1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Der_Meister - custom alu case *Epilogue Nov 8th, 2007*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jokkos, 20 Mar 2006.

1. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

I know exactly how boring it is sand that brushed feeling on the alu. You really need to dig in to the metal, and remove that kinda reflective surface that aluminium sheets have. Takes ages.

For my Hangar, I really don't know how many pieces of sanding paper I've wasted (may not the right word for it, but still :D). I really thought I got a nice surface with the 320 grit only, but that's my experience anyway. The most important thing is that the lines does'nt intersect each other, and you get rid of ALL the raw, reflective surface. Great job, and I bet your arms are aching :D And if not, you've aint done enough sandin' yet ;)

2. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Hmm, what about using a wire wheel? That always gave me decent results and it is extremely fast.

3. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Well, good works, how are your arms? :-]
    Go on brother, this project is really a "kick ass piece of craftmanship"!
    Bye, 'till the next update!

4. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

thanks,

my arms were not too bad, they were sore (stiffness) the next day though...

yesterday I polished the floor panel but I guess I didn't wetsand it properly since it didn't come out the way I want it (not the same look everywhere; probably because the sanding was not perfectly the same on the whole panel).
    So after that I wetsanded the top panel and I took my time for it. It should be okay, I'm polishing this tonight. Hopefully with more success (and pics).

the polishing == much harder for me than the sanding. My arms are pretty tough and can take a beating but my wrists are rather weak in comparison, so that was pretty painful (although I used a polishing wheel on my drill for part of the job - but that moves in circles so only good at the beginning and then I need to do it all by hand with a polishing cloth)

5. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

I know, the polising is really a boring task, but the results are really stunning!
    What kind of polishing paste you use?
    I usually use Iosso, is a good paste and is really useful to polish even plastics!
    Bye!

6. jokkos

I'm using some stuff I'd never heard of before, it's actually meant for polishing chrome and alu parts on bikes. I asked advice in the shop where I bought it, because I'm after a particular effect...more on that later today, need to photoshop the pics first.

7. jokkos

Brushing & Polishing – Part two: polishing to a ‘slightly used & aged’ look

In this update I’ll show you some pics of the first polished panels. However, before I show them to you I need to motivate it a little. If you want to understand, I would advice you read it. If you don’t care, just skip to the pics.

Let me start with this:
    The effect you’ll see in the pics (the last ones) is exactly the result I wanted to get!!!!
    This to avoid (hopefully) the ‘you didn’t do a good job’ posts.

Let’s go back in time. The original idea for the case came from the podium (stage) Rammstein used for the ‘Reise, Reise’ tour. It was huge, it was partly mechanical, it was grey and black and some blue…sounds familiar right. Showing you pics of it would be futile, if you’ve ever seen it in real, you know what I’m talking about. If not, well then you’ve just got to take my word for it. Anyway, the ‘Reise, Reise’ theme was a plane crash and the band members had some make-up that made it look like they just came from the crash site. The stage tried to match that theme. So it looked rugged, used, a bit beaten. The metalwork was darkened, not nicely polished. Other artwork on cd’s and dvd’s of Rammstein follows this approach for the metal tints.

Stepping away from that for a moment, a shiny polished thing is not something most people associate with a ‘metal’-band. Something made of metal but not too clean, too perfect, would be more suitable. A case-mod based on such a band, IMO should follow that idea.

So, my very first original plan was to make a worn-out metal look. Really worn-out. In that idea, there was no plexi and no anodized alu, just casepanels. When the sketches started to take form and I started to frequent modding forums more, I saw more and more polished pieces, mirror-polished look, etc. And well, I kinda grew accostumed to that. So I changed plans and wanted to go for a very clean look. But no mirror-finish, I planned to brush the panels. To be honest, I like to see mirror-finished parts, but I would never get that for my case. It’s too much for my taste.

Now I have to confess something. I’ve been holding out on you guys. Over the past month and a half, I’ve been keeping secrets…While I was doing the wiring and loose ends, I took a piece of the case and I started sanding it. That was the time I ‘perfected’ the sanding method I described in the previous update. I had some good polishing paste, and I polished the piece. It was technically perfect. It had a perfectly uniform look, not a stain in sight, etc. But: it didn’t feel right. It was too clean/shiny/perfect for a case based on Rammstein.

So I started a thread at Wizdforum and I got this reply:

The last part was exactly what I was thinking. Honor’s due, thanks ỒĊBłůē for pointing my head in the right direction again!

So I gave it some more thought, and finally came up with the effect I wanted. A brushed panel that doesn’t look new but not very old or beaten or anything either. Like it’s been around for a while, not new and certainly not perfect or uniform over the entire panel. But still with a good finish: polished and –contrary to the suggestion above- probably clearcoated, but without polishing the clearcoat. The black alu will be left as-is, not really shiny but more matte.

