1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Cadillac Stacker : Finished at long last 6/1/08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by skunkmunkey, 30 Jul 2007.

1. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Ok, first off hi to all, this is my first post here. have been browsing the site for a while now but have been too busy to sign up to the forum. Now I got some time on my hands thought i would post my project log for you all to see.

This project is based on a pimped out Cadillac, you know... Snoop Dogg style. Im just gonna post a load of pics to show you where ive gotten too so far. This is my first real mod and a lot of things didnt go as planned so there have been a few changes to the design too.

These first pics aint all that great as the silly host deleted my pics. Had to get them from another site that I had my log posted on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats an RS turbo bonnet vent, which i have used Isopon to bond to the top of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This part of the case (from the top of the stacker) will for the window for my Fass-o-matic reservoir (like the aquatube). When I painted the top this part went wrong so I took it apart and filled it with expanding foam, this also works as a nice strong glue.

[​IMG]

Ok so thats the top filled (still needs to be sanded yet) those 2 holes are for the power and reset switches.

[​IMG]

now this bit that i have circled houses one of these... (a knightlight)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and you can see from the front I have cut out the stacker logo and put in a plexi window so the lights will shine through.

Now onto the front panel. I completely remade this as I didnt like the first one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got myself a genuine used Cadillac script logo for the front panel too :)

[​IMG]

Sorry for the blurry pics, my camera died at this point so treated myself to a new one. Basiclt thats 2mm alu sheet, bent and had a hole cut out for the mesh grille. You can also see a hole for the LCD and the slot load plextor dvd-rw drive.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2008
  2. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Got some more pics uploaded so few updates shortly

3. Noobkiller

Noobkiller What's a Dremel?

OMG! I need to watch this mod!

4. Stievius

Stievius Industrial Design Student

What the f***, that looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet!

The theme, the logo, the paint job > :O

5. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

This sure is one to watch, I did not see your name and assumed that this was Coolermeister up to his usual tricks.

This is very nice, keep up the good work.

6. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

hey thanks guys, Ive gotten quite a bit of this done already, just taking some time to upload all the pics :)

7. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

I like the metallic purple. Looks good. Reminds me of my '72 cadillac couple de ville. I loved that car, white leather top and interior and air shocks with a 474! Keep up the good work.

8. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

Nice job, can't wait to see where this is going!

9. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Thats basicly what the mod is based on. Oh yea, will have white leather inside too.

10. The X

The X What's a Dremel?

Cool the new Front Panel !!!

I follow you!

11. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

I love stalcker projects. And this seems to be really good.

Great work.

12. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Got myself a genuine Cadillac Center cap from Ebay USA, Just cut a hole in the side of the case and used some automotive tape to secure it. Panel just needs clearcoat and a polish now :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now onto the window for the main side. Ive never done any engraving before but im pretty happy with how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also had a quick polish of the front bars,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they were a pain as they were anododised. Didit help that my drill jumped and left a nasty gouge in the metal either. Have got some polish coming in the post that will get this to a perfect mirror finish.

Also had a quick spray of the internals and mobo tray. These are all gloss white as you can see.

[​IMG]

The next thing was to get the front insert painted.

[​IMG]

Just gotta clean those edges up and apply some black tinting film to the window.

The side panel has caused me a real headache. Its taken a lot of work to get it smoothed evenly, the paint im using really shows up the defects too.

[​IMG]

Its looking better now (pics to follow) but there is a bump in the paint. Ive decide to leave this as im having a special circle aluminium surround made which will cover it up anyway. Thanks for all the nice comments guys, as this is my first all out mod Its nice to have feedback.

13. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

wow it looks great so far!

14. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

My sled lives in your case.....woot! I'll be watching this one. Awesome job so far.

15. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Hehe yea, I got some genuine Cadillac parts in the hope it would give it some of that caddy spirit....

Anyway on to the main side panel again, here we have the panel all clearcoated and polished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not sure but in that last photo you can just see the raised area I mentioned earlier.

Ok so now comes the case itself...

[​IMG]

all primed and ready to go..

[​IMG]

all painted and looking good. Now here is where i started having problems, first off I managed to burn through the paint while polishing. So i sanded down and repainted. At this point I realised I was supposed to be picking my daughter up from playschool :( I then forgot about the case and left it in the sun... BIG mistake. Parts of the paint bubbled, some i managed ot polish out ok but theres one part which im not sure what im gonna do. The paint im using doesnt blend in too well if you try and re-touch small areas so I think im just gonna leave and possibly cover with some white vinyl. ive spent far too much on rattle cans as it is... Im getting a compressor and gun next time!

The inside of the case is gonna be white to go with my purple and white theme.

I stripped case down with sandpaper/stripper and some scotchbrite pads.

[​IMG]

and then used a white etch primer

[​IMG]

Its currently drying in the garden after its first white gloss coat. I used a Plastikote metal paint as its nice and tough.

The next part im working on is a fan controller, this is a modded Vantec which Coolmeister was Kind enough to let me have (thanks mate). The knobs are actually dust caps for a Caddy, I got some woodgrain vinyl and made a quick mock-up but im not totally happy. im toying with the idea on usnig veneer, but as ive never used it before im not sure how it would turn out. Its gonna be used inside the case, so will be like a dashboard trim, hence the wood effect.

[​IMG]

16. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Nice work man.

17. Noobkiller

Noobkiller What's a Dremel?

one word; :rock:wicked!:rock:

18. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Ok been hard at work and Ive now got the case put back together. Its got a bit dusty so needs a cleanup tho.

[​IMG]

Now at the bottom you cans see ive installed the rad, if you look carefully you can see ive made a cream leather surround for it. This is basicly Akasa acoustic foam and MDF. The foam gives it a nice soft effect and im hoping will go some way to reducing the noise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next part has a smoked plexi window in it, but more on that later. The other shot shows just how tedious applying the leather is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. KaotiK

KaotiK What's a Dremel?

Looking great mate. You get the block i sent you?

20. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

yea got it this morn mate. Postie said all mail is being delayed atm due to strikes etc. cant wait to get it all fitted now :)

Anyway back to the mod, got a few things done this morn so thought id post a teaser. Theres still some work to be done yet but this gives you an idea of where im heading with this.

[​IMG]

need to sort out the lables on those fans, but is just a quick mock-up of what it will look like.

[​IMG]

Ive had this pump and chrome housing packed away for nearly a year, almost forgot how damn sexy it is :)

[​IMG]

Tags: