1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project "Caution! Overclocked" - CrossFire 7970 / X58 Extreme / Xeon / Corsair 800D

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AT0MAC, 21 Jun 2018.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Slowly crawling in on the 1 week mark since I started this crazy project.
    It's almost like having a birthday or being christmas everyday, I get either a package or a letter every single day at the moment.

Today I have assembled some of the smaller accessories, to reveal a little more of my big plan:

[​IMG]

Some molex to 3-pin adapters, some 3-pin extenders, some Sata cables (wait and see, I have 3 sata items planned), a thermal pad for the graficcards (they can for sure use some new pads) and 2 different thermal pastes that should fit into the age range of components - Zalman ZM-STG1 and Arctic Silver 5. Zalman because I need quite a lot for when I am swapping CPUs around untill I find the one Im going to use in the end, I have 3 CPUs so far, so no need to use something expensive until I choose the right one. And the AS5 I am thinking I will use for the final assembly, should be the best paste at the time.

Follow along tomorrow for more reveals

2. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

3 days have passed and I have to admit to be too busy with other things, but it shouldn't stop because of that - then you just get 3 products at once!

1) WD Velociraptor 10.000 RPM HARD DRIVE 1 TB
    2) 120 OCZ Agility 3 SSD boot drive
    3) HP Lightscribe DVD Reader / burner

All 3 products that are very easily overlooked today but were the hottest at the time.

[​IMG]

Beside that, we have now passed the 1 week mark and I still have a ton of packages on the way, among some very interesting parts I ordered yesterday. Right now I await packages from Italy, USA, China, UK, Netherlands and Germany.

Follow along tomorrow for more reveals of my big plan.

As of now, this is the whole gang I have revealed for you:

[​IMG]

3. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

In just over 1 week, my 4 Threads (here, OCN, LTT and Danish site Tweak) I'm running simultaneously now have 2195 views. It's pretty good statistics in such a short time, will be exciting to see what happens when I actually start building.....

Thanks guys, you are part of this statistic, hope you want to comment and interact more later on in the build, thats when it gets real fun.

Hugs all around!

4. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Today's photo - project "working title"... I have another name in mind when it's finished, but this sticker will be part of builded (like technology in general, it's called something else after it's released)

[​IMG]

Follow along tomorrow, I expect to have a somewhat more fun update in place then (I know it's a little tame today)

5. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Oops, I did it again...

I missed one day because I'm doing too much at once - so here you get 2 products at the same time!

I GOT FANS!

[​IMG]

Swiftech Helix and Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon - both old school fans with crazy much blow, not at all like they make them today, then the term quiet wasn't something that was spent a long time on.

... and don't worry, I have many more than 2 but was a little lazy and wouldn't unpack more of them.

Tomorrow I will pick up a very neat accessory for the fans, just you wait and see ;)

6. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Damn it, missed again!

2 products today then. Did not get to unpack the accessory for the fans, it will come later, but I picked it up plus a few other things.

[​IMG]

Todays products: ALPS 1.44MB floppy drive and a matching round Belkin cable!

[​IMG]

I know this is tech way older than 2013, but in all my machines, if I at some point want to use a floppy for running an older OS, emulators and whatnot, then this is my oldest and biggest machine - so I have space and it is not totally out of place

7. zak

zak Build Clean people, build clean

Hey man I think I might have won last weeks mod of the month competition! I didnt even know I was a contestant! If you go to the mod of the month main page my build is there! And guess what else I found out today??!? I am now the most liked/ top number 1 post OF ALL TIME on reddit watercooling forum! Check it out!

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/top/

Go to all time if its on past 24 hours!

Ill be following your build here too! Keep up the posts!

AT0MAC likes this.
  8. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

AWESOME!!!!

My biggest success yet is on the danish site Tweak.dk, they featured me on their Facebook site and I had the most read thread for over 4 months (because apparently they reset most read threads after 4 months, so can no longer see the statistic)! (currently 6.882 views on that 1 site alone) for Killer Panda.
    Apparently I have quite the amount of passive fans there, I am also writing up this thread there and a few of them over there are mentioning really old builds I used to do, like my Mac mods many years ago.
    I guess I should step up my game and collect all the 20 or so mods I have done and build myself a "portfolio" at one of my domains. Could be interesting to see where that might take me....