IMO this should give a very cool result, fitting the theme much better than a shiny or mirror finish.

After all the text, I’ll show the pics first and then add some more text, because getting this look was not as easy as you’d think.

The first couple of pics are of the floorpanel. I didn’t wetsand it enough (see text below the pics) so the effect is a bit too exaggerated.
    [​IMG]

Another angle, trying to capture the effect of the light
    [​IMG]

The brushed effect came out really well…
    [​IMG]

The lessons learned from the floorpanel were applied to the toppanel and….see for yourself:
    [​IMG]

Another angle:
    [​IMG]

Yet another angle:
    [​IMG]

A good one of the brushed effect…exactly what I had in mind:
    [​IMG]

Do you like it?

Now a last bit of text, only read if you’re interested in a bit more info on how I got to this look. As I said, it’s not as easy as it seems. One could think: ‘this effect is easy: just sand but not all the way everywhere on the panel, wetsand but do it a bit less here and there, add a few marks before appying the polish and don’t rub the polish everywhere with the same enthousiasm.’ …Not…

If done that way, it’s ugly. You really have to plan it out, it’s actually a planned randomness. For example, if one would just sand certain spots less hard than other posts, there’s always an edge nearby that is also not sanded properly since you have to be careful on that spot with the sanding paper. And that’s too obvious. Instead, properly sanding the whole panel, then wiping the working surface with the fingertips to gather sanding dust, and rubbing it on the panel here and there followed by a light sanding, gives a much better ‘dirty/dark’ spot.

Of course this takes time. And I did move too fast with the floorpanel: I too thought that wetsanding certain areas less thoroughly than others would be good, but it just leaves too much sanding dust from the drysanding and then you get the effect you can see in the first few pics. There is too much difference on this panel. I spent a lot more time on wetsanding the top panel, and it shows, even in the pics. It came out much better. I would say that 95% of the effect is created in the sanding phase, the wetsanding and polishing need to be properly done to get the overall look right.

--------

So now I have two panels that are finished. But fingerprints are an issue with the polished finish, and it will wear over time. To keep the look I have now, some clearcoating would be advisable. I never clearcoated polished parts before, is this even possible? Also, I would like to put on as few coats as possible to keep the shinyness to a minimum. Preferably just one coat. Would that be enough?

Thanks for looking and comments.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2011
  8. Roswell

Roswell What's a Dremel?

Very much yes. Love the finish, can't wait to see the finished case.

9. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

I must tell you the truth...
    The first time that I saw your sanding effort I say : terrible, all the case MUST be mirror finished!
    But my wife point me to take a look at Reise Reise pics that we take in concert in Milan. You're right, this is the REAL Rammstein Reise Reise look.
    I have to give you a lot of excuse :wallbash:
    I agree with you, the sanded alu need a protection from fingerprint, is't near a nightmare!
    For the clearcoting I can't help you, but I think that only one coat is not enought. Try to use two coats of opaque and on the top two more but reflective, this can be a good solution...
    Bye, and more excuse, you're doing a good work! :rock:

10. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

This looking very sweet man. I really can't wait to see everything put together. I just hope you remember where everything goes :confused: good work on the sanding and polishing too, its coming out nice.

11. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

InDeed..Good stuff..

12. jokkos

Thanks, I'm convinced that everyone who knows Rammstein stages and cds etc, will share this (and my) opinion.

As for the clearcoat, I'm going to give it a try in a couple of hours, first I'm finishing polishin the front panel...

Thanks to the others that commented.

13. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

Oh man was that tour cool!!! Loved the podium things that levetated the band members up to the top of it and down again with all the blue flashing lights. And when oliver went out in the boat =D he floated right over me it was awesome. Mein teil was wicked also, when Till chased flake around in a buitchers coat and flake was in a couldren XD absoluetly brutal tour.

Loving the case too man. Rammstein are easily one of my fave bands and i envy this case a lot, i'd love to have that sitting next to my desk =D Absolutely awesome

14. jokkos

*off topic*
    well in the Reise tour the boat trip that Olli takes is nothing compared to the one in the Herzeleid/Sehnsucht and Mutter tours. There it lasted as long as the song Seemann.

The Herzeleid/Sehnsucht tour was the first time I saw Rammstein. Before noon on a festival in Belgium. On broad daylight=not the best time to see Rammstein with all the fire etc. We all were startled when Till took this giant bow with a flaming arrow and first pointed it at the audience. Good times!

