1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Deja - Wooden Lugable

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mr. Red, 31 Oct 2003.

1. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

haha nice mousepads :)

we had those too at the lan a few weeks ago in western michigan, and i'm still using mine :D [its pretty]

2. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

First off- I have to opologize agian for more delays. I wasnt able to upload my pics today. Hopefully tomarrow.

I think I might have the electronics part finished (for now anyway). I have been "testing" stability by playing Battlfield and UT2K4 Demo on it. So far no major problems. Really the only problem I have is the noise on the monitor. Thinking right now that it is power noise. But I can live with it.

Zap is right, there is almost NO space when all the wires are in. If I want to add anything else, I will have to get a smaller keyboard; however the idea of haveing to re-cut that wood for a new keyboard is not very tempting.

Good call Leadpipe! HALO uses the logo alot. If I remember correctly, they use it as the military logo for the UNSC, who the Master Chief reports to.

The mouse pad is from TXGF. AMD was demoing the 64-bit for FarCry in the booth.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

The pics are coming......

3. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

Battlefield..... :rock: WOOT :rock: ...whats your name up in there? do you play Desert Combat? Definitly want to play you sometime....

[EDIT] I just went back through your project log..and i realized that when you were testing the lcd, you were running battlefield...yet another :rock: WOOT :rock: ok, i am done with that. but nice man, you have AIM?

4. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

Looking mighty fine. The stain made a big change from the first time I saw thats case at the AMD Zone LAN just before TXGF. If you don't remember, I'm the dude that was sitting next to you with the ancient Gateway case.

Until I spotted this thread (and waited a good long time for the pics...damn you 56k), I had no idea how much work you put into that. Really, stand up job. I do have a suggestion and there is more than one way to accomlish it.

What you could do is simply cut a sheet of plexi and attach it to the back of the lid. Then you could us inserts to show logos or jsut anything. Further interesting would be to "plate" the whole case in such a fashion.

BTW, you gonna be at the Mar 27 LAN at LANS Edge?

5. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Part 6 - Better late than never.

Well, finaly some pics of the progress I have made over the last couple of months.

I started out with getting some parts cut for the front panel.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The right one is for a LCD display and activity lights, and the one on the right is for a keypad. It is hard to tell, but the buttons are made from plexi with wood glued on top.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The LCD is a 128x64 LED lit display. Below that is (from left to right) Keyboard status lights, Hard drive activity, CD-Rom activity, and LAN activity. The other side was houses the function keys for the computer. They include power (the big one), cd-rom eject, lighting on/off, front speaker power/volume, and monitor functions. I didnt get pics, but the buttons are glued to momentary switches that were soldered to a proto board. There must be 100 wires comming off the back of that thing! :D

The next thing I did was to mount all the electonics.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Got a sheet of aluminum and mounted the board and power supply. Then I made a bracket for my Cd-Rom and Hard drive.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I will work on gettin some more pics up tomarrow.

6. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

awsome...pic's!!! ok, so, my last question was not addressed.... :waah:

[EDIT] I just looked at the pics agin...did you burn the bottom left part of the lcd wood? it is black...

7. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Looks like a knot...

I really like the LCD and Keypad buttons!! Nice work, very cool mod!!

So, did you decide if you are going to Stain it (what color?) or Paint it?

8. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Sorry Cereal, I do not use AIM or any instant chat right now (long story). I log onto windows messenger once in a blue moon as hitekrednek. As far as the games, I go by Mr. Red or Mr. R3d for just about anything. Clan names would be Hammerheads or Death Spectrum.

JavaDog - yep, its a knot. I decided to stain it on the count that many people threatend to be discusted if i painted it! :hehe: I just got to find the pics of me stainin the thing. :wallbash:

LockmanX - Hey, welcome to the forums! Right now I have every intention of being at the next AMD Zone party. I have thought about doing your suggestion. I want to cut an ovel on the lid. The back of the display would then light up any logo i placed in the window. As far as doing the whole case.. I kinda like the wood. Maybe Deja 2.0! :D

9. xrain

xrain Minimodder

maybe a red cold cathoid? that would match the stain!

(blast i lost my tital as 69 dude! :grr: )

looking good keep it up!

10. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Hey guys and gals, I found some more pis of keypad construction and testing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The green board was added to help me split all the fuction buttons. I simply soldered it to the MB front panel header.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I replaced the red leds with green to better match the keypad.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is the rework for the parallel port to use the LCD display. I used a usb header to mount the socket to (the connector next to the last slot).

More later!

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Very nice, your way too intelligent :worried:

12. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

nice, more pics, the closeup of the keypad is noice...now i can figure out what the functions of most of the buttons are!

13. Leadpipe

Leadpipe What's a Dremel?

It's nice to know im now the only Marathon fanatic out there. I still play Marathon on my PC fairly frequently. Never played Halo though. Keep up the awesome work!

14. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Skillful work there- most people dont get splinters when Lanning :D

15. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

The reason I suggested it is becease if you paint (or dye) one side of plexi, the other side will show the color and, as can be expected, extremely shiney. I tried it out when working on a project that fell through to lack of funds and time (well, I was moving at the time). All I did was spray a adiquate coat of black vinyl dye and <insert some word like "presto"
    here> and I had a piece I could use as a mirror. As a matter of fact, I did use it as a mirror, and on more than one occasion. If your interested, I could dig up a pic or two to show you how it came out. The effect, I thought at the time, would make great "plating" for some project. I have a use lined up for the idea but its still about $400 away from beginning. Actually, now that I think about it, its remarkably simular to Macroman's Macroblack, though, I hadn't seen the case at the time. One idea I did plan to steal from the Macroblack project was the use of the window tint. To give credit where due, I'd like to add window tint was a genuis idea.

Anyway, I appreciate the welcome. Actually, I've been registered here a few months short of a year. I just don't post much at all. I more active over at the GideonTech forums (www.gideontech.com forums.gideontech.com). I am slowly becoming mroe active here though. As soon as I can get things around my home more in order, I want to start posting projects of my own. Including the old gateway tower :D

EDIT:

I hope not to hijack your thread at all but this is what it looked like with dye on one side...

[​IMG]

Like a mirror :)

Last edited: 19 Mar 2004
  16. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Part 7 - A more colorful tale.

Well with the case mostly finished, I decided it was time to do something about the color, so.....
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I went with stain. I think it looks good too. After testing about 5 different stains, I used red oak. I used three different sand papers to give it a nice smooth feeling. I also ran into some idiot problems. I wanted to test my LCD display, so i made a test rig. On the way to work I broke the power connector on it. When I soldered the connector back on, I used the wrong voltage. As soon as i plugged it in, all the leds lit up a nice red (they were green leds) flickered and went out, along with the controller. :wallbash: I used 12V on a 5V device. Didnt smell too good. I also damaged my audio circuit somehow. :waah: It was not a good day. I got with Zap, and together we came up with something to put in the place of the LCD for now. More on that later.....

17. Mondak

Mondak What's a Dremel?

oh man - bummer. Sounds like something I would do.

Hang in there - it can be repaired I am sure. . .

Everything looks great so far. You are doing a killer job.

18. oshta

oshta Guest

yep, i certainly rember them, and "fast" acorn look-a-likes

- Great Mod tho, be planing a simulaer idera my self - just mounting a LCD to the MOBO side of a midi tower, but this rocks!!

19. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

WHOA! i dunno how i missed this one... - seems to me all the good wooden projects have already been done (and i was thinking about doing one myself ;) - guess i`ll have to think of something else).
    one question though - i saw you are using the dremel as a router with the plunge router attachment, how is it as a router? i saw on macroman`s article back in the time that he strongly recommended against it, and since i am in the need of a router - i now have the dillemma of either accessorizing my dremel or spending some more $$ on a new expensive router?
    what`s your reccomendation as far as wood work goes?

20. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Thanks Guys! :)

Mondak-Not too sure, the chips that fried would be hard to replace. But who knows, I will look into it later.

LockmanX-No problem. That looks pretty good! I did a similar thing trying to make a Texas flag, but not sure if I am going to use it. Thanks for the idea.

alianyn-I think if I had the money, I would opt for a dedicated router. If money is a problem, the dremel attachement can work, you just have to have a LOT of patience and go slow. Poor little thing just dont have that much power. :rolleyes: