1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Coolermaster ATC-S4000 SX-1 - 11 November

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by J-Pepper, 22 Sep 2005.

1. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

links fixed.. so some reason, my ftp app didn't upload them even though it said it did!?!

Nice tip frodo, these things cost a bomb from Maplin but I don't regularly visit the tip so I guess maplin is the next best thing :p

And the front panel, some of it was born out of neccessity but some of it was influenced :D
    I had only 5 free bays and 3 of them were taken (Plextor and Aquadrive duals) and I wanted to fit an Aquabay with an aquatube (2 bays) and an Aquaero (1 bay) and also have room for some switches (reset, power, DVD eject and lighting)... so obviously there wasn't enough room.. so I decided I have to make a new one to be able to fit it all in... and the first thing that popped into my head was the best front panel i'd seen on a mod...Goliath! Clean lines and simple, so I decided on something simple... why cut holes into it unless it's really necessary.. so the only holes are the Aquatube for filling water, buttons and the DVD slot.. ideally I wanted to hide the Aquaero buttons.. but I wasn't sure if they were needed or not (I haven't actually bought one yet!) and thought it was best safe than sorry and left the holes for them. :dremel:

2. J0d3r

J0d3r What's a Dremel?

You are doing a nice job :), congratz

3. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Not a real update.. just some more photos:

Front cut up:

[​IMG]

How it looks with first panel in place:

[​IMG]

Oh... and with information from Shonuff and TN, I've decided to drill out my flow meter... no pics of the before shot though! :( I never seem to think that far ahead to take photos before I do stuff :/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really, what I should have done is test the loop with the flow manager before the mod and then test it again after the mod... but being me, i didn't think that far ahead!

4. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Thanks man...

A tiny tiny tiny update... following information from TN and Shonuff et al, I've drilled out the outlet of the AC flow meter with a 6mm drill.

Now both inlets and outlets are of equal size diametre holes... this should improve flow rates.. but I can't test until I get the rest of my cooling bits.

5. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

major sweet!

looks so damn good! keep it up :)

i like the way youve hidden the ide cable :) might have to do something a bit like that in my project

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Looking great mate :)

7. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Just ordered a Samsung spinpoint 250GB too!

And i'll be ordering a new radiator next week to replace my damaged one and also be getting an Aquaero next week too... this thing is a money trap.. but anything for perfection and the way I want it.. o_O

Oh yeah... hopefully, I can pick up my RMA'd 7800GT tomorrow too... delays all week mean I haven't been able to pick it up sooner.

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Mines also turning into a money trap mate, your not alone ;)
    Few more bits for mine, and I end up spending another £150~ :/

9. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

A little warning and rant...

be careful with overclockers.co.uk

The HDD I ordered... well it came in this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes.. you saw it correctly and no.. nothing is missing.

A £100 hard drive was sent in a small jiffy bag.. no bigger than the drive itself and no other form of protection... not even a "fragile contents" label/marking on the bag.

The worst thing is that the postie signed for it himself and was going to post it through our letter box... our letter box is at waist height and out floor is tiled! O_O

This is very very wrong... every other HDD i have ever bought have all come in packages (not bags) and have had foam surrounding it... seem that overclockers.co.uk thinks that a jiffy bag is sufficient protection.

I think that's the last time we ever visit that place...

10. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

CHRIST!!

have you tested the drive??....i hope it aint DOA!!!....everytime i order from them they send it to me in a box!..isnt the HDD box the same size as a optical drive box??...couldnt they used one of those??

i'd be on the email's to them matey!...even if the drive works! its principal that it should be in a sufficiant protection in delivery of good which it was clearly NOT!.

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I've had exactly the same packing from Overclockers, only I ordered mobo etc, so it was boxed in with other bits lucky for me.
    Honestly though, are they trying to get people to send them back? :/

12. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Even though my wife isn't into modding she says the computer looks amazing but your carpet is scary. BTW do you cut your acrylic by hand? It's a very neat job you've done.

13. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Can't test the drive yet as I don't have a working system as i'm still waiting for bits to get a working water cooling system... so i'm not sure.
    I've sent an email off to them asking for a reason why they sent a HDD in a jiffy bag... but it should only be a short while until I can power the system up.

This isn't the first time i've had bad experience with ocuk... (all but one) but I always give them the benefit of the doubt, but packing a HDD in a jiffy bag is just plain negligence and i'm never shopping there again.

@ Ralph.pickering.. Haha :lol: ... that was a real lol moment! The carpet wasn't my choice; well that's my excuse anyway!
    Thanks for the positive comments and i'm glad your wife likes the mod... i see she is a woman of good taste :D
    The acrylic was cut either with a jigsaw for the simple lines or at a local laser cutting shop for the complicated parts that needed millimeter accuracy.

14. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Another tiny update... not much modding done really.

Finally made a start on modding my PSU to make it the wire more manageable.

I added 90-deg SATA power adapters to the ends of the cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also recieved my MIPS mosfet block from a nice chap in the US.. arrived by DHL, prompt and quick :D

Some bling bling shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's it for thus 'update'.. (I said it was a tiny update!)

My secondary cooling is coming together nicely now.. still wanting to switch to 11.2/8mm tygon and compression but my sponsor hasn't got them all in stock yet, so i'm going to test plumb it all with normal 8/6mm PUR tubing.

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Nice waterblock! :brrr:

16. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

the level of detail of there water bits is simply SICK!!....man...when i go A64 its all about water

17. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

You won't regret it mate :D

18. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Those blocks are really cool.. now-a-days, it's much easier to water cool.. not like the days where you have to make your own blocks (if you have the equipment too)... it's much more convenient to buy nice ones now :D

19. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Where did you get that awesome MOSFET cooler? Is it custom built? :D

20. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Nope.. the Mosfet block is a cooler from a german company called MIPS..

But i got mine 2nd hand from a nice guy in the states. :D