1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project : CopperHead: 6/4/09 Orange:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 27 Jul 2008.

1. fstfrddy

fstfrddy Blocksmith

Hi, It's me, Fstfrddy Stinger, Glad to be part of this project. I see the new i7 mounts fit well. I will post up more when I get my satellite back up and running. After like a million phone calls to Skyway USA they are finally sending my new dish. Accessing graphics rich content is a drag on dial-up. Unfortunately there is no cable, no DSL, no nuthi'n out here in the boonies of central NY. we do have plenty of snow though. Still waiting for that global warming to kick in.
    Hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread a bit, I'd like to show you guys the pelt block I did recently for one of our soldiers serving in the middle east.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 31 Jan 2009
  2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Glad to see you finally surfaced Fred. Your work is amazing, keep up the excellent work.

3. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Happy to see you here, Fred!
    Good looking blocks, you're the master of the polishing :)

A little question for MS...
    In this picture :
    how do you have joined the heat spreader with the little capacitor?
    Thermattach?

4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Sweet, looks beautiful next to that "copper forest":)

5. The boy 4rm oz

Mino those heat sinks (Enzotech) come with thermal tape attached to their base (like the Swiftech ones). I can't remember but I think MS used a thermal paste instead?

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

1st welcome to BT!
    2nd. I'm jealous - you have your own satellite:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
    3rd. Just most excellent work. high marks for workmanship all around.

john

7. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Thermal epoxy from Arctic Silver

@fstfrddy: hijacking-thread... You have to be joking Fred.. You truly made my day by posting-up. And that you consider yourself a part of this project puts a even-larger smile on my face..:blush:
    Great work on the prototype X58 chipset block.. Thanks for your quick email response on the other "cooper-work" I requested.. Sorry, guys.. No details on that "copper-work" at this point in time.. BUT, rest-assured.. It's a very-cool-idea. I don't want to "jump the gun" and promise XYZ before I am sure it's possible..
    Now Fred.. expand your waterblock-line, we (the people) need..
    MOSFET and videocard waterblocks... :thumb:
    Thanks for posting Fred..:D
    MS

8. fstfrddy

fstfrddy Blocksmith

Yeah, I launched it myself with my homemade rocket LOL, I can see I have to be more carefull when I choose my wording around here.

9. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

I've found the epoxy, tnx a lot , MS!

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Welcome to BitTech, fstfrddy!:clap:

11. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I know how you feel, our phone lines where i live are from the 70's and with dial up i onlyy get about a 30kbs connection, how is satellite treating you? I've been debating on it, my only other option is to beg for a second line and do 2 modems.

12. fstfrddy

fstfrddy Blocksmith

I hate to get off topic on someone elses thread but here goes; I put Skyway in last march and all was well. it is a one way system meaning download is by satellite and upload through phone. It is the only system that you can do a self install with. I pay for 512k but speed is not guaranteed but it's way better than dial-up. Problem is, Skyway never told me they were moving to a different satellite. In Jan AMC4 was turned off and now they are on AMC15 which I cannot lock onto. Thay have been promising a new bigger dish since November. After countless phone calls which never get through I finally got someone with a brain. I finally got a tracking number 2 days ago. I hope the new dish works. If you have any other option besides satellite go that way, at $50 a month for 512k- it is expensive, plus no online gaming or VOIP and download limits.

13. modsquad

A few more pictures for you guys to check out..
    [​IMG]
    the northbridge block FIN, but not yet polished
    [​IMG]
    the mini-stinger !! Is that cool or what.. :thumb: it's pictured in Fred's hand. I can not wait until it's in mine...
    also another prototype Stinger is working on for me..
    check this out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    you guys know what it is, right?
    Fred is a "big bore" watercooling kind of guy. The clamp ( a test-run) is a bit to massive for my "small-bore" 7/16OD (11mm) tubing (IMHO).. I have asked him to miniaturize it a little for this project.

fstfrddy your a true pleasure to work with.. It's so unique to have real feedback in the design of this stuff. I honestly feel very-privileged..

Have a great day gentleman..
    MS

Last edited: 3 Feb 2009
  14. The boy 4rm oz

Another very nice block. Those tube holders are amazing, they look very nice in copper.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I havent seen hose clamps like that since Nexxo's modding days!

16. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

In copper :eeek: that will be nice block :thumb:

17. alpha_prime

alpha_prime What's a Dremel?

the cpu/NB combo will look great!:thumb:

I was wondering: are you going to use just the one radiator? How will that cope with the cpu/gpu/nb? I know you don't really care about about overclocking or extremely low temps, but I'm not really convinced of the cooling capacity. Don't get me wrong, I love your setup (I personally don't like the look of dual/triple radiators slammed somewhere on a case), i'm just curious.

mod on :dremel:

18. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Those tube clamps looks better than the automotive ones, and in copper are sooo sexy!
    Good idea, MS, and good machinery, fstfrddy!

19. modsquad

I have been thinking about that myself. Although it should be no-problem. From what I've read, since the memory controller is on the Core i7 CPU, the X58 northbridge runs super-cool.. No need to watercool it at all (except for eye-candy)..
    I need to stick with a single 120mm radiator..
    I have been thinking about upgrading to a Black Ice® GTX Gen Two Xtreme 120
    the "run down" is HERE
    Not chrome, but a better performing unit than the one I have ( old Black Ice)..
    Fred was kind enough to send me a picture of the FIN X58 chip-stinger:

[​IMG]

does that look sexy, or what.. He really pulled off the "mini V6i stinger" look I asked for..
    Three of those copper clamps are in the works as well.
    I need to make backing plates for both the V6i stinger (cpu) and the chip-stinger (northbridge).. For mounting hardware I have some EK WaterBlocks bolts/nuts/springs that I will be using. They are nice-thick-heavy-duty stuff..

I don't like EK's thumb-nuts, ordering new ones from McMaster-Carr along with a sheet of Silicone Rubber Film for the backing plates..
    I should have that stuff by the weekend. I am "stoked" to setup the stingers.. :thumb:
    MS

Last edited: 4 Feb 2009
  20. The boy 4rm oz

The finished block looks awesome, a clone of the real Stinger.

The BlackIce GTX is a very good radiator, I have one, performs very well.

Tags: