1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Project Cars creator teases 'Mad Box' VR console

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 3 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

So aiming for below-acceptable performance for even current HMDs (90Hz), then.
    To highlight the depths of Marketing Bull$#1! descended to here, The PSVR - on a regular non-pro PS4 - is capable of 120FPS 'per eye'. Their 'performance'* bar is literally half that of current gen. 'Per eye' is also an utterly nonsensical qualifier because you damn well expect a HMD to display views to both your eyes at the same time you idiots.

* Mainly because 1) VR performance is measured in latency-per-frame not in FPS, and 2) you can get whatever arbitrary framerate at whatever arbitrary resolution you like as long as you tune your workload to match

3. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it matters what it can do, who is going to buy it. Its not like any other VR platform has done particularly well.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

As of August, PSVR has sold more than 3 million units in an 11 month period. That's not far off many full console first-year sales (e.g. outsold the Nintendo DS 2.3m first year sales), for a peripheral. On the PC side growth has continued to be pretty constant with a minimum of 700k on Steam alone (which fails to count Rift users on Oculus Home). Then there's the mobile side, with masses of GearVR and Cardboard/Daydream headsets available, Oculus Go, and the upcoming Oculus Quest.
    ::EDIT:: As per Nvidia, "4 million PC VR" HMDs. 7 million non-mobile consumer VR HMDs in under 2 years from a standing start is nothing to sniff at.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2019
  5. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong I like my PSVR, it has a reasonable software library and easier to work with than PC based VR but people who are into VR have probably got it by now and those that don't probably won't until you can do it for the price of a game, so who are they selling it too.

Regarding SteamVR growth, how much of that is people like me using PSVR on the PC because it is cheap and easy to do so.

PSVR is an absolute bargain right now at £170 for what it offers.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

An exceptionally tiny fraction, as the experience is absolutely awful (unacceptably high latency due to Extended Mode, extremely poor tracking, lens distortion compensation so bad to be almost nonexistant, etc).

7. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Seems fine to me, played plenty on rift and know it is better but not enough for me to buy as they all have very poor displays right now. But my mongrel set up of PSVR, trinius and move using Kinect to track etc is OK. Not noticed latency issues but as I predominantly console game these days, perhaps my standards have slipped. Optics, well they are what they are.

Anyway on topic Mad box have corrected specs https://twitter.com/bell_sms/status/1081165368561790977

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Tags: Add Tags