1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Cubeleon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by brinkz0r, 8 Sep 2007.

1. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Incredible metal work brinkz0r. Subscribed. :)

Cyp.

2. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Update 12

Got some catching up to do, I posted this update a few weeks ago, but wasn't in the mood to translate it :eyebrow: I've spent some money on a new pc, and a bunch of new tools :)

Let's start with the motherboard, it's an Abit IB9. The board is a little weird, it always reboots after after two seconds, and it doesn't support IDE drives without installing a driver. But it works now :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, it only has one pci-e 16x slot, but that's more than enough for me. It has some 1x slots, for a future sound or raid card maybe. The backplate is a little empty, but at least the connectors on the mobo are placed really good. That's definately something I've selected possible motherboards on, this one has the atx connector on the edge, just as the sata connectors. Because IDE isn't supported from the start, a pata to sata converter was included:

[​IMG]

The cpu is a Core2Duo E4500, which was about 20 euros cheaper than the E4600, but I guess I can overclock this one to act as an E4600 at least :p

[​IMG]

A pair of 1gb banks of ddr memory, cas4. And it is SLI ready, sure :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

As gpu I chose a Powercolor HD3650, passively cooled. I really wanted to have a 3650, because it doesn't need a seperate power connector, which would be in plain view. I didn't really care what brand it was, so I got this one :p I may cool this one with water also, just because it looks good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case was built for 4 hard disks, so I had to fill up some space. I bought two identical 250gb Samsungs, with one platter (each:p). They should be quiet, but they rattle a lot, for example when you scroll at a page with a lot of pictures. One got defective after I installed windows, so that added a few days to the installation. I had to recover My Documents and stuff, but I think I've lost a few files. Also I planned to use raid0, but after a few hours of trying, I found out that the Abit IB9 doesn't support raid :wallbash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last part for the case is a sata dvd burner. I'm glad I didn't buy an IDE drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some new toys on the desk too. My 17" crt had to make place for a 22" TFT, which is use :p The curved Microsoft keyboard is new to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wallet still wasn't empty, so I finally bought a good jigsaw. I also ran into a nicely priced Dremel, to replace my el-cheapo dremel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The can came loaded with tools, of which I'll probably never use half of it :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final part for this update is a 1gb xD card for my camera. This one is a little sucky, because every time I want to upload the pics to my pc, the memory card becomes messed up and I have to format it :blah: Still have to find out why that is happening.

[​IMG]

I've got another update ready, I will translate that one this week. That's an update with some real progress :D

3. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

Great fabrication and execution. seems to be a very well thought out mod.
    /subscribed

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

This truly is an amazing mod. Keep up the fantastic work.

5. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Thanks a lot, both of you :) I hope you're ready for another update ;)

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

All p35 motherboards reboot ons start-up I think. I know my DFi does.

7. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Update 13

That's right, another one :) Last month wasn't a great month for modding, mostly because the steel parts need a lot of work. Too much work, if you're asking me :grr: Prepping and painting goes with just one at the time, because I don't have enough space to paint more at a time.
    The last part of my new PC arrived, my NZXT Zero. A full aluminium case with a lot of modding potential. Untill Cubeleon is finished, I will use this one.

[​IMG]

The case came with 7 (!!) fans, of which six were 120mm. Four of them are mounted in the side panel, I think they can keep my passively cooled gpu cool :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With my two project logs, I have won a nice price at the project log contest over at www.bouweenpc.nl, a dutch website. Two Noctua fans (which are on the market for about 20 euros each :rolleyes:) and some cooling paste. Thanks a lot guys :)

[​IMG]

On to the modding. The first welded part is bondoed and painted:

[​IMG]

Together with a piece of aluminium and a piece of plexi, it will become a window. It took a lot of filing to get this to fit this way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted, it looks like this :)

[​IMG]

I need to cut a hole in my case to make it a real window :p After a few minutes of cutting, and a lot more minutes of filing:

[​IMG]

The plexi doesn't need a snug fit, so it fits around the steel loosely:

[​IMG]

After placing the alu, and bolted together:

[​IMG]

