1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: Denon CD to PC HTPC - ***FINISHED***

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by QuinnDexter, 16 Mar 2005.

?

was it worth it?

1. Yep, looks the business

64 vote(s)
    83.1%
  2. nah, should have bought a Silverstone htpc case

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Well I like the pc. Vrey nice work you have done. I am modding a pc into a htpc as well and it is a fun project.

Two things I would sugest.
    1. Clean up the wires (I know you alredy mentioned that) but im just emphasising how well a neat case looks.
    2. Get a cheepo tv tuner card just in case you want to capture some tv feeds or something to complete the htpc feel and you have the pci slots to spare so it should not be a problem.

2. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

Here's a link for a guide to vinyl dying your DVD tray.
    It shows the location of the tabs to depress to remove the tray.

vinyl dye guide

3. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

great modding there man, it sits at home nicly amungst your other units liek a charm complete stealth. gw

4. QuinnDexter

QuinnDexter What's a Dremel?

yep.. well the inside is a nice to have, an ill do that sometime, doesnt effect the outside though which is the main thing ;)

and i did think about a tv tuner card, but over here in the UK i already have sky+ which is like tivo and can record 2 channels at the same time - so that caters to all my dvr needs. This box is for digital music, divx's and browsing the web (plus some older games, mame etc)

5. QuinnDexter

a most excellent site.. thanks :rock:

6. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

great job :D

7. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

nice job, im working on a similiar project, except im using a VCR housing instead of a CD player.

8. koola

koola Minimodder

Very nice project and finish!

9. QuinnDexter

Thanks mr webbyman

Indeed, I will be following your thread for certain good luck!

Thanks Koola, although ill never be truly finished, but for the nearish future im happy...

10. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

wow, very nice completion! I'm a bit stymied with mine at the moment, as the postal system has lost my MO dosplay in transit here. Good thing it's insured!

I would recommend a non-metal filter like this:
    http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?han...uctid=292749&e_categoryid=414&e_pcodeid=56201
    That will allow you to clean it without opening the case. They also make a 45 PPI(?) version. There are a few other filters available in their catalog on the preceeding page.

I'd really recommend the vinyl dye as well. Other than that, stellar!

11. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

great mod! really clean.
    small suggestion, shoulda read this log earlier but hey, better late than never!
    you know the matrix orbital screen that you've got, i noticed that you used a usb header to make an extension to the outside of the case, well that extension had 2 sockets on it didnt it?
    surely it would have been easier if you plugged the matrix into one of those, as it would have been much cleaner and you wouldnt have had to butcher the cable! but it still looks pretty damn clean! would definetly say it was worth it, would also reccomend getting a slightly better chip too, reccomend a mobile athlon as theyd run cooler and give you decent performance too compared to the duron.
    kewl mod! :thumb:

12. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Why you even wonder? It looks great. In your shoes I would even fool myself thinking that it is not a PC... (my IQ is not that high)

13. QuinnDexter

hey, if you look again at the pics you will see that the mobo is in the inside of the case, i didnt cut that cable, I removed some of the plastic around the plug as I needed to bend the end slightly. As the mobo i/o panel is internal the cable doesnt come out of the case.

The usb port at the back is to plug in the RF transmitter for the wireless keyboard and mouse, I did think about internalising it, but it reduced the range. the usb port extension cable connects to the only USB header on the mobo.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Nicely done. Most people just rape all original parts apart so you can't actually call them original things nomore. But THIS really still looks like an Denon-cd-player, which is very very good thing!

I like the way U use some of the buttons :)

15. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I think it looks excellent, Might be time to start searching Ebay for a broken cd or dvd player :)

16. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

nice one :D

17. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

VERY nice.

i would have added a digital output, and looked into other forms of video out than s-video, as being limited to just that is a bit annoying.

some front USB ports would been nice too, but overall, extremely clean work, i like it a lot. well done!

18. mediacoretex

mediacoretex What's a Dremel?

so u can only use usb keyboards and mouses that sucks

19. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

i forgot to mention... it fit's in lovely with the stack :thumb:

20. QuinnDexter

what other sorts of keyboard and mice are there?

i plug an rf transmitter into the 1 usb port at the back of the PC for wireless keyboard and mouse... suits me fine n dandy ;)

and svideo is my method of choice as all my other boxes route using svideo into my receiver.. if i had component RGB on my tv let alone hdmi i may have considered sommit else, but as i dont, i went for the next best thing.