1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Cool PC Mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Halgy3000, 9 Jun 2005.

1. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Hooray, my first mod! :rock:

The basis of this mod is to incorporate a small mini-fridge into my computer case, probably just enough for two cans. Hopefully, I will be able to pull this off so the fridge can't be seen from the outside. I'll also be doing an otherwise normal case mod with a window and cool paint job. However, if I have the time and money, I want to make a custom fan/light controller, an iPod dock in a 3.5" floppy bay, and hopefully a PS1 LCD somewhere.

BTW: I need to put up my new postulate "The supply of batterys is inversely proportional to the need for said batteries". I swear I found 6 packs of Ds and AAAs, but no AAs. Stupid battery eating camera. Therefore, I'll have to hold off on the pictures for awhile.

If you have any ideas or insights just post or shoot me a PM. I'll have my pictures up tomorrow so you can perhaps get an idea of what I am blabbering about.

PEACE

Last edited: 12 Jun 2005
  2. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Some Pics

Oh, I finally got PhotoBucket working, so I will post up the 5 pics I got before my camera died. Here are the unfortunate targets of my modding madness until I get done or get frustrated and throw a temper tantrem and quit.

[​IMG]
    Sidways shot of case

[​IMG]
    Front shot of case

[​IMG]
    Insides of case

[​IMG]
    Fridge, door closed

[​IMG]
    Fridge, door open.

These will give everyone a bit of and idea of what I'm working with. Again, when I get more batterys I'll post up what I'm trying to do in more detail.

PEACE

Last edited: 9 Jun 2005
  3. BIOHAZART.RU

BIOHAZART.RU What's a Dremel?

good idea, i think =)

4. jasonmason

jasonmason What's a Dremel?

Sounds cool. So your going to rip this fridge apart and make it smaller? thats what I understood.

5. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

JIMINY JILIKERS RADIOACTIVE MAN! Please re-size those pics, imagine the poor 56kers :p

retro

6. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Sorry, I didn't have the software to do it last night and I was too lazy to do it manually.

Anyhow, I finally picked up my first supplies!
    [​IMG]

With these I should be able to get somthing done for awhile. And by awhile I mean for tonight. Stupid caffine addiciton.

I finally got some good shots of what I'm trying to do, so here goes nothing.

[​IMG]
    This is a shot of the back of the mini-fridge opened up. Basicly, what I'm going to do is take out that radiator looking thing,the little cooler below it, and use that to cool a custom compartment that I will make later.

[​IMG]
    Here is a shot of the front bezel. I want to put the fridge behind the gray part, which opens up.

[​IMG]
    I'll put some hidges at the top there so I can use it as a top-oppening door. I'll also have to find a way to insulate it without making it hard to open. But the basic idea is to have the front looking stock so no one can tell that there is anything behind it.

[​IMG]
    Behind the bezel is this. The ramped scribbles are where I am going to cut opening for the micro-fridge. It's just big enough for two cans.

[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of inside the case where the acutall fridge will be located. The box on the left is the area that the cans will take up. I'm not sure what I'm going to use for the insalation and such yet (possibly that expanding foam you can buy in a can). The cooling equipment will go either above or behind the conpartment proper.

Now that I have a sort-of plan I'll start on the actual constuction tonight.

PEACE

7. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

Hidden Door for Mini-Fridge

So let me get this right… You’re going to incorporate the mini-fridge by making the front gateway Logo lid in the front, the door for the fridge. (like the picture below)

I think I got that right? Anyway it turns out is should be cool, I always wanted to do a project like this, so good luck and I hope it turns out good…
    [​IMG]

8. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

Dude, this will be awsome, a computer that contains cooled beer! :p sweet!

good luck :D

Retro

PS: glad the pics are better sizes now :D

9. The Lost Monk

The Lost Monk What's a Dremel?

that is so cool, i want to do that with mine now

10. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

Or soda.......

11. inzane86

inzane86 engineer with an axe

I'm kinda shure there is a peltier behind that cooler.

12. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Yes, that is basicly right. Hopefully I'll get it going soon so I can actually SHOW you.

YES! I knew what it was, but I couldn't remember what it was called. Thanks.

Until later...

PEACE

Last edited: 10 Jun 2005
  13. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

This mod is gonna kick ass if u pull it off, there is a few similiar mods i have seen on other forums where they've tried and made it look really good (sorry cant find any URL's) there was one where they had made the actual fridge fold out of the case on a touch of a button it was made in a full server size case though :D

will be watching closely to see how u get on.

good luck :)

14. bengaskell

bengaskell Banned

Cool but wont it produce a hell of alot of heat? It's a fridge, they do that. Or have I missed that your putting an extractor type thing in their somewhere?

BG

15. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

your case is going to get extremly hot, mini fridges out put quite alot of heat useually through the top or out the back...

16. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Indeed. The easiest way to handle this issue is to install a 120mm blowhole on the sidepanel, then create a half-n-half ducting system. That is, half the fan's output goes through the sink and pelt area, out the other side of the case, while the other half goes through an angled vent to blow cool air up onto the videocard, southbridge, northbridge, the cpu and a bit of the memory.

17. Timmee

Timmee What's a Dremel?

What about water-cooling the mini-fridges pelt?

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

i just thought of a second problem.

Fridges are not 'always on' - menaing they are not constantly cooling, they only cool when the temprature inside rises afew degrees, then they turn on to remove the excess heat and once the temprature is at the designated level again they stop functioning.

This is why most fridge mods or pcs in fridges etc have all failed.

As a source of contant heat in or around a fridge courses it to work all the time and it simply cant handle it and burns out.

Having your fridge in your hot pc case will most likely case something similar, and kill the fridge fairly quickly.

19. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

as long as the air draws from the front, it'll be fine.

I thought of this a while back - in fact, im doing an entire 'fridge' themed mod but have some tool set backs so have stopped for now. However, he who does it first, can claim first rights ;) nice work.

20. r00t69

r00t69 What's a Dremel?

lol, interesting idea. Maybe you can incorporate the fridge into helping cool the system :thumb: