1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: Chemical Overdose 17-08: In stores now ;)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by _ferry_, 6 May 2004.

1. Goblin Tinkerer

Goblin Tinkerer What's a Dremel?

Doesnt matter, this is defanatly an original.
    I actually got my rusty idea from warhamer 40k and the old wasteland game.
    Ok and Piloux inspired me to even try modding my comp but still.

2. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

green = awesome
    goo = awesome
    me = in awe.

3. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

well, like Goblin Tinkerer said. IMHO it doesn't realy mather. Because there are more mods who have some thinks the same, like lian li's with an lowed case for wather cooling under it, or antec/chieftec cases with an bondo'ed or lightned front.
    And i don't care about it :D
    well, when í saw piloux his mod i was 100% shure it should get rusty, i've once before brainstormed about it, in my current workstation is also a bit in machine/heavy style, with a rusty fanhole. When i was bulding it i had some more ideas witch metal and stuff but they didn't came out on that mod.
    So lets say i've already been thinkingh on it, but the beatifull case of piloux made me do it. :D

Someone wrote about how i going to finish the CDrom drive. Well i'm not 100% shure, but i'm thinking about making a bezel fram a sheet of metal with UV plexi beyoind it, and some ponails, like the triangle on the top. I could also make a hole like the top where the drive is mounted beyond, but i like it stealth :naughty:

4. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

an idea would be to make a stealthing bezel out of your UV green plastic and a thin piece of metal over that, then swap the CD led out with a UV one so the edges of the drive glow when the CD is reading/active

5. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Awesome looking! :rock: Very original I do so myself. Good work with the UV stuff, Looks great.

6. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

update

Did some small things the past few days:

[​IMG]
    This is the cdrom bay, the one witch is mounted is dead, on the final one i will pop that metal witch is in top of it.

[​IMG]
    The cdrom bezel

[​IMG]
    i made 2 holes, 1 on the same size of the nails, the second 1 a little bit bigger. The popnail will fit into that hole, and after some flap-disk work the bezel is finished :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some dremel skills :rock: It took some time, but the result is good.
    Note that the space between the case and the metal sheet is too much, i will search for some pipe witch i can use as an spacer.

[​IMG]
    last but not least the 2 taps. I'm not using them for the watercooling. But they will be used :D

Now i had to find out witch hardware will be used (don't want a p3 667mhz in it :waah: ) but friday i will visit the pc-shop :D
    Also going to buy some new rust paint, because i ran out of it.
    At this moment i could use some hardware already, so i can figure out how much space i need and that kind of stuff. I made 1 mistake, the case is a little less than 15cm in height. and a ATX power supply is more than that :duh: So the idea is mounting it left, and push the mobo as much as possible to the right, the power supply will use some PCI slots then, but i don't care :hehe:

7. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

aren't you affraid that that fan will become practically useless if you let it blow straight onto a metal plate?

apart from that, nice mod! it's good to see that our country has some skillful players in this field :thumb:

8. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Not realy, there will be a papst mounted beyond it, and those doesn't give a lot of air. And there will be more casefans, so i think he's only powered when it's realy hot

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I love the unfinished look of the nameplate!! It really compliments the overall "chemically abused" theme of the mod. I think a lot of people would have tried to make a flat panel, but you went the extra step and left it warped and bent. Also, the Dremel work is quality, top notch!

This is looking really nice so far.

Maybe you could put a small hole in a random part of the case, and then put a metal "patch" over it. Add a little of the green ooze seeping through and it would make the case look even more damaged!

-monkey

edit: Looking back at the panel for a while, something just wasn't quite right. Then it hit me. I think you should have centered the words vertically a little more. As it is, they are a little too close to the screws, which detract from the quality dremel work ;)

Last edited: 1 Jun 2004
  10. Goblin Tinkerer

Goblin Tinkerer What's a Dremel?

More pics! More pics! Love the bent rusty panel. This thing is looking awsome thus far!!

11. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Awesome. Wow.. :jawdrop:

Damn you people are going to make me spend all my money on moddin supplies.. my boss will wonder where I've gone to.. only to find me using a dremel on the boring old office beige computers. :lol:

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Woah, where did THIS come from!? :eeek: Awesome job with the rusting crooked/warped bent metal! This looks as awesome as Orac 3 and BlackMesa HL2!

13. bjones247

bjones247 What's a Dremel?

Incredible.

Wow, great job. Can't wait to see the finished product. :thumb:

14. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

you're right, i didn't expect that the screws would come so close when i printed out the words and taped it on the metal. Well, glad that its not direct atached to the case, so i can do it again if i want to. 1 good thing about it, there is some place left for casebadges or something ;)
    Adding more text is also possible, might that looks better too.

15. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

This mod is simply the best excuse ever for me to rationalize getting a welder!!!!

;)

A truly inspiring piece of work. Youve really done a good job keeping the theme consistant, and making it so that you can upgrade it in the next year or so.

For your initial welding, what settings did you eventually get to to keep from melting the mesh work?

16. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

tnks :hip:
    I hope i can ugrade it soon :D at least moving my current system into it, beause the case is already looking better than my curent case.

I've welded the mesh onto te metal profile by using the lowest power and a low amount of added metal. Then try to hit it more at the heavy profile, not on the thin mesh, on this way the mesh will weld together very well.
    Trying first with some leftovers works very well :hehe:

17. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Very cool, thanks!

18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Love the name etching - looks great. (how did you do it? ruler?)

19. Spy246

Spy246 What's a Dremel?

great mod. One of the best mods i've seen actually.

20. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

tnks, first i printed it out, use some tape to get it on the metal, after that used the dremel with part 7144 picture
    First i did the shapes, after that remove the tape and paper, and filled up the remaining pieces.