1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Covert - Adam's Story (Text update 20/12)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Adam, 26 Nov 2002.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Thanks for the advice about the plexi guys.

I've been having terrible trouble with my rad today. In trying to fix the leak, I've actually made it worse. I'm trying a new tactic now but it's going to take a while to dry.

The watercooling system is now going completely internal as was originally planned. So far I've fitted the exhaust fan for my rad with rubber gromets and a spiral grill. The rad itself is going to go in the 3.5" bay, above my floppy mod (read up).

I've also fitted a new reservoir from wizarddesigns.co.uk (great service btw). This was just the simple task of widening the top blowhole and removing the grate.

Please note, watercooling a Coolermaster case and using an AquaTube res is "Icecube"'s idea and I have totally ripped off his idea. Any credit/kudos/whatever for the idea should go to him.

Pic so far..

[​IMG]

Rad permitting, I should be finishing the watercooling setup tomorrow, and also doing the window.

2. mashie

mashie The one and only

LOL! Yeah whatever :rolleyes:

Looks good, I hope you get the rad working soon.

3. George

George Bah

adam, i did not say i thought of the 'original' idea of it.

im just saying you would never have done this if i wasnt.

as i dont have a cam anymore, and i am getting a new one at Christmas, you have got to show it off first. So there will be nothing special about the project i have worked on for so long, alot of thought has gone into my project and you will get full credit for that.

im not arguing on the forums anyway, its extremely childish.

thanks,

.icecube

4. Adam

Adam New Member

Ok WHO'S stolen my case logos? Last time I checked my case had ATCS on the front as well as USB inside on the USB cover. Was it you icecube?:nono:

5. Adam

Adam New Member

It feels like I haven't updated in ages! I thought I had fixed my rad yesterday, so I eagerly rebuilt the system with the rad inside. It was fine for about 10 minutes, but then the sealant gave way and I quickly shoved it into a bucket.

Here's a picture of my l33t bucket cooling...

[​IMG]

Before that disaster I had been contemplating whether or not to fit an optical drive. I decided to put one in, mainly to rest my pump on. I ended up fitting an old, badly painted (not by me ;)) Samsung DVD just to see what it would look like. I was quite pleased with the result so I think it may be a permanent fixture until I can think of something slightly more original to do with it, a spare faceplate, and some of that huge sheet of plexi.

[​IMG]

Just one more picture for now - the machine I'm having to use while my box is out of action. The sacrifices I make for modding :sigh:

[​IMG]

p120, 64mb ram, 4.3gb Fujitsu, 1mb Video Ph34r the power!!!

Things aren't looking too bleak though, I've sourced a much better heater matrix from a Granada Scorpio on eBay which should be here by the middle of next week (hopefully).

6. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Looking good Adam. Keep going with it. :clap:

7. kong

kong cnc-guy

Total internal cooling = Dogs bullocks.
    Bong = Dogs ****e!

Seriously, good work so far. That new res is superb! Can't wait for more pics.
    Oh yeah, that's a cute PC world P120 mate!

8. Adam

Adam New Member

Thanks mate. Thanks also for the loan of the Artic epoxy, it played an integral part in my project. I posted it back today.

:rock:

9. kong

kong cnc-guy

I am hoping you used it for fixing heatsinks to hot stuff, and not for fixing leaky rads?!:eyebrow:

10. Adam

Adam New Member

Lol why didn't I think of that? No it was in place of zip ties to attach the waterblock to the PSU (don't worry I was very sparing seeing as it wasn't mine ;)).

11. Adam

Adam New Member

Well there's some good news and some bad news...

Good news: The Granada heater matrix arrived yesterday and is now installed. The system is rigged up and working, and I'm getting 45 degrees full load (running setid). The PSU is ice cold, but the case a little warm so I'll probably be watercooling the NB sometime soon.

Have I achieved total silence? Well the answer is..... not quite. It would be silent if it wasn't for the YsTech. Even at 5v it seems to make some sort of grinding noise, which is only relieved by whacking it upto 12v which sounds something akin to the noise of two deltas! It is literally the only thing in the system making ANY noise now, so when I replace it with a silent papst the project will have achieved its primary goal.

What have I got in store next? Well, borrowing GOO's idea of using OHP transparencies, there will be a rather interesting window and also some sort of optical drive stealth.

Oops, almost forgot the bad news so without further ado..

Bad news: My digicam (or maybe just the lead) has kicked the bucket, and therefore there aren't any beauty shots for now. I'm going to try to get hold of a new cable for it, so don't worry there will be pics soon for those of you who are interested.

I hope you've enjoyed my take on the "silent pc", it will hopefully be the first of many.

:rock:

12. kong

kong cnc-guy

Just wondering if you water cooled the psu? I've been reading Bladerunners howto over at zero fan zone, but it just scares the hell out of me!

13. George

George Bah

yea, he did.

he used a maze 2 and epoxied it to the psus sink. :)

.icecube

14. kong

kong cnc-guy

OMG, Adam already told me that in reply to another question! Guess I'm tired? Or drunk!

15. George

George Bah

hehe.... ;)

:jawdrop:

.icecube

16. Adam

Adam New Member

Bladerunners method is actually far superior to mine, I just didn't fancy having to extend all of the mosfet wires so as it was only a cheap PSU I took the risk of doing it this way.

Btw, all being well the pics should be up tomorrow.

17. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

You're supposed to sandwich it between two boards of wood before you cut with a jigsaw. Also, If you don't score deep enough and don't suppose the plexi EVENLY it will shatter or break uneven.

18. PillPu$her

PillPu$her New Member

Header tank

Does anyone know where to get those header tanks in the US?

Great project...keep it coming!