 cm's wide, not 18. Hence the 200mm=20cm. Thanks for the warning though. Sorry if I sounded rude or sarcastic.

17. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

To show Dimensions, these are the stats of the shuttle case. The components are even smaller.

Dimensions: 11.6" x 7.9" x 7.1" 8 high, 7.1 wide. mother board is 6.75 i believe. Vette is 7.85 inches. Also 5.25 high. and 17 inches long. I could almost fit the whole case in it.

18. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Oh, I will also be most likely selling the shuttle case, so if you are interested in replacing your old case let me know! This is supposed to be an awesome looking case.

19. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Ok the dimensions of the motherboard in the sn85 is the following:

Form Factor
    Flex/MicroATX: 25,4 x 18,5 cm (taken from the shuttle site)

The width of the shell is 200mm but the shells all curve inwards at the bottom , I've 5 shells here all 200mm wide and the maximum space inside is about 190mm.

Which means the shuttle board would slide into the shell widthwise just but you have to worry about the length of the board. Because the wheels cut into the space you only have a rectangle in the middle of the 4 wheels of about 190mm x 200mm with the shuttle board being 254mmx 185mm it won't fit in that space.

To show you want I mean have a look at this shot of my car pc being built.

[​IMG]

This uses a mobo 170mm x 170mm and there is very little room to play with in any direction , only about 10mm in any direction.

I really hope you can squeeze it in , but having done this with a miniITX board and having looked at putting a shuttle board in there I'm pretty certain it cant be done. The only way it may be possible would be to have the board tilted slightly but you dont have a great deal of height in these things.

Good luck :)

EDIT: If you have a look at these larger bodyshells from HPI you may find one that you like: http://www.hpiracing.com/bodies/body-s.htm (The HPI shells are better quality than the proline ones in the side by side comparisons I've done. :) )

20. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately HPI has no C6. I am also riviting the wheels, and may possibly have them hang out of the wheel well a tad. I know I have 6 inches of play length wise, didnt think about the wheels though. I was going to cram the mobo in the back, and dvd burner in the front. I am also using a AGP/PCI riser, so I should be able to fit in in 3 1/2 to 4 inches height wise. The C6 back end only seems to go down about 10%. If worse comes to worse, the wheels wont roll. I looked at the C5R Body before, that was going to be my original one when I was going to cram a full size mobo in it instead of a shuttle. The body is being sent to me before the painter, and I will decide what to do when the two come in. If worse comes to worse, I am out 30 bucks for a shell, and have to go with the C5-R. How wide are the tires approx.?