Beside that, I have still not gotten around to posr on "r", never used it and it seems a little "too American" for my taste, but when ever I feel like I get the time I should probably give it a shot.

Your build is epic, no doubt about that.

9. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

The past weeks product reveals + todays product: Swiftech H220!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still to this day one of the meanest and most powerfull AIO pumps, I have actually used this cooler until shortly before I build Killer Panda.
    Will do a fluid swap on it before this build, I know some have evaporated with the years there has passed.

You get todays update early, as im actually right now on my way to the postoffice, posting this via my phone!

Follow along tomorrow for more parts revealed, I have so many boxes there need unboxing......

10. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

I did something really smart yesterday...

I have now unpacked all the packages I got this week and it's not so few, to take pictures of the whole lot - so now I have pictures enough for little over 1 week :D
    Then I can maybe live up to 1 photo a day, every day, from now on.

Today's product: Lamptron FC2!

[​IMG]

Old school fan controller with real mechanical potentiometers, nothing digital here, mechanics!
    This is the one I have teasted some days as the solution to my very noisy fans, I told you I had a solution, it just had to come home from Italy first ;)

11. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Just looked at the statistics, so far there is 3.540 people who have viewed my pictures leading up to this project.

Linus Tech Tips 950
    Tweak.dk 931
    Bit-tech 883
    Overclock.net 776

Thanks for all the reactions and interest! We are not done yet ;) so stay around

12. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

I have just updated the "shopping list", see it in post #1.

As you can see, this is not a budget build!
    Instead it has turned into a build that tells a story "I build a PC in 2009 and upgraded it in 2013, see how bad a$$ it is in 2018".

As I mentioned earlier, in those years I was a Mac modder and Apple user, so was not following what was going on in the PC world at the time. So this is to catch up and see what I have missed.

Now when all actual parts have arrived I am starting to figure out what I should mod into the build, I simply can't leave it untouched.
    Also, need to change thermal paste, fluid swap the AIO, use some contact cleaner on parts and blow away dust, it all needs some love.

I promise it will be fun to see, this build is not like the rest around here.

13. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Today's product may not be quite 100% age correct, but the "style" is at least:

Bitspower true silver fitting and metal screw on hose clamps!

[​IMG]

We are talking soft tubing in original style before hard tubing became mainstream and just 1 level over plastic strips, the golden (or silver) middle ground ;)

Will be fun to see your reactions when I've uncovered the whole plan for the cooling system, it's a little bananas

[​IMG]

14. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Just tried to see what I could have spend the same kind of money on if I wanted to buy new parts, it's a little depressing because I'm almost sure that would have beaten the Killer Panda in terms of performance....

Calculated in Danish kr.

Calculated in USD, almost similar just different PSU

Oh well, the money is spend and this is a rather interesting project anyway, so no need to be sad about I did not go this route. Just fun to think about what choices are out there.

15. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Bonus Picture!!

Had a little time today to actually do something practical on the project, like cleaning the graphic card that will be water cooled and clean the GPU block so it now shines as new.

[​IMG]

... and as it is seen in the background I have the right "tools" for the job

16. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

2 of the mods going into the construction of this machine, will be a vandal switch with light as a "Power" button and white sleewing to any of the many small cables that are not very pretty as standard.

So today's products: Paracord & Lamptron Vandal Switch!

[​IMG]

17. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

As we wait for this build to get up on it's feet, then today the Killer Panda got featured at Cable Mod on both Twitter and Facebook:)

-also, if you for some reason still have not seen what I refer to as the Killer Panda, then check it out there, its quite unique. Its that system I will pit against this old timer, two build by me (and maybe more) against each other

18. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Today's product: Radiator for graphic card, 140 mm for 1x 7970 should be enough ;)

[​IMG]

... see that's what I need the Helix fans for

19. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Bonus picture!

[​IMG]

Wayback machine and I found the original product page at Lamptron for FC2 fan control (the current link they have today at their site dont work for this model) - here is a snippet from the manual from back then.
    "For the power user that wants the best!"

20. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Today's product(s): 2x Laing DDC-1 T pump!

[​IMG]

Why 2? It will make more sense when the next product is revealed. This is going to be crazy.