1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project - Charity Build- Narcolepsy UK

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Glent, 13 May 2012.

1. Chatsicle

Chatsicle What's a Dremel?

Been somber here for nearly a week, hows everything coming along mate? Anything new to show or had other things on the go... :)

2. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the lack of updates. I'll post more detail soon.

We are seeking assistance producing some flyers/posters or banner etc. To prmote the event

If you have any experience doing something like this, please contact us ASAP. We've had three people make promises to produce them over the last few months. :(

We're behind schedule due to some hold ups , again more on that soon.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to say thanks to every that had donated,offered advice, written comments.

Finally we may be opening this up worlwide. Not a decision taken likely, We are receiving messages almost daily asking if we could though. We ran a poll and the response was 10 to 1 in favour of doing it.

More soon :rock:

3. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

This is fantastic. Sub'd.

I can't make a donation this month as stuff has already been bought but next month I'll throw over some money for the good cause.

Posted it to LinkedIN and Facebook when I get home from work :)

Great stuff to see kids modding :)

4. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Right then an update :thumb:

Progress
    Thanks to our friends over at Pulse Modding
    [​IMG]
    http://www.pulsemodding.com/

They have done some epic work on the Fractal Design XL Side panel

Initial plan
    [​IMG]

The plan was soon Revised after a 240mm Phobya Grille was donated by candccentral
    [​IMG]
    http://www.candccentral.co.uk/

[​IMG]

Pulse Modding set to work and....

Nice!
    [​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Connor will be fitting several Noctua fans to the system in the coming days. We await the final pieces from

[​IMG]

They sent us this image over ,Connor is looking forward to fit them!
    [​IMG]

The colour will work well with the Nocutas and the GPU, Lots of nice cables coming soon

Credit to these guys, going the extra mile for us

Till next time :rock:

This is extremely unique, seeing competitors working along side each other to support us

5. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

The Fractal looks nice mate !

6. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Cheers mate, Connor is on a fishing trip with Grandad tonight,I can't wait till those cables and fans are fitted :cooldude:

Still so more custom work form Pulse to reveal

Remember guys clockingis ticking, get your donations in asap. Even £1 is enough for your entry into the raffle!

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/ConnorsBuild

7. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Another reveal...

Epic motherboard cover from PULSE MODDING
    let me stress this "IS NOT" about covering up the brand of the board , is simply something Connor wanted to do, no matter what board we put in their, the plan was always to stealth it

Will look even better with the GPU, Cooler etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again to

[​IMG]

&

[​IMG]

for sponsoring us

Ok ,relieved to build 2nd place prize last night and stress test it. All worked as hoped. Only niggle we ran into was need to make a tiny cut into the mobo cover to allow the GPU to fit.

Pics incoming. I' hadn't noticed photobucket has been resizing our images down to 1024 for a little while now. We're hoping (Pending time) to reupload some better res shots.

Cables should be with us tomorrow, then its a case of finishing the cursed side panel! for 2nd place. Grabbing some photos and promoting this as much as possible

Facebook users expect to see a mention of thisproject .....in quite a few places :rock:

8. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

The sleeved cables arrived and connor couldn't wait to fit them :p

*we aren’t sure about the fan orientation* opinions welcome

[​IMG]

Corsair H80 needed to come out, acess to the 8pin was limited.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Connecting the 24pin extension
    [​IMG]

Fitted
    [​IMG]

6pins removed from GPU
    [​IMG]

Connecting extension
    [​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

Hone stretch!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still need to tidy up the cables and choose the best route etc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1st place is Done !

Recap of specs
    Intel 3570k
    Ecs Golden board Z77
    Crucial 16GB Ram
    Zotac Nvidia 560ti
    Corsair 120GB SSD

Yummy :D

2nd place prize

only a little work done today. Connor have a brainwave when he simply asked "does the rad have to be fitted at back?"

He spotted an opportunity with the meshed front panel on the antec one hundred. , just so happens the rad fits nicely in the optical bay area...and the holes line up to mount it from the front!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24 days left people! :D

Last edited: 7 Aug 2012
  9. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Just checking in with an update.

Firstly due to a number of reasons , We've extended the deadline for the raffle. its now open until the end of September

To put it simply what connor is going through, another Narcolepsy sufferer said this to me recently

We've been talking this over at home, he's not upto it and that's ok, we need to concentrate on his health not deadlines.

So we all decided to take a different approach, the work connor still had to do, will be done by me and his chosen helper.. also we've reached out for some help from friends,family and a few companies.

Everyone has rallied around, grandma is running a local event , fun, games raffles etc.

His chosen helper is...his little sister. She saw Connor was frustrated and offered to help out. You'll see below she had great fun lately with the builds.

Cue sophie installing a DVD drive, cabling it and reversing the fans on the cooler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We hope connor is back on track soon, but no matter what happens these still are connors builds.