I left this aluminium edge visible on purpose, because the contrast with the black looks really nice :) For now, it's sanded with rough sanding paper, but I may even polish these edges to make em really stand out ;)

[​IMG]

The plexi is visible on this one:

[​IMG]

One done, two to go. This is the second on, still in primer because I don't want to damage the paint. I did do that with the first one, so I'm repainting that one :( The filing process is always the same, so I saved you that part:

[​IMG]

And skip something again, second one mounted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A nice overview of the whole sidepanel, which is getting heavy by the way :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And how it will be mounted to the case. In the final result, you will see the motherboard and the radiator in the top window, and the shiny psu on the bottom one :)

[​IMG]

I'm really happy with the way it came out. It still needs a little work, but I've done a majority of the work on these. I'm really happy with that, I thought would never be finished. I'm looking forward to be making other parts :D

8. The boy 4rm oz

I love NZXT cases, you should be pleased with its performance. Fantastic work so far, keep it up.

9. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Update 14

For a long time, I have been thinking about a logo to put on my case. About a month ago, I saw a logo for a TV show and really like the way the letters were connected. I have designed the logo and created it in SolidWorks after that. In a few weeks, I will be working on the front of the case, so I would like some opinions before I cut it :)

This is the first one. Don't mind the holes on the top though, they're not part of the design :p

[​IMG]

The second one has a different "O", because I didn't want it to look that big. But it's still big:eyebrow:

[​IMG]

This is how it will look on the case. Now you can also see why the N has a crooked leg, it has to match the C. There will be some more stuff in between the logos. Some lines of parts in the back are visible on this one, they won't be in reality.

[​IMG]

Again with the different O, the complete front:

[​IMG]

At this pic, the front plate is see-through. You can see the divider plate that splits the case in two compartments. The holes in the logo will also be used to let fresh air into the upper compartment. To achieve this, I will place an offset plate made of black alu a few millimeters behind the logo. The air will go around the black plate and into the radiator compartment, but that won't be visibe from the front :) Haven't put those ideas in 3D, but you'll have to wait for the finished result to see that ;)

[​IMG]

For now I would like to see what you guys think of this logo on the front of my case. Should I continue with this, or do I need to adjust some of the letters? Any comment is appreciated :)

10. The boy 4rm oz

The second logo looks better.

11. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

seconded

12. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Sweet rig! I'd vote for the second design aswell :thumb:

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'd go for the first logo. The 'O' in the 2nd design does not match the shape of the 'C' or the 'N'. (or even the 'B'.) I think the design term is 'concordant'? -where something doesn't fit because it's similar, but lacks contrast, so it looks like a mistake.

14. Stip

Stip What's a Dremel?

I think the second one looks better. Although Cheapskate has a point when he states that it looks messed up, I still think the 'O' fits better than the matching one in the first logo. Perhaps the corners of the first 'O' are a bit too sharp for something that has to look like some sort of ellipse ;)

15. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Well, now you know what dilemma I'm facing, the first one matches the rest of the letters and the second one looks less weird because the edges aren't that sharp :blah: Still don't know what I have to go for. Thanks for the replies though :)

16. The boy 4rm oz

Break the mould, they don't all have to look the same do they? Do something different.

17. ichessblumen

ichessblumen What's a Dremel?

WOW, amazing metalwork mate. just read it through.

I'd prefer the first logo. It looks more harmonically.
    *subscribed*

18. Mrjudo

Mrjudo What's a Dremel?

First thing, I make my compliments for your case.
    Sorry if I ask you a stupid questions (for you): I would build a mod pc case using aluminium panels, which kind of tools i can use for cut and bend it?
    Thanks.

19. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

Thanks a lot. For cutting I use a jigsaw or a fretsaw. I prefer the latter for cutting the smallest pieces because it's very accurate and it's not a power tool. For bending I always have to improvise with blocks of wood and my own force or a hammer. I still have no space for a bending brake :hehe: I hope this will help you create your case, good luck :)

20. ModimusPrime

ModimusPrime The Dremelator

Awesome work brinkzor! In regards to the logo I would have to go with your take on it, I think the first one fits in batter with the other letters.