1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Cold lava~A custom WC'ing project -1st Oct- The cursed log part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bad_cancer, 17 Dec 2009.

1. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Nice reservoir man! You dont have to worry if it isnt perfect, in my opinion its the creation that counts and all these things you learn through it, so keep your head up high and mod on man!! :)

2. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Thanks man. I will continue modding. :D

I'm better at cutting holes in stuff than at building up acrylic containers :p

Anyway, loads of stuff happening round my place, but im getting some work done on the mod.
    Slow and steady wins the race huh? :D

3. Bad_cancer

Testing the Pump/Res

After listening to the advice above, i decided to test the res/pump.

I dyed the water to make it easier to track leaks.

[​IMG]

Set up some loops and let it spin:

[​IMG]

Well the good news was that there were no leaks, so I let it spin for a bit.

That’s when I started to hear a clanking noise. I checked everywhere and couldn’t figure it out.
    After some investigation, I finally figured that the impeller on the big pump was the source of my troubles. :sigh:

I took the thing apart and it appears Mankz’s fears were confirmed. A lack of space to the inlet caused the water flow to be weird and the impeller didn’t like it much. :eeek:

I took the pump apart, nothing wrong, no damage…that’s a relief. :hehe:

I reassembled the pump and it worked properly with no weird noises. Looks like I’m going to have to file the inlet down a bit (there is about 3-4mm that I can shave off).
    Well I wasn’t entirely satisfied with the assembly anyway, so this is a chance to correct that.

And btw i really like this picture: :blush:

[​IMG]

That’s all for now!
    See ya next time!

4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Wow looking awesome! i love the rad

inspires me to try make my own waterblock, res and other kind of rad to start wcing :)

5. Bad_cancer

Thanks DeadP1xels. It takes some courage but it is a thrilling experience to do your own watercooling :D

6. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

have fixed many a faring ... mainly cos i have fell off every bike i have owned. Invested in some Mushrooms (super dupa titanium bla bla types) on last ride... Saved me fixing the faring .. the handlebar set up and tank was another matter though.

7. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thats super duper wow mate!!

[​IMG]

And thats beautiful indeed!! Mod on! You see? Now move the inlet or now that you ve learned you can take your time and build another one which it will be better in my opinion instead of filing and messing with it again. And post some pictures so we can do it also, like I cut this acrylic, I glued it there etc! Mod on again!!! Peace! :)

8. DeadP1xels

Sorry second post but looked over it again

That dye looks so nice in there is that the colour you plan to use in the end?

The last shot looks so refreshing (if that makes sense :D)

:thumb:

9. Bad_cancer

Funnily enough i don't have trouble with tank and handlebar setups, just fairing :D (no broken bones either)
    I'm lucky that way i guess.

Lol, i filed the inlet down and reconnected the pipes, but a bit longer, i've been testing it for a while now (It seems fine), and working on the chassis at the same time. I'm trying to save the most money i can on this mod, so im probably going to be messing around some more :blush: . specially cause the res is 100% watertight (up to now).

I actually had a friend cut that out on a cnc. I just glued the part together with acryfix and being careful to keep the edges aligned properly, then sealed with silicon.

Thanks for the comments. Always nice to see you on my log, and everyone else of course!

Haha yes it does make sense. It kinda looks like cold lime jelly (does that make sense?).

And no i'm not using that color for two reasons:

1) I'm going for orange in that loop, have already ordered and received it too.

liquid utopia UV bright orange

2) That's actually food coloring and it does NOT look that nice. Thats just the effect of the flash through the water. the real color is like this:

[​IMG]

Which is not so nice... :(

:edit:

Damn, just noticed the foot in the shot :wallbash:
    Ahh well, i guess all i need now is blood and a cat in the pics. :sigh:

10. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

i still like the green :p though it doesn't really fit the words 'Cold Lave'

11. GuyInTulsa

GuyInTulsa Dremel Molester

Geat modding. Very nice use of unconventional parts.

12. DeadP1xels

:wallbash: "Lava" That makes sense Lol

I think its going to look pretty darn cool looking forward to some updates on this :thumb:

13. Bad_cancer

:D to each his own my good man, to each his own...

Thanks! :D

Haha, no worries, I sometimes get idiot moments too. Specially at night after a hard day's work. :worried:
    Thanks for the kind words.

So just a quick drop in to explain the lack of updates.