Video of her making this look too easy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3bwoobqbco&feature=plcp

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Absolutely :thumb:

Figured I'd better chip in my donation before it's too late & I forget, £20 + £5 gift aid :) I'd love to give more but I'm not well off & behind on bills otherwise I'd throw in something more significant, I tried sharing it on Facebook but I had to accept some terms from virgin I didn't want to so I'll just post a link & description, some decent people on there so maybe some will donate hopefully. :)

I joined FB, quit it & got back on there. :lol:

Modding AND a thousand smiles :D not seen that before in a project log. :rock:

I'm well impressed, I was scared to open the side panel on a PC & poke around it when I just got into them at 20 YO, :hehe: next gen modders, wow, wow & more wow. :D:clap:

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Agreed! This makes me very proud! Great work once again! :thumb:

12. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Wow Glent you got a full team on hand , you planning on doing a F1 team anytime soon :p ,

also some good build's mate !

13. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Hey thanks this mean alot. :clap:

Cheers :thumb:

Hehe thanks :thumb:

Update on that cursed side panel.

lots of wet 'n' dry sand paper and quite a few hours later, it was sanded down, primed and resprayed black, it the moment of truth. To stripe or not to strip.?

The paint was a no go...not after the last few attempts go wrong... but..Another brain wave from Connor.

Why not use Carbon?
    Nice clean lines!

[​IMG]
    ( we bought this stuff in the long long ago, In fact I forget we even had it /facepalm)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now Connor needed a way to tidy up the rough edges, from the Jigsaw cut. Boom another impressive idea! This is simply the stuff used for shipping large packages, the annoying stuff we all try to snap by hand and fail .... what just me ?

[​IMG]

(not glued yet )
    [​IMG]

Sadly we had a mishap with the plexi window that was waiting to be fitted, its a long story but it was rendered not usable.

Thankfully our friend from TMB Create has come to connor's aid and cut as shiny new window for him. To top that he even seen some nice goodies over too.

This isn't the first thing sent over from TMB, infact it'll be the last thing we reveal..it's simply that unique and special.

Lastly with the scraps of plexi we have here. A PSU cover is now in the works, so hopefully we'll be seeing this build 100% done , around of the end of next week.
    So somewhat of a more positive update! woohoo

Last edited: 19 Aug 2012
  14. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Side panel is done :)
    [​IMG]

Leaving the protective film on, until we do the final photos and then straight back on!

We've put the damaged plexi to good use and make some progress on the PSU cover
    [​IMG]

Installed

[​IMG]

Just waiting on connor to decide on colour choice
    Black
    or Yellow
    or Striped

(try to match the striped pattern from the side panel )

15. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Little bit of work done today, just need work the pesky air bubbles out of the carbon. It's nice and clean without the side panel for sure. We're thinkg we need turn the waterblock over 180 and route the tube above the ram and hide them?

or leave as is?

Fan colour is set to be black/white was going be yellow/black but it needs something a little different.

Finnal things to do now ,really going to miss working on these. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Project HAZZARD ! =) Glent do you have a smile as wide as your children's , Use the self timer next lets have a group shot ! =)

17. CptGooch

CptGooch What's a Dremel?

I agree 110%. This is a family mod, so we should get a family picture. I will say this project log has really touched my heart. I think it's time to see if my PC gaming nephew is ready to upgrade from custom Lego's to custom computers.

18. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Sigh Im afraid the good looks and smiles come from Mum! but yes I could grab a few photos :p

Thanks mate, go for it! its a great experience, I think I've alread said somewhere in the log, Kids these days know alot about tech ! Their unique ideas are just brillaint.

19. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

you just the grumpy old man then :p

20. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

:cooldude:
    some great news!

After 142 days of planning,emailing,painting,building and having lots of fun.....Today we have reached our Target of £1,500

Our Local event today organised by Connors grandmother and her team of helpers was a huge success! and pushed the total amount donated just over £1,500

The raffle is still open and you have until 30th September to donate and enter.

To celebrate reaching the target, we will be awarding one of the donators with something special.

If you have already donated, keep checking your email inbox in next 24 hours!

With 36 days left what will the final total be?

Thanks for all the comments and praise. it's meant alot.

Too all the companies & individuals involved who believed in connor. providing him with this tools to make a difference, all of our family members and friends who encouraged him...without you we would have nothing to give this important charity ...for this we thank you all!

We did have a few things left to announce with some sponsors for even more runner up prizes ect. I've decided to stop chasing,mailing and stressing about them.

It's ok they didn’t deliver in time. This EVENT IS BIG ENOUGH!

Final images of the build will finally be uploaded soon. We'll be taking a break as we head off for our family Holiday .

It's time for Connor to relax and enjoy the rest of his school break, I'm heading back to college in September too , So from here it's just a case of keeping this thread and our facebook noticed.

Till next time :)