1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: Denon CD to PC HTPC - ***FINISHED***

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by QuinnDexter, 16 Mar 2005.

?

was it worth it?

1. Yep, looks the business

64 vote(s)
    83.1%
  2. nah, should have bought a Silverstone htpc case

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. QuinnDexter

QuinnDexter What's a Dremel?

im only going to have the ports i want off the back, svideo, lan, and audio. goin to make the custom cables and ports i need. the main issue i have ... .or will have is heat,,, im thinking of opening up the top to allow all the hot air to go.... anywhere but in.. please keep on with the thoughts though.. every little helps ... as they say

2. moddenmania

moddenmania What's a Dremel?

HOW ABOUT SOME VENTS ON TOP KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

3. TurboFlush

TurboFlush What's a Dremel?

If you put vents in the top you might as well reverse the fan in the back to blow in. putting holes in the top will just confuse the air flow. I would put a fan on each side about and inch or two back from the front. that way they are hidden but provied positive pressure to the inside and plenty of moving air on the inside. just be carefull what fans you use as some can be rather loud even when they are suposed to be quite (as I found out).

My server is nicknamed the Jet engine. :wallbash:

I too am starting work on a HTPC, but fully custom from the start. I like what you are doing though. to bad I cant fit all of what I need to fit in a case like that. LOL

TF

4. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Really nice!!

5. QuinnDexter

a question of air flow

something ive been thinking about while away from home over the long weekend...

I have the fan at the back, and the psu has a small fan built in also at the back. but apart from that i have not yet placed anyother fans.

there is no room at the sides of the case for fans, so i cant put any inside, and i dont want "ear" fans bolted to the outside.

my 2 ideas.

1) To cut a large rectangular hole (pretty much the width of the case) on the top and then flush mount mesh (so it looks a little like your typical amp/receiver top) and would let as much air in as possible.

2) to cut another round hole and mount one fan directly above the cpu in the case

whether these fan(s) will be blowing or sucking (hmm) air in or out of the case i have no idea whats best, so will probably do some tests closer to completion.

6. QuinnDexter

*UPDATE*

Havent had much time recently what with getting engaged, but have now fabricated a power switch..

I started with the original switch which was basically a long plastic rod and took out the momentary pc switch from an old case

[​IMG]

pardon the quality of some of these images, lent my digi camera to a friend so only had my webcam for progress pics

I then took a piece of copper plate from the old cd innards and cut it to size

[​IMG]

the spring you can see here came from the old cd too, im using it to keep the button rod in place

[​IMG]
    ^ dodgy close up

i epoxeyed the plate to the bottom and using the screw for one of the feet, fixed a flexible cable retaining hoop (from the old cd player) to keep the rod in place

[​IMG]

here it is all in place.. works a treat

[​IMG]

----

Last edited: 11 Apr 2005
  7. QuinnDexter

i also cut off the edges of my dvd writer so it can fit in the original hole

[​IMG]

just a couple of mils each side, took a while to get the face plate off!!

[​IMG]

next up for some dremel action was cutting the extra tabs off the agp riser card as it wouldnt fit in the mobo agp slot otherwise..

[​IMG]

no idea why it had extra tabs on the left and the right hand side, ho hum.
    ------

following on from a cool mod guide for buttons to serial (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=72775) ive decided this will be the best way to make use of the heaps of buttons that are on the original facia, ill be off to maplins this weekend to buy the components (just got my first ever soldering kit today from ebay) and a mate of mine will help with creating the custom pcb.

buttons to use will be - play, stop, ff, rw, next track, previous track, and some others yet to be decided

8. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

The extra tabs on the sides are for attaching to other riser cards for support. If you get them as a bundle, they usually come with spacers and screws to hold them the right distance apart. Since you're making a custom back panel, you might want to look into adding 1 or 2 PCI risers so you can add a capture card or the like.

What will you be using to control the buttons? I've decided that the easiest (but not cheapest) way is to use a matrix orbital display with a keypad controler built in. Keeps the software hassle to a minimum, and saves on space to boot! There are ways to make a paralel or serial keypad interface, but that requires more software and interfacing than I want to deal with.

keep up the good work!

9. QuinnDexter

if you checkout the link in my last post.. control will be via a custom made pcb going to the com port at the back of the mobo, ill be using the original buttons for the tasks..

the vfd will be parallel controlled and seperate

10. QuinnDexter

more work completed yesterday and today...

took an aluminium blanking plate from a disused case and cut part of it off to form an l-plate

[​IMG]

Then i drilled with a metal drill bit and dremel through the 3 mill aluminium base to mount from underneath.. that took ages and wrecked my drill bit.. sigh

[​IMG]

then i drilled (using the pillar drill that i should have used for the previous drilling) 2 side mounting holes..

[​IMG]

convinient that it rests on a precisely (hehe) cut part of the plastic interior.

[​IMG]

wasnt happy with the rigidity of the drive so straightened a piece of mounting bracket that was used in the denon previously and epoxed this in place overnight for mounting on the other side

[​IMG]

(an old carbon fiber dremel wheel proves to be a good washer :)
    the front actually fits perfectally in the hole for the original cd drive so provides a snug fit. I was very pleased with how this measure once cut once approach didnt screw me over! :D

11. QuinnDexter

Woke up today with the intention of getting all the PC components up and test running....

which is where to my horror i found out that there isnt enough clearing from the agp riser to the pci slots to fit a graphics card.

ARRRGH!!!!!! i did scream with many an expletive

who the hell designs something so stupid?

so went to the local sunday computer fair and picked up some bits..

a slim line 128mb fx5200 tvout gfx card (£30)

[​IMG]

and some memory - 512MB kingston DDR400 (£30)... bargain

and spread it all out on the coffee table - routed through my receiver and into the tv...

all i can say is im amazed it all worked first time!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- unfortunately the graphics card had to be dremelled so it can fit in the case (90mm clearance) - the vga connector was unscrewed and unplugged (it has a short ribon cable to the gfx card - i might mount this at a later point but doubt it..

[​IMG]

poor brand new card.. sniff. Needs must though. at least it all works!

12. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

awfully brave dremelling all these bits of your cards off.. looking really nice, this mod has some amazing potential! keep it up!

13. QuinnDexter

dang! photobucket

14. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

yea... bandwidth has been exceeeedeeed :sigh:

15. aevitas

aevitas What's a Dremel?

x2.. can't see shizzle :rolleyes:

16. QuinnDexter

fixed.. bit of optomisation and a new photobucket account, find replace.. sigh. dull start to the week!

any better photo hosting sites (free) out there for this sorta thing?

17. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

What software are you going to use? Linux? Windows ? ... ?

L

18. QuinnDexter

asked before ..

windows of some variation

19. QuinnDexter

ok.. going to be using this from the modding guides http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=72775

and have just created a pcb layout for 10 buttons.. (sans led)

[​IMG]

the buttons are going to be wired from the original pcb to a connector - connects to this pcb from the right, the 5way on the left will be a ribbon cable to the rs232 port on the back of my mobo..

this is going to be my first ever pcb creation and soldering event so have probably got it completely wrong! - watch this space for the ARRRGHS ;)

20. QuinnDexter

please ignore the lil x's as photobucket is down for maintenence. until 4am mst - whatever time that is!?

heatsink and fan - used the search loads and read loads of reviews and decided on a 80x80x25 panaflo fan (ebay) and a thermalright alx800 socket A heatsink (overclockers.co.uk), has the profile and the dimesions i think will fit the case best.

while i was at it i also bought a 3pin motherboard splitter as i have 1 case fan and one cpu fan but only 1 mobo connector for the power.. sigh.

Ive also done some tweaks to my pcb layout, the final board will be 5cm x 4cm singlesided.