1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project : CompletelyFanless

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by 12modderz, 15 Mar 2009.

1. 12modderz

12modderz L33T еÐ3!

Alas, the worlds worst project name ever.
    Until I can think of a better one It stays as that....

Anyways, I was given an old Socket 7 AMD 300mhz win98 rig a few weeks ago by a mate and i put it into use the other week by installing a wirless nic and an ethernet nic ( 2 actually). (one crossover cable going to pc, other going to my 360)
    My vista pc wouldn't play ball with the ICS and the 360, so this PC works remarbly with it.

IT did originally run Windows 98 but I removed it and quickly installed Windows 2000, ableit slower it is more compatible with stuff and doesn't crash much. Haven't had BSOD yet!

Now the problem with is that it is as noisy as hell, especially the hdd.

What I plan to do is:

Make the system completely fanless

Install a CF to IDE card and use a 2-8gb cf card in it as the HDD, (therefore silent and probably faster).

Upgrade the ram to about 256mb (try using firefox 3 yeah, takes half an hour to start and then the hdd goes crazy as it has to use the page file... jeesh its noisy when it does that)

Change the PSU to a fanless one (the mobo has both at and atx power sockets which is a big bonus :-D.

Make a new case for it - smaller etc. (make it out of wood?
    )
    Tim

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Needs pics to be a project log! Otherwise it's being moved to modding

3. 12modderz

12modderz L33T еÐ3!

May as well have it moved to modding for now then:duh: sorry.:thumb: