1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Project code name - Time.Sync. End name The Hellcat.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 9 Sep 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nope, god bless X79 and X99. You just screw the block into the mobo, job done :)

Which is a good thing, given the copious amounts of crap I am going to have hidden behind there lol.

2. Vault-Tec

Another order placed. This time I got three Alchemy SATA cables (as they are the only braided ones I know of) in black. I have one in red already, so it's going to be a very small splash of red.

[​IMG]

Some RGB extension cables.

[​IMG]

Bolts (6mm long M6)

[​IMG]

M6 nuts

[​IMG]

And an intake fan for the bottom chamber. I am going to have to move the Alienware daughter board because the nuts from the wheels will get in the way. I am putting the fan in there (it's 80mm) just to draw some air over the boards that will be in there.

[​IMG]

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

-Posts his nuts. :lol:

Dr. Coin likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

The floor LCD is now finished, with a bezel.

[​IMG]

It also has 3mm of clear plexi over it.

I had a bit of an engineering fail yesterday that bummed me out really bad. I spent ages drilling holes for the wheels and putting them in the only places I could, just for it to tip over when done :( there is nothing I can do to fix that, so I will need to make some feet.

Today I made the holes for the pump and countersunk them.

[​IMG]

And then fitted the pump to where it will live.

[​IMG]

Do note - I am going to fit the IO to the side of it, and put a plug in the top (maybe that pressure release valve, if it fits there.

Will be taking some time off now and will come back to it when I have rested.

5. Vognen

Vognen Member

Man I love me some old school modding with files, dremels and brush paint. I have a soft spot for the old Alienware cases, just like you, so I can't wait to see what you make of this

Vault-Tec likes this.
  6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

IF it is tipping over I am guessing the feet are too close together. As you cannot change the mounting locations on the case perhaps you could mount the wheels to a plate with enough spacing to prevent tipping and mount the plate to the case using the holes you initially was using for the wheels.

7. Vault-Tec

I could have done. They were OK when not facing inward, but of course as soon as you turn the case they face inward and over it went. I can't take a risk like that, especially once it is full of water.

I think I am going to get these, and then rivet them on.

[​IMG]

That will get around the problem of needing to put nuts on bolts etc. The only weight they should have on them is standing weight, so rivets would be fine. I just need it so I can get a dolly in underneath it in case I ever have to move house. I thought about riveting on the wheels, but 8mm mounting holes and all sorts of stresses convinced me otherwise. I may make a frame that holds the case (with the wheels on) we'll see. I have such a stressful week (for an ASD) coming up that I literally can't think straight at the moment. I will get that out of the way, then come back with a clear (and hopefully more relaxed) head.

8. Cheapskate

Dr Coin beat me to it. I was going to say you needed some wide legs to mount the wheels on.

9. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

Option 2 add outriggers.

10. Vault-Tec

Just ordered another pile of stuff. Ranging from the 60mm feet to another Hubby 7. As well as a HDMI socket cable thing and some USB external to internal, so I can power the clock and screen.

Should hopefully be waiting for me at mum's the day I come back. Or I will have to stick around and have them redelivered all on the same day.

11. Vault-Tec

Quick update (no pics).

Ordered even more stuff and got a big job out of the way. Well, it was going to be a big job (getting a clean HDMI out onto the rig) but turned out to be a lot easier. I did have to remove the entire back piece of acrylic but I found a old CM hole that prevented me having to cut the case. It had been worrying me all week, turns out it took less than an hour. I did have to cut the acrylic a little but I am dead chuffed with the end result. There can now be a short HDMI loop cable coming out of the GPU straight into the screen on the back of the case :) I will get some pics in a bit.

I also added to my AC gear yet another notch with the "Farbwerk" RGB controller. It is addressable through Aquasuite which is nice. More importantly it allows me to control brightness, unlike a "mechanical" controller.

Off for my flu jab in a bit, will get some pics when I return. I also need to do some drilling of metal today and cut a recess in the pump plate to allow cables to pass through.

12. Vault-Tec

OK so I now have a rear mounted HDMI port for the screen.

[​IMG]

I was a little concerned about it breaking the clean look, but once the GPU goes in you can't see it.

[​IMG]

Also ordered a Farbwerk.

[​IMG]

Lots of goodies arrived whilst I was away, including this...

[​IMG]

Cloth tape. Adhesive backed. I can not tell you how many times I have tried to source that in the past and come up empty handed. There is no way I can braid the Alienware loom, so at least I can wrap it. It will look a million times better than large clumps of multi coloured wiring.

In fact I was so happy with it I just ordered another roll for Justin..

13. DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤

DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤ Well-Known Member

Justin case :) top bloke!

Always wanted to try a Farbwerk :)

14. Vault-Tec

Let's jack it up 60mm.

[​IMG]

You can see where this is going....

[​IMG]

Perfect template. Screw it on, drill out all of the holes and.

[​IMG]

We have lift off !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah Justin is always helpful. So is Tom (orrow) :D

_Prometheus_ likes this.
  15. Vault-Tec

Quick mock up. Very happy indeed.

[​IMG]

16. Vault-Tec

Time (lol) to build the clock. It arrived (what I thought was -) in one piece.

[​IMG]

Started soldering, went well..

[​IMG]

And back side finished.

[​IMG]

Now this thing is a sandwich, so basically if you miss a component and solder the digits on you are effed. Totally effed. I didn't miss anything, apart from putting one component where I thought it would go but didn't. No biggy, desoldered it and moved it..

Then came time to fit the segs. Only, one of the segs had 4 legs missing :( I ended up having to take the seg itself apart (seriously) and god must have been on my side, 'cause the legs were inside the housing. I soldered them in (properly) and....

[​IMG]

And the acid test, time for power..

[​IMG]

Wait, let's just put a filter over that..

[​IMG]

OK do note there is a dot lit on the seg that I needed to repair. It is on the same circuit as the dot on the left digits. This is because when I put the PCB back into the housing I did it wrong. It's perfectly safe (it just does exactly what the other one does) so I am going to cut a small black dot of vinyl and put that over it, so you can't see it.

Other than that? yeah, I am pretty happy. Will go about making the shell in a bit.

Edit - DOH !

Doh, what a wally. Both of those dots are supposed to do exactly what they are doing. Time is displayed like this - 13:45 or whatever.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2018
  17. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Done. Gosh that casing was fiddly stuff !

18. Vault-Tec

God dammit I don't even like RGB FFS

[​IMG]

So I bought four of these.

[​IMG]

As you do, FFS. I made sure they were the correct type for me (ignore Aura Sync that is 3 pin...)

[​IMG]

Darn good thing I got this now

[​IMG]

Got a feeling I am gonna need it.

19. Cheapskate

I hope you don't have to solder the memory together too. :D

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

:)

SOLDER ALL THE THINGS!