1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:: CO2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Morphine, 28 Dec 2003.

1. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

I simply love those small boxes!
    Cant wait to see more, keep up the good work! :thumb:

2. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Isn't it "I love it when a plan comes together" as said many times by the aftermentioned hanibal?

Getting the negative voltage for the sed 133x series of controllers is not easy, by a long shot. I happened to have a powersupply hanging around that put out -15v for my lcd, but you may not be so lucky.

How much current does it require? If it's only a little, a 7915 may do it.

3. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

o thats right didnt noticei wrote play lol

4. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

That's a small box...you sure you want to OC in a box that small? I know you'll have watercooling, but it is still such a small space.

5. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Painting has begun!

Well here it is after 2 coats of base coat for the Duplicolor mirage paint. I still have another coat or possibly two to go. I am laying the paint down extremely thing to keep it from collecting on the concave curves on the case. By the end of the week the painting should be nearly done, or at least I will be applying the clear coat by that time.

Keep in mind that the base coat is a flat black color and that the final color will be a very glossy black and silver mirage. mmmm.... i can't wait!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Feb 2004
  6. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Parts update

My controller for the LCD arrived today, but it still isnt much use without a negative voltage to drive the screen. I've been sort of lazy and havent been out looking around for that lately.

The red and mirrored plexi glass, extruded rods, and various other plastic parts should be arriving this weeks.

7. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

*droool* man i am Sooooo jealous. to quote Independence Day "I have GOT to get me one of these" seriously, that case has file server written all over it. and where would be a good place to find a used one of those things? can't wait to see the final paint job on that.

8. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

ebay my good man. Just do a search for SGI O2

9. QuickOrbit

QuickOrbit What's a Dremel?

How in the world did you do that carbon fiber look? I would love some information on it. That is absolutely beautiful. Amazing Work! Can't wait to see what is next. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

10. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Well, I'm too poor for the real thing (though I am sving and do have plans for a CF case) so its a vinyl print. I used a hair dryer to heat the vinyl so that it would shape itself to the curves of the parts I was putting it on. You need to be especially careful with airbubles, because if you lift the decal up, it will stretch and distort the print.

11. QuickOrbit

QuickOrbit What's a Dremel?

i have a new Dell Inspiron laptop and I am really not a fan of the blue color Dell thought would be trendy. I would love to make it look like carbon fiber. Anywho, I would love some detailed information on where you got that, how durable it is, and how you did it.

12. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

The vinyl itself isnt very durable. it can gouge and scratch if something sharp touches it. But if you sprayed a few coats of clear coat ontop of it, it would have a nice layer of armor.

I bought my stuff in an 8 foot rool off of this guy on ebay. He has many more auctions and buy it now options for this stuff. http://stores.ebay.com/id=40224099

13. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Very swank man, that case is going to look very very good. Any thoughts on the watercooling you plan on implementing in there? Where is everything going, etc?

14. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Instead of a normal sized CD ROM I will be using a laptop DVD/CDRW drive. This will let me also squeze the heatercore up into the top of the case.

15. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Man that thing is sexy. :thumb:

16. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

nice save... :hehe:

I've seen cooling systems for cars that use liquid CO2 sprayed on the engine to cool it (making it work better) maybe you could wire a setup like that to save your computer if it gets too hot, shut down and spray automatically, you could use a temp. sensitive circuit on your CPU. :naughty:

17. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

lol, I don't know if carying a tank of CO2 around with the caase would be very feasible. But, maybe a shower system built into the cooling loop.....

lol, i coul just see me sitting their playing a game, the comp hard locks, the alarm goes off and water starts pouring out of the bottom of the PC.

18. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Update

The painting is done. Well, at least I'm done applyign paint to the case. I now have to wait 48 hours until I can use some rubbing compound on the clear coat to smooth it out. then I will need to wax the shell to get it all nice and shiny again.

My mirrored plexiglass arrived today, along with the rods I will need.

19. Altron

Altron Minimodder

For the -10v

OPTION A: None but the bravest will try this
    You could take a 20v line.

Code:
    20v----------------------------- 10v
                |        |      
              cap  resistor
                |        |
                 ---------------------- GND
                 |       |
              cap resistor
                 |      |
    GND---------------------------- -10v

I think the cap can be any value (more capatance = mor epower, i'd say go for at least 1000uf, or as high as you can afford/fit) and I think the resistor is 10k. Not sure if it works though.

The one labelled "GND" on the left is virtual ground, which is actually at 10v.

Voltage is relative. By grounding to 10v instead of 0v you turn the PSU from 20v and GND to 10v, GND, and -10v.

But run this through with some of the electronics guys first, i'm not sure if it will work. I saw it in an electronics book (except the book used a different voltage, but it should work with 20v)

Be sure to test it with a multimeter first, because I don't know if it works. (Sorry if I sound redundant)

As an even better idea, ask someone else first ebcause I don't know if it works.

OPTION B: For a brave but tactful lord

Put the ground for the -10v line into the 5v line from psu, then put the -5v from the psu into the -10v on the LCD.

OPTION C: For the faint of heart

Using an appropriate electronic component to take -12v from PSU and make it into -10v.

OPTION D: For a bed-wetting pansy

Buy a -10v power supply.

20. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

if i'm not mistaken CO2 tanks all have the same threads on the tanks. that means a paintball tank would work on it (just don't use one with a regulator) you can buy 12 gram CO2 (the itsy-bitsy tanks that fit in air-pistol mag wells) adaptors. the little setup might fit in your case, and it would be funny to goose someone with freezing cold gas while they're playing you. :naughty: