1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Project code name - Time.Sync. End name The Hellcat.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 9 Sep 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I can access the rings through the Farbwerk. Though I still don't exactly understand what "addressable" is if the 12v ones are not. Can you shed light on that for me?

2. Vault-Tec

Ugh, didn't go bed til 3am lol. Even when I was in bed I got up again to hunt through the wardrobe for cables. I found some too hahaha.

So as I said I sorted out the clock. Basically what I did was cut the hole to the exact OD of the clock, then pull some masking tape tight across the front, lay the clock in it (level with the front) then bead glue it down the sides from behind. Then I just cut a nice clean black edging to sit under the mirror (if I ever get a reply on that ffs)

[​IMG]

Most of the front is now done, including wrapping all of the wiring for it. Somehow I missed it.

[​IMG]

It turned out that this was broken. I wondered why the flap had been staying down. A spring had pulled through the plastic that was supposed to support it so I had to take it off of the vents, take it all apart, plastic weld back the plastic that had cracked and then cut a slither of supporting plastic from black acrylic and weld that on. Leave it an hour to sit, then put it all back together.

[​IMG]

But it is working better than ever now. Wrapped the wires for that panel too.

[​IMG]

Then modified the hard drive carriers to be benign so that I can use two drives in one (remember, all SSD no spinners) I may have also done an absolute crap load of wiring too.

[​IMG]

Fitted the rear fan, with one of my custom BP decals. I like it.

[​IMG]

OK then I hit a snag. This was around 11:30 last night. When looking closely at the SATA run (the only one with the PSU) I noticed one of the plastic housings on the plug was broken. I did manage to fix it using an old SATA plug I bought, but it doesn't work 100% as it is ever so slightly different. So at midnight I went through a box of wiring, found a SATA run, grabbed those pins and plugs that arrived with the PSU and set to work. As you can see (there's one hanging over the side in black) I have now made one. I also found another in the wardrobe @ 3am lmao. I will get onto that later, though I feel like I have been hit by a truck today. I also need to trim some of the case panel away (the very front one) as it's stopping the pump sitting properly.

3. kim

kim hardware addict

Even if it still looks blurry for me to imagine the final result, regarding the amount of work, your attention to details with each part of it, and all troubles and issues involved with the redesigning of that great case, it should be wonderful in the end, and I 've got to hand it to you

4. Vault-Tec

Yeah you really need to know the case inside out to imagine how it will look finished. Like for example once that top panel goes back on 90% of the stuff that looks terrible right now vanishes. Problem is that because I changed how the case works I have to fit the rad first, then the roof. And I need to fit the front rad to fit the front back on. So it will literally all come together right at the same time, the end lol.

However, I did flush out the new new rad last night. That is now drying on the radiator, which thankfully needs to be on any way (bloody cold here ATM, about 7 IIRC). Problem is then I realised that you can't fit the top before the front as it sorta wraps into the front. And I can't fit the front yet because I need some custom parts made to hold the res and fans on. Doh lol ! that is what you call a catch 22 :D

5. Vault-Tec

More "werk".

[​IMG]

Which was sent to a stencil then taken to the Dremel. Et Voila !

[​IMG]

Note to self, when stuffing as much electronics into a build as you can it gets a bit tight.. Not only does the Farbwerk have to live there but so will the PA-3 and Splitty 9 (for the pump and fans etc).

[​IMG]

Yes, it's very very dusty. I only stripped it all out about 2 months back, but cutting acylic is a sod. So it will need to be cleaned when removed. But yes, those two will live next to the Farbwerk. Hardly ideal, but then neither is putting them both in the side panel only to realise it won't close.

Confucious say man with 14 USB ports has a lot of USB.

[​IMG]

I have only one more to run (to the PA-3) and hopefully that is all of them. It all goes back to a single USB that will go into the mobo.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Man with 14 USB ports suffers 10 minute-boot waiting for Win media player to finish diddling his stick drives.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

It's mainly internal stuff. There are 2 double USB connectors for the front panel (so four) then a connector that runs to the Alienware board with two more on it, then the Farbwerk, The PA-3 and two internal to external USBs to power up the screen and the clock. I have disconnected the data lines from those, as the touch screen doesn't play nice with Win10. So I only need to power them up with the PC.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Oct 2018
  8. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Just means that instead of the ring lighting the one colour you can individually address each LED a different colour and timing.

9. Vault-Tec

Ahhhhhh I see !

And here was me thinking controllable colour was posh :D

That sounds great in theory but in practice I'll probably play with it for 5 mins then never touch it again.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Quick mock up. Now I was certain this would all fit (even with a PSU 20mm longer that I am not using) but it's always a bit windy lol.

[​IMG]

Seems to fit OK. I do need to be mindful of what I am stuffing underneath it, though.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the fan extensions and SATA cables are going to my mother's house, as I forgot to change the delivery address back. Mind you, there is lots I can do before that. I have also ordered a whole load of bolts from Ebay and my pal is making me the stand offs I need. So yeah, won't be done this week. Not that I would want it to really. I would rather have time to think about my next move, rather than just rushing through it. I know I am probably going to need some shorter RGB extensions too.

Oh, and if I didn't say it already I officially hate RGB connectors. 4 very thin pins, what could go wrong?

11. Vault-Tec

12. Vault-Tec

Fanny alert.

[​IMG]

13. Vault-Tec

Bolts arrived and roof rad is fitted. Just playing with the LEDs.. I love the way the BP logos change colour with the light.

14. Vault-Tec

Techy moment..

So basically I bought the frames, right.

[​IMG]

And I ran into a problem. I want to use this mount.

[​IMG]

But because the frame has a ring protruding out and countersunk screws I could not just bolt it on. So I ask my pal with a lathe to make me some acrylic posts that fit into the frame, yet come out so I can space the res holder off of the frame.

He tried to make them earlier, but something went wrong. I said "Don't worry man there is no rush" which is not really like me. I am an impatient phallus.

So then I was poking round on Google trying to find something out about my USB hubs and I saw this pic.

[​IMG]

Hmm, no, surely?

I don't recall getting anything like that, so I dug out the AC boxes (they are all the same ffs lol) and went through them. Sure enough sitting under the manual I had ignored was a baggy with those parts in. Will they work?

[​IMG]

Seriously, that s**t never happens. So happy :D

15. Vault-Tec

Quick status update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the other side.

[​IMG]

Needing parts now so won't get those 'til the weekend. Has been a good week for modding though :)

Ignore the upside down Bitspower logo. There was nothing I could do about it, and besides it gets fully covered by the top.

16. Vault-Tec

Quick update. I am going to need a rig for when I am doing the final part of the build. I have an old board that apparently works, and I've ordered a Pentium for it (Ivy). That will then become a server/NAS. I need the CPU and cooler, then I can begin the strip out of the Triad.

I also needed more cabling (now got) to finish wiring up the fans and then the hard drives. I will probably get back to work on Monday..

Any way, in the mean time I got this.

[​IMG]

Basically the PA3 works great, but the way I have it set up everything gets the same voltage. So that means even if my fans are silent at 12v I need to run them at 7 if I want to run the pump at 7. So I decided to get that ^ as it was on special for £29. Delivered.

At that price I have no qualms about just literally using it alone to run the pump separately.

I'm also waiting on the laser cut acrylic I ordered so I can finish and fit the front panel. Hopefully that (or a red "we missed you" note) will be waiting for me when I get home.

17. Vault-Tec

Got home last night thinking I would be met with either some goodies or red cards from the post office. Nada.

[​IMG]

About all I can do for today is make up two molex runs.. They were splitter runs but I had a think earlier and the SATA runs (well, two of them) are molex - SATA. I did not want to overload the single molex run I had with splitters so I took the pins and connectors that came with the PSU and made two more red runs up.

Oh, and tested them obs (hence the meter there).

That's about all I can do today, aside from making the pump cover which I will crack on with later no doubt.

18. Vault-Tec

Crappy photo alert..

[​IMG]

Tis the pump cover.

[​IMG]

Apologies for poor pics, it is literally dark ffs.

19. Vault-Tec

I haz live testbed !

[​IMG]

Enormous thanks to Cenedd (G) for donating it after mine was DOA.

Now I need to test a few things and get them bios updated before moving on with the build.

20. Mopsi

Mopsi What's a Dremel?

Looking great so far.