1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Project code name - Time.Sync. End name The Hellcat.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 9 Sep 2018.

1. _Prometheus_

_Prometheus_ Minimodder

Hot dresser?
    hot-dresser.jpg

Defyant Mods likes this.
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

hahaha no I purposely put it like that so it would make a racket so I would know when I had dropped the voltage ;)

Right update time. So after playing with the test bed and testing the Aquaero (it tested out lovely, doesn't look used at all) I moved the test bed into the case. Why? well basically there is so much going on in there that I started to worry about it. Like, so much wiring, so many connections and wire paths etc. I wanted to make sure my wiring was sound before I went any further, so in the test bed goes.

[​IMG]

First signs were good. RGB (via the Farbwerk, not connected to USB yet) was alive and so was the case panels. I breathed a big sigh of relief when it started cycling colours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're half way there.. Next I connected the single USB wire to the mobo. Now if I have done my job properly everything should connect once that is installed as it runs to two hubs.

[​IMG]

OK so I tested the case USBs (working) the SATA power (working obs) and everything else. Played with the Farbwerk and then moved onto the ACC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also tested the screen power cable etc. It wasn't doing anything before, turns out the Hubbys do not output power until they receive a signal from the board. That was really playing hard on my mind, but it all works as it should.

*PHEW*.

Next thing to do is order a 120gb SSD and clone the OS over, before fitting the test bed into the Triad build. Once that is done and I have a PC I can then start building into the new build next week. I am going to take the weekend off, as too much of it fries my brain (it's just been wiring after wiring after wiring). The only few jobs I have left to do are make a panel to mount the AE on (which I have tested and know is working 100% also, another weight off) and then fit the PA3 and splitty and wire up all of the fans. Which also need to be tested, and then labelled so I know exactly what channel they are on.

I found out earlier they are 1900RPM and man, they do hum some air out. So there is absolutely no chance I am running them all at full steam.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

OK so this is the bit where it all becomes a bit "super car". I will explain what I mean by that. Basically supercars now are made of a mono structure and stuck together so that you can't really do much if they break. Well my AE is going to be the same. If you look at the Farbwerk board here (the small white one) you will see where it resides.

[​IMG]

Now the idea here is to stick the AE exactly opposite. The problem is that whilst I can easily get it in there I will have to do so by touch. Once it is stuck in it will be inaccessible. So what to do? well, basically glue on cables and then label them. So whilst there will be no way to see it or get to it I can still connect/remove things from it. I am going to glue on the extensions so that they do not get pulled out accidentally (because like I said no way to see the sockets or access them*) and do it that way. Out of sight etc.

So the first job today was making a mounting panel. I won't bore you with all the details.

[​IMG]

So that was that done. Next step draw up labels and make some blanks for anything else I want to label.

[​IMG]

All about as interesting as watching paint dry, but alas must be done. I have nearly finished that now.

[​IMG]

OK, so I know I said I was only going to use it for the pump. But the thing is the 92mm rear fan and 80mm fan I will be hoping to fit to cool the boards and electronics will not have the same profile when it comes to voltage and noise to voltage. They may need to be driven harder or softer. So the idea now is to use the PA3 to control all 4 of the 120mm fans, and then the AE will be in charge of the pump, 92mm rear fan and 80mm floor fan.

I am going to apply glue later (it's like wet hot glue and can be removed if I wish) and then leave that to set.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Not just a pump cable but the extra special !PUMP! cable.

Like the analogy, don't like the plan. I have have installed inaccessible (and incredibly awkward) components in the past and have regretted it every single time. Something always came up that required me to work on the super car item.

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Front bottom. Tee hee!

6. Vault-Tec

Them's the breaks sadly. The whole thing needs to go together in a specific order. Like for example just getting the bottom of the rig in requires taking out the PCI HDMI bracket, putting the floor in, putting back the bracket, fitting the pump and etc. Once the mobo goes in? you can't access anything under the floor. That is modding a case vs basically making your own. It requires serious thinking and working out....

The connectors are colour coded so I know what is supposed to go where. Like what channels etc. It all makes sense to me.

Sam - that seriously never crossed my mind lol. But I will think of that and smile now every time I see it :D

7. Vault-Tec

Plastic finally arrived. In totally the wrong size, and using an offcut with a clear line through the mirror.

[​IMG]

Yes I am annoyed. Very. However it has taken so long (two weeks) that I really can't stall the front any more. So I did the best I could.

[​IMG]

And spent about half an hour sanding the bottom to make it fit. It will have to do. I do need to block the light from behind, though, as it becomes a little too transparent.

[​IMG]

I am happy enough with it, I guess. I really can't get all bummed out about it because that will spiral and I will just bail on it.

Let's hope the soldering and etc goes a little better.

8. Vault-Tec

The front panel is finished. Sorry about the pics, the storms of the past couple of days have left a lovely salty haze all over my windows lol. All of the wiring is done and everything is set in. So it's literally ready to fit.

[​IMG]

And I have stripped out the triad, cleaned all of the parts that came out and turned it into a server.

[​IMG]

ph33r my benchmark smasher !

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Dr. Coin is spot on again. (borrowing English phrases? I've been on Bit too long!) I guess there's no way to make an access panel in the base, though.

10. Vault-Tec

Nope. It's all solid down there and there are panels over it. It wasn't designed to be used like this tbh. So long as the connectors stay on long enough for me to connect up what I need to that will be fine. This won't be a tinker rig because to even get to it you need to remove all of the watercooling and the motherboard. So other than flushing the coolant now and then that is about it. I was thinking of maybe making a small panel with some connectors in it (so like an extended panel with the sockets on) but there isn't much point to that other than vanity. And even then it's just something else that needs to be stuffed into the bottom (lmao).

Today I cleaned the res and got all of the water spots off. That's about enough for me. Yesterday it was 8am-10pm so I wanted a day off. The good news is that I am 90% ready to start the final push. I just need to soak the fittings in some vinegar and then clean and dry. Basically there's like an oily residue that I think has come about from the coolant "splitting". I think it has some sort of oil in it, possibly for the cooling part IDK (XSPC EC6). It wasn't noticeable until I removed it all, so tbh it wasn't really a huge deal. Not with the coolant being clear. Then again it has been in there like that for nearly a year, so it was probably due a flush any way. BTW just had a thought, I may be able to see that AE quite easily with a mirror of some sort. Probably like a dentist mirror. Like I say though, once the three things going into it are hooked up that's that.

What I am having a dilemma with, however, is what fittings to use. White.

[​IMG]

Or as I originally planned, red.

[​IMG]

Whilst I like the idea of adding a splash of colour the greys and blacks have made me like it in the monotone sense, so in which case white would look better, right? I dunno, just another conundrum to solve before I start.

Oh, and I don't have the nuts and bolts to put on the res to the bracket, so will need to vernier that and order some.

11. Vault-Tec

Problem with not being able to see the AE sorted.

[​IMG]

Ended up costing me £1.45 lmao. It'll work, too :D

12. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Plus you can do your own dentistry too.

13. Vault-Tec

haha yeah I just need to mutate and grow an extra arm :D

Edit. I got this earlier.

[​IMG]

Basically I have been brain storming, trying to come up with a way to get the temp probe into the loop. I figured I would put it in the bottom of the res, but the bottom of the res only has one outlet. I can't put it in the top, as it would not make contact with the coolant. So, I decided to get that ^ as it allows me to pass through, like hnyarr.

[​IMG]

So I will install it into the pump inlet, turn it backward (it's rotary) and then feed the temp probe into it. It's probably about the most elegant solution I could come up with, without drilling any holes and tapping into the res. Obviously I could have installed it into one of the faces of the hex flow meter, but that would have looked like backside.

I know, it's only a fitting.. Try and remember this build is all done from my own pocket.

That is probably why it will take so long tbh.

The rad is now all cleaned and should be dry when I get home. So I can begin the build once I am confident I have enough fittings and so on. I may need to order a couple of posh stop plugs, but I need to check what I have first. The only other pieces I could have used are either chrome T fitting or black chrome. Neither would have fitted in very well at all.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2018
    Defyant Mods likes this.
  14. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I like the idea for the temp probe , the old days with rubber tubing made it so much easier

Vault-Tec likes this.
  15. Vault-Tec

Yeah I don't remember if I mentioned anything but I think I am going to stick to hose on this build and not try and get hard line into it as well. IDK, we will see when it comes time to loop it.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

OK am back. Feel better. Bit anxious, but then I am trying to finish the build in my head in ten minutes and that isn't going to happen. Had a bit of a mishap earlier which did its level best to bum me out, but I pulled myself through.

Basically I was upgrading the RAM and finishing up the Triad for server duties (fitting all of the PCIE covers, you know boring s**t). Any way, I thought "Let me just release the right side panel so I can run this fan extension off to a molex" and then it slid and I heard this sickening crunch. Looked over, it had landed on one of my cherished valve amps. It shattered the acrylic valve guard before smooshing the valve. The valve had come out, and the legs were badly bent. Instead of smashing things up (like I normally would) I had a wave of calm come over me. I sat and bent all of the valve legs back, pushed it back in and amp works fine. Big phew, glad it didn't die. Seems valves are far more robust than I ever gave them credit for.

OK so today I began by dipping and soaking all of the fittings in straight white vinegar. Then I rinsed them off with cold water, then I dried them all. It took ages, it stunk, and it wasn't very pleasant. And that has been the build for a while really. Nothing I've done has been fun for ages and it has all been spade work due to my over complicated design.

However, I got there eventually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just turn it 90' counter clockwise in your mind and you will know how it should look. I can't bolt it into the PC yet as I need access before hand. So it will need to go in second to last (just before the front panel, which will cover access to the screws).

Like I say, all has to be done in order. And that has been the biggest challenge. Whilst that assembly looks pretty basic there are literally mms in it. Like bolt length so nothing fouls etc. Very happy with it, finally something I designed can be seen.

Next up? more wiring. At least it's given me a positive kick in the ass, though.

17. Vault-Tec

After a marathon wiring session I have gotten a whole crap load done.

[​IMG]

Apols for horrid photos, had to resort to flash (ahhhhh, he saved every one of us !)

[​IMG]

It's getting just a little busy down there.. I have now glued all of the connectors to the AE, so that can go in tomorrow. I then need 3 more fan extension cables, but I ordered those on Saturday so they should be here Weds.

[​IMG]

18. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

It took a minute for me to realise that these two pictures weren't of the same side. I was thinking those are impressive before after shoots... Then I realised I it was left and right sides... worse it is even labelled (at least the louvres are).

19. Vault-Tec

Haha I began the removal of the labels. I also fitted the vanity panels as well. I had a moment of sheer panic when I realised I had lost the mobo standoffs but thankfully I found some more. Right size too.

Tomorrow I need to clean the mobo, fit the block and RGB ram coolers and get it ready. It's mainly a whole chunk of wiring, oh goody.

I can't fit the pump or the AE as I am waiting on more extensions but there's plenty left to do.

It looks so different with the vanity panels on. Will get some pics tomorrow if it's not dark all day :D

20. Vault-Tec

Back out of bed at 2am. Ended up downing tools at 3:30. The vanity panels are now fitted and man, what a difference it makes. All of the silver now disappears leaving only black.

[​IMG]

Apols about pic. As I suspected it's quite dark today, with only white light (very cloudy).

Time to test its faculties.

Yup, seems like they are all there :)

Do excuse the fan noise. Obviously they are running at full pelt now and man, do they shift some air. I can't address that until the PC is smart and no longer dumb.