As it turns out, my friend is having CNC software issues (I really am unlucky :sigh:)
    So i'm waiting for him to sort it out before i can continue...
    I'm working on a little thermostat circuit to control the peltiers. (Nothing really exciting)
    But all i can really do is just wait this out...

So ill post as soon as i can. I just hope that it will be reasonably soon.

14. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Sweet project Bad_cancer! I agree with cheaps, this is "hardcore modding" :thumb:

15. Bad_cancer

Thanks bill, that means a lot coming from you :D

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I gotta throw some warnings at you about your pumps. Submersible aquarium pumps are bad about the wire sleeving breaking near where it goes into the body. It doesn't effect the pump, but it means water can get into the sleeving. For safety, you should have the wire go lower than your power connector somewhere. -Like a sink drain P-trap/U-bend.

-And again... I try to explain something, and it comes out gibberish.:D

17. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

basically, don't wire the pump in such a way that water can follow the wire to the source of power?

18. Bad_cancer

Okay i get it yes. I'll be careful. I'll make double sure to waterproof the whole thing, ill see if i can make a trap for the wires too. Although i might end up putting the power circuit above the water level. I'll take a look.
    Thanks for the heads-up cheaps:rock: (and for the translation stonesurd :naughty:)

19. Bad_cancer

Well here I am back from the dead for an update.

After what seemed like years, I just received the plastic from my friend. (geez took his sweet time didn't he?)

Again I was unlucky, after waiting all this time for my plastic, he phones up and says that his 3mm bit is broken :sigh:
    I'd waited long enough!! So I told him to just cut the blocks out and ill drill the holes myself...

Acrylic tops

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit rough but a little elbow grease will do wonders here.

[​IMG]

This is a failed prototype that he cut out wrong.
    Instead of cutting out the holes for the barbs, he instead routed around them.
    It looks kinda cool. but now im going to have to do this by myself :sigh:

B****ing copper!

I was also going to send my copper to my friend to be cut out, but I couldn't stand to have to wait all this time again. So my poor fabricating skills will have to suffice. :wallbash:

[​IMG]

Here is the copper I will be using It may look rough but this is high quality 5mm bus bar. Merlin Gerin if im not mistaken. Best thing is I got it for free :D

I also have this sweet 270mm x 80mm x 10mm block (same high quality bus bar) that I got for less than 10$. (8$ by today's exchange rates).

[​IMG]

Right...So lets start at the edge then, closest I can get to the holes. I clamped it down and stuck on my template with water based glue.

[​IMG]

While that was drying, I drilled ou the holes in the plastic top:

[​IMG]

Now it was time to move on to

Cutting the copper

WOW, copper is an absolute bitch to cut!
    The real problem (ironically) is that it is so soft!
    The blade gets caught, it is almost impossible to file and it is a great heat transmitter, great for water blocks, but not so great when you are cutting it and holding on to it at the same time!
    Shaping it is also really difficult if you are using anything else than sanding paper.

Sooo, some cutting and a lot of swearing later, I had the basic shape laid out and the bolt holes drilled out.

Now my initial plan was to have the copper block slotted or routed out. But that option was out, so I had to use the tools at hand...namely a drill and some dremel attachements.

Just drilling some holes should be enough to create turbulence and help with the heat transfer.

I poured some oil over it to make penetrating it easier. :worried:

[​IMG]

all oiled up... :p

And finally after some work with the dremel, sanding paper and grinder:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too bad I must say, these two are the cpu base and a gpu base.
    They are not perfect, but I think they aren't too shabby.

For the gpu block I used a smaller drill, and it went deeper a lot faster. (Maybe due to the oil I dunno :p)
    Some of the holes might create water pockets, but it should be okay.

I think the cpu base turned out quite reasonable:

[​IMG]

And a little shot that I liked a lot:

[​IMG]

They aren't finished yet, I still have to tap those holes with a bit of oil :worried: , finish and polish the tops, bolt them together with gasket silicone and lap the bases.

Thats not counting the fact that I have one more gpu base and one base for the peltiers too. :D

Well thats all for now folks. Hopefully I cant get back on track with this project that is taking miles too long :duh:

Until next time!

Last edited: 30 Apr 2010
  20. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Man thats some waterblock pr0n!! Really! "I poured some oil over it to make penetrating it easier" . LoL :p

Very very nice job mate I really like that you are not afraid to try new things! Mod on brother! :)