1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Cerberus

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mcbeckel, 3 Jun 2005.

1. mcbeckel

mcbeckel What's a Dremel?

I have been so impressed of what I have seen since I joined this forum that I thought that I would share my mod. I am usually only able to work this project on the weekend so updates may be sporadic. Any way onto the mod!!

Hardware
    Processor: AMD64 3000+
    Motherboard: Gigabyte ??????
    Ram: 1GB
    Video: GeForce 6600GT
    HDD: 120GB SATA Maxtor and a 75GB IBM Deathstar (opps Deskstar)
    CD/DVD: Sony DVDRW (+/-)
    Case: Antec 630 (Midtower Chieftec)

Disclaimer: I started this mod a while back before I had a digital camera so I don't have any pics of the front bezel being modded. I first hacked out the horizontal vents in the bottom and filled them with bondo and sanded smooth. I the drilled two hole with a hole-saw for some 80mm fans.

A while back I had decided to just paint the case a black metal flake and see if I liked the results.
    [​IMG]

Well since I am writing this log, you can guess that I did not like the results. Overall the paintjob turned out alright but there were a couple of drips and a smear on the front. After some sanding I retuned the bezel back to normal.

The new design will be a combination of the pic above and the one below. Only my head knows what the final product will be.
    [​IMG]

I just picked up some transparent red acrylic from a local plastic shop. I got two pices, a 12"x24" and a 24"x24". This stuff looks exactly like a taillight of a car...mmmm..nice.

Cutting the acrylic with my router made a mess but the end result is nice and smooth.
    [​IMG]

I decided the first mod for the day is going to be a base. I have typed enough, so I'll let the pictures do the talking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come this weekend.

2. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

Heh. Cerberus is the name of the family's dog in my Latin textbook... or at least it was, until they all died.

I'm with ya on that one, drawing/explaining is too complicated for me... I figure, they'll see what I mean when I'm done with it.

3. mcbeckel

It's also the three-headed watchdog who guards the entrance to the lower world, Hades. At least according to Greek mythology.

4. Devil_909

Devil_909 What's a Dremel?

That would be the version I am more familiar with. I like the work so far. Its too bad I do not have a local plastic shop. I am looking forward to seeing where you take this.

5. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Just a simple explanation: Cerberus is the keep of hell's gates :)
    I really love the name for a project man!

The sketchup design looks pretty cool, I think this might turn out to be a good looking project! Keep it up, and I'll subscribe!

6. cerberus

cerberus What's a Dremel?

great name for a project, and the base looks good to

7. mcbeckel

Originally i was going to cut the front bezel out of a piece of MDF, but lately I have been thinking that this thing is going to weigh a ton and a nice steel bezel would save some weight when compaged to a 1.5-inch thick piece of wood. So now I have two options:

1) Get a welding shop to bend the steel to the correct shape. I would then have to cut out the details (fans, switchs, dvd, ...)

2) It's A Laser...just typing that is cool...having the panel percision laser cut and bended to the correct shape.

Here is a redo of the front..I have intentionally left the area between the led's and the dvd blank for a future lcd (don't have the money now)

[​IMG]

More pics to follow, but the wife has the digital camera this weekend and she is out of town. :waah:

8. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Youd want to cut the holes before you get the panel bent, otherwise it may be a bit of a pain.

Laser cut would look great :D

9. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

You could still use MDF for the front though. Unless you are planning on taking it to LANs a lot.

10. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

I love it man! Reminds me a heck of a lot of my case, which I love too lol. Gotta love dual 120 intakes. Your cuts and such are a lot cleaner than mine though. Mine has been about 8 different designs and never really planned, just hacked away. Keep up the bad@ss work my friend.