1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Project CryoPC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Datulab, 20 Feb 2021.

1. Datulab

Datulab Human? AI? Robot?

In case anyone is curious how to best 3d print large parts, I also made a video showing how I went about designing the shell of this PC for 3d printing:

2. Datulab

Finally easter break! Time to hide from the family in the basement and get some serious progress on this build!

In the meantime, I just released a video detailing my adventures of making the distro plate. If you're a machinist, maybe sit down for this one:grin:

Cheapskate likes this.
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

From what I saw, Your peck on the drilling is too aggressive. I'm doing about 1mm each peck, and no dwell, so the bit backs out immediately.
    I see you noticed the air was not doing it's job too. :lol:
    Also, switch to decaf.

4. Datulab

I was using full retracts, just to be sure the chips clear and I'm not creating a melted blob. I'll try 1mm next time, dwelling is already off.
    And don't you dare take my coffee away from me! :grr:

5. Datulab

Back from the workshop now, all done! But you'll have to wait a little longer for the finished glam shots, as there is quite a bit of progress to share first. Thanks to the university giving us 10 days off over easter, I really had time to get some serious work done. Feels good to have more than one day a week to spend on this:lol:
    Enough rambling, here we go:
    I started off by taking my old PC apart, meaning that I absolutely had to finish this now, otherwise I'd be without a computer.
    Seeing the state of this IO cover that I printed out of PLA 2 years ago, I'm a bit worried about the heat resistance of this case, but hopefully, with enough airflow, it'll be fine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next challenger was that my mobo wants 8+4 for the CPU, while my extensions kit only includes a single 8pin. Thankfully the PSU (1000W BeQuiet something) has two 8pins, and the extensions kit has plenty of spare PCI-E extensions...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up, hard drives! I designed this HDD module with space on either side of the drives for some foam dampening, to hopefully keep the vibrations in check. So I used some foam between the drives and the mount and a foam 'washer' with the screws. You can also see here that I first installed the NZXT hue plus, as I had it leftover from an old project and wanted to use the strips. I later found out that the JRainbow headers on my mobo are also electrically compatible, and with two wires swapped, the connector even fits. So I gladly got rid of the extra cable mess that an additional controller meant. In retrospect, I should have probably just stuck with the NZXT controller, but I'll get to that later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luckily I did a quick test of the LED strips before I continued on, as one of the strips had one LED partially dead. Quick fix now, but would have been a pain later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Having lot's of space is a luxury, but stuff is like a gas, it just fills the entire space you give it, no matter how large:lol:
    [​IMG]

Turns out that while in CAD it seemed like there is lot's of room for cables now, in reality, it is quite cramped. So some strategic cable management was required to get everything to fit. In total it took me almost a day to cablemanage everything, but it fit in the end, so that's good.
    Also don't worry about those SATA cables, the nails are not pinching them, just gently guiding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also added some metal braces to the PSU to support it's weight a bit better.
    [​IMG]

While cable managing, I also at some point realized that it might be smart to have some sort of power button. For some reason that just completely slipped my mind :lol:
    Nothing fancy here, just a small button in a spot that is fairly easy to reach once mounted on the wall.
    [​IMG]

And with that, this post is already getting quite long, so I'll save the rest for another one.

6. Datulab

I was gonna space the updates out a bit more, but screw it, here we go again. Also, if you're really impatient, you can already find the completed build on builds.gg:grin:

With all the hardware in, the next item on the agenda was to do the final painting and weathering of everything. I debated for a while whether to leave the hardware pristine, but then with everything around weathered, it just looked out of place, so here we go:worried:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When it came time to mount the PSU, I decided to flip the way the fan goes on it. In CAD I was dead sure I wanted the fan to the inside, where it's not as much seen, but upon seeing the PSU again I really liked how it looks and wanted to show off the fan side. Of course, the carefully modeled holes now didn't line up anymore.
    [​IMG]

And with that, it was time to install the water cooling. Funny enough, compared to everything else in this build, bending and installing the tubes was about the fastest and easiest thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When you don't have a funnel, but more water cooling hardware:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After filling the loop for the first time (which was really easy thanks to the huge reservoir (thanks @Cheapskate)) the water turned quite orange, so I swapped it a few more times until it stayed clear. Probably just some gunk left in the radiator from the previous loop.
    [​IMG]

And here we go, EK CryoFuel is in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, you're probably thinking, with that I'm done and it's time to do the final pics. If only...
    Turns out the cap for the reservoir was not completely screwed on, just stuck, which meant coolant leaking out. Now as long as it's upright, it was fine, but I don't want to risk it. So I took a wrench and screwed it on all the way. A whole turn and a half were left! That half is what screws me over though! The 3d printed cap now no longer fits on, as the ports are not centered. After deliberating on many options, I decided to do some open-heart surgery:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One crisis averted, time for the next one. After working just fine in the evening, the next morning, after I changed some wiring for the LEDs, nothing happened anymore when pressing the power button. I checked everything, starting with the stupid and obvious, slowly getting more pissed off, moving on to manually jumpstarting the PSU, and measuring everything. All rails nominal. The only thing that wasn't was the 5V standby power. That explains nothing happening, but why would just that part stop working all of a sudden? I'll spare you the hour or so of banging my head against the wall, swearing at everything, and just show you. On the extension for the 24pin cable, one of the pins (the 5V standby pin) must have pushed itself out while connecting. However, at first, it still made contact and everything was fine. Then after gently (or not so gently) changing around the LED wires, it must have moved a bit more and disconnected. What a nightmare! Here is an exaggerated picture of what happened (in reality it was not visible by eye):
    [​IMG]

Also, in my last post, I mentioned that I should have just stuck with the Hue+ controller. Well as it turns out, the MSI software has two dozen different effects for the addressable LEDs, but doesn't let you set more than one static color at the same time for a strip. WHY!!! I can have a marquee going with multiple colors, and if I were to pause it, it's exactly what I want, but I can't do that as a static effect.
    The workaround was to connect one of the strips to a different header, so I can have the distro plate lit up in green, while the rest is red/white.

And to finish off, the actual last thing was to make the wall mounting system. I chose to go with a french cleat, which is easy to build and lets me mount a small board of wood to the wall and then just lift the PC on.
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate and Karrek like this.
  7. Cheapskate

All great! :thumb: No fire or flood.
    -Just make sure the mount is in a wall stud and you are perfect.

8. Datulab

Around here all walls are either brick or concrete, so no need to worry about studs:lol:

9. Datulab

And with that, this project is concluded. It was great fun, and I learned a ton, though I have to say, I'm also glad that it's finally done!
    So here you go, the final shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stickyvectors, 4LIEN, GregEl and 2 others like this.
  10. Cheapskate

I thought you would run all the plumbing through the bottom. This way probably works better. The rig came out awesome.

Datulab likes this.
  11. Datulab

Also uploaded the final video, in case you want to watch me work at hyperspeed:

GregEl likes this.
  12. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

This really did turn out AMAZING:rock::rock::rock: and you taught me a few new things along the way ! running a 9 printer print farm and looking to do a case mod on them myself one day, your vids will be a real help ty :thumb:

13. Datulab

Thanks! That is awesome to hear. Are you running a print service, or what does one need nine printers for? (asks the guy with 5:lol:)

Defyant Mods likes this.
  14. Cheapskate

"Sorry, Jr. You can't move back in. I turned your room into a 3d print/bitcoin mining farm."
    I guess it's better than a grow room, but where do you guys find the space? (asks the guy with 2 mills. :lol: )

Defyant Mods likes this.
  15. Datulab

The basement of the parent's house comes in handy :grin:

Defyant Mods likes this.
  16. dan297

dan297 Minimodder

Wicked.
    The whole set-up is just great :thumb:

Datulab likes this.
  17. Datulab

Thanks!

18. kim

kim hardware addict

:jawdrop: design and execution are just remarkable :clap:, it's totally original and awesome, a great modding session :dremel:... and probably the most incredible wall-pc ever :thumb:

Datulab and Defyant Mods like this.
  19. Datulab

Thank you! That is high praise, as there are many incredible projects out there.

20. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

A lot of work but the result is absolutely stunning, i love the details on it!

Datulab likes this.