But the podium and show of the Reise tour is the best, even though the entry of the Mutter tour (including a giant heart in fluid in a plexi case, Till was lowered from the top of the podium, Flake with a lab coat and women's stockings) was brilliant as well...
    */off topic*

thanks,

I'm still sanding and polishing. Yesterday I sanded and wetsanding the side panels. I also polished one side of the big, full side panel.

I also had a go at clearcoating the panels. I found that it works well, two coats are ideal. Unfortunately the coat wouldn't settle well on the top panel so I had to add an extra one, and another one. So that's a bit shinier than the others, not too bad actually considering that's the panel that will be suffering from light and dust the most.

15. jokkos

Pics of finished front panel

Today’s update contains a few pics of the finished front panel. To do something different, I added some text which is partly correct but mostly pure fiction…

-----

1989. The fall of the Wall, the symbol of the separation of Western and Eastern Germany that had been present since the end of World War II. The economical mess that was Eastern was reunited with its strong neighbour. Devaluation, recession, depression where the results. Amidst all of this, a couple of industry workers that had musical hobbies, found eachother and formed a new band. They ‘envisioned something with machines and hard guitars together’. Rammstein was born.

To complement the machine-sound, they wanted to build some accessories, one of them being a machine-computer. Coming from industrial environments or having worked in the industry, something out of metal was the obvious choice. So Flake, a former toolworker, gathered some stuff and started putting the pieces together. They had talked only a little bit about the looks of the thing. Machine-sound, machine-look…pretty straightforward: industrial. Flake found a former power housing and started building from it. He made some extra cuts here and ther, washed the panels, made some extra cuts here and there, removed the most obvious stains, gave them a quick polish and threw in some clearcoat. After all this thing was going to be a symbol and it would be nice to protect it from more detoriation. This is what the front looked like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were some scratches that Flake removed. Some holes had grease around them from the bolts that were regularly removed and changed around. The grease had protected the metal from detoriation. Unfortunately some greasy fingerpints where also made here and there and made stains that where very persistent.

The panels looked perfect for the machine-look the band was going for. Beneath ‘the stains of time’ the original brushing was still quite apparent.
    [​IMG]

After the panels where put back on their frame, some extra bits were needed. So some plexi and black alu pieces were fabricated and were to be included in the final machine. The Rammstein machine-computer was complete and baptised ‘Der_Meister’, named after one of their first songs.

----

Fantasy writing is fun, this is now a case with a background story :rock:

Here are a few more pics of the front panel on my wooden floor. Makes a pretty nice combo actually. Greensabbath I hope you see these, they make a bit of an appetizer (albeit a weak one) for the results of your project…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and finally: I found two amazing wallpapers that are a perfect fit to the industrial machine look and that I can/will use as windows background. I especially like the second one:
    (link1) and (link2)

They could also be used as background for the Samurize config on the Psone LCD, but I think it would be too busy. Besides, the best idea for that config I’ve had so far is to make some sort of amplifier bars and that is something totally different.

That’s all for now…

Last edited: 24 Aug 2011
  16. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Wow that last picture really captures what a great effect hast been achieved It's nice looking and I enjoyed the fact that your case has a background story :).

17. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Really a stunning effect!
    Good polishing work, I love the alu and his finishing!

18. compmodder

compmodder What's a Dremel?

i have been following this project and checking it everyday and i am soooo impressed with it...you do such god work. Good-onya man

19. jokkos

thanks all.

You may have noticed it, you may not, but I've been away for a couple of days. I'm back now.

Time for a small heads-up.

I'm still in the sanding & polishing phase.

Progress:

Case panels: 95% done (only thing left is polishing the backpanels)
    Case frame: finished
    Bottom panel: 15% done
    Mesh pieces: finished
    AC cover plates and fillport: 65% done
    0.5mm alu: 0% done
    Black alu: 0% done

By Sunday I plan to do a lot, everything except the black alu should be done (black alu probably also partly finished).

So the sanding & polishing is actually going pretty well. It's by far the biggest thing that's left to do on the case.

The other big thing is the new hardware. Unfortunately I still don't have everything yet. Still missing are the waterblock for the vid card and the vid card itself. It seems Aqua-Computer ran into some serious delays, so I don't know when the waterblock will be done and sent to me. As for the video card, my regular store doesn't seem to get hold of the Asus 8800GTS. It's strange because it is in stock at several other stores I know. But as long as I haven't got the waterblock, I can't do much with the vid card either...so I'm waiting a bit longer.

Last thing I wanted to tell you: I finished the case stickers. They're sent to the company that will print them. In fact they're printed and on their way to me, should be here soon. I'll post some pics.

See you!

20. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

yay i feel the end is near on the case brilliant work and i cant wait untill sunday if you update then !!!!