1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Deja - Wooden Lugable

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mr. Red, 31 Oct 2003.

1. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

:D :clap: :rock:
    That's all I've to say.
    :thumb: :dremel: :hehe:

2. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Part 10: Here we go again....

Hey guys, well I couldn't let it rest. Before going to QuakeCon this year I decided to do a couple of small upgrades to the computer:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I replaced my black fans with some clear green fans. They were originally blue/red/yellow/green fans, but with a quick change :dremel: , ahhhh nice and green. Then while i was trying to get the sticker off the top of the fan, I got them too hot and they started to melt! :worried: :duh: Had to start over again. Lessons learned the hard way. I am quite please with the end result though. I also added a 802.11g wireless card! Now all i need is a battery pack! :hehe:

Overall I ended up with 4th place. I was a bit disappointed, but considering the competition, I think I did alright.

After QuakeCon I decided Deja needed a bit more work, but I will have to wait till I have a better internet connection before I post that(I love bit-torrent, but good grief). Here is a teaser:
    [​IMG]

3. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

is that a custom kb? Gr8 work man. I saw your initial work this year but never posted. I think its about time I posted. Good Luck. And Gr8 work.

4. Zion

Zion What's a Dremel?

Nice and clean. Fantastic work i look forward to what your working on and cant wait to see it.

5. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Yes, yes it is! :naughty:

Update 11: The Key here is......

The whole keyboard was reproduced and laser cut in wood. For a reto look, we used round keys. The spacer is a sheet of plexi painted black on the back giving it a mirrored finnish. The keys were then glued to a paper thin sheet of plastic (I used the protective sheet from the plexi). To make the keys easier to push, I then cut the plastic into rows. Next i recut the keyboard frame to fit the new keyboard and stained it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cutting the keys
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gluing the keys
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Preping the new keyboard
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Done!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Closing Shots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]]

Deja's new closeup:
    Click Here

Last edited: 6 Sep 2004
  6. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I helped a little bit with this.

Mr. Red did an insaine amount of measuring, design, and hacking to get the keyboard to come out just right.

Now...lets all vote for him to make a wodden mouse.

7. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

That would be owsome. Wood everything. It would be cool if you could also make a wood gamepad for the emulators and such.

8. TRrebel

TRrebel What's a Dremel?

nice touch with the "any" key, you tricky b@stard

9. Cecil-San

Cecil-San What's a Dremel?

Very nice...amazing wood working..

Rather spiffy keyboard as well... :D

I think a wooden mouse would fit extremely well...either that or cover an existing mouse w/ that fake wood type wall paper stuff (altho a custom wood mouse would be alot cooler)

Btw..just a neat tidbit...for those of you that don't know..the 1st mouse made by Doug Englebart was infact made of wood...

Had 1 button..and was basicly a big block of wood w/ your standard roll wheels for positioning..

Edit - was made in...i believe 1968-1972..around there...

Again..just for your info... :D

10. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

you guys suck! I make a wooden keyboard and all i get is where is the mouse! :hehe: just kiddin. I am considering doing it, but it will take a while. I think I would go with solid wood. Of course if i do the mouse, I will also have to do the headphones! :duh: :hehe: There are headphones and mice made of wood that you can buy premade, but at $500 each, I think not! :sigh:

Here is a linky to pics of the first mouse Cecil-San talked about:
    The First Computer Mouse (about 1964)

:D The KB was actually for a MAC. That key was not marked and had no apparent fucntion, so naturally it became the "any" key.

11. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

hahaha, nice dude, i glad you revived this, it was one of my favorites back in the day!!!!

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Its always nice to see one of the classics brought back :thumb: I have some ideas on how you could make a wooden mouse though :) For the main part, you could use the versa laser of ZapWizard's to cut out the main shape. Then subsequent pieces could be cut in the same manner. Im sure with that handy dandy tool you can make a darn spiffy mouse that all works together :thumb: BTW, I love the "Any" key :D

13. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Build it in layers, Red... build it in layers!
    ;)

Man, you put a little blood in the water on doing that nice new keyboard!
    ... and out we came on ya'! ;)

:wallbash:

I'm seeing like layered balsawood. Almost a venier (spelling?) thickness. Build it up one layer at a time, and you can control component instalation, orientation, and cavity shape.

I am no wood worker (currently watching the Sketchup demos to teach myself Sketchup), but I think you could swing a good rodent using a layered/sanded approach! Knowing you and your skills, you could swing this!

*ding*
    ...and writing this down has given me an idea!!!!!
    :thumb:
    hehehe... good luck!
    You guys recovered from QC?

14. Zion

Zion What's a Dremel?

the keyboard looks sweet. i also vote for you to do the wooden mouse. i think it would be very original. iv never seen one at least :D

15. chhr

chhr What's a Dremel?

Omg, that would definately make me say "Wow" if i passed it. Man, that is some serious kick-ass work!

16. Kelisis

Kelisis What's a Dremel?

That's sweet Mr. Red! You added another fantastic element to the all ready great wood case.

17. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

awesome update red, i really like the look of it now.

wooden mouse would kick a. you should definately make your best attempt.

18. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Thanks everyone! :D

I like the idea of layers for making the mouse, I will work with some plans and see if I can get something that will work! Now where did i put that, ah yes.. :dremel: :D

19. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

*Steals Red’s dremel and replaces it with a good sharp pocket knife*
    There you go now hand make that mouse.
    :thumb:

20. Zion

Zion What's a Dremel?

That would be just plain, downright evil. :D