1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Der_Meister - custom alu case *Epilogue Nov 8th, 2007*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jokkos, 20 Mar 2006.

1. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

Thanks all

@Sobek: thanks, it's an honor you signed up just to post in my log. Welcome to the forums.

Well; Aqua-Computer just released their new version of the Aquastream pump and it rules...so I must constrain myself not to get one, since it would mean A LOT of extra work. Problem is that I don't like to hold myself back :wallbash:

2. Lupo_IM

Lupo_IM ItaliaModding staff

very happy to see Italian products on your great mod!!! :D

3. jokkos

The story continues – wooden box revisited

Short update! I’ve started on the wooden box thing, to make sure the external rad will fit. The box wasn’t high enough and it was pretty deep, so it was actually a bit too big for my current desk. The new monitor is a lot more compact than my 19” CRT, so I can shorten the box a lot. I’ve cut off about 8cm.

Here is a pic while I was taking it apart. You can see there’s a few holes in middle of the top plate, I won’t be needing them anymore. They will have to be filled up and everything will have to be sanded before I repaint it.
    [​IMG]

The donor plate for the new side pieces. It’s a left-over part of a furniture panel.
    [​IMG]

Fast forward. I taped and marked everything and went to my friend who owns a table saw. And a very good one as it turns out.
    So, here’s a try-out of the shortened top piece and the new side pieces.
    [​IMG]

99,9% perfect fit! Only a small bit of filing required here and there…very nice. Here’s another shot of the other side…
    [​IMG]

And finally, a comparison shot of the new side pieces and one of the old side pieces. The new ones are shorter and higher (old ones were 12cm and new ones are 14,2cm so I can fit my radiator grille which is 14cm, the rad is 13cm so won’t touch any of the edges).
    [​IMG]

That’s it for now. The next thing to do will be sanding, filling and resanding that top piece to make it look a bit newer again…

Last edited: 25 Aug 2011
  4. headala

headala New Member

Hey, quick question. I forgot...did you have one vid card running all three monitors, or some other way? My next build will have a small LCD and two normal LCD monitors and I don't want to put in two cards.

5. jokkos

hi, no I do have two vid cards. And I will be taking one of them out. I will be trying an USB-VGA adapter (external) though, but that is something that isn't built for high quality 3d or movie stuff or so. As a supporting desktop for 2d things, it should work just fine.

6. headala

headala New Member

Well let us know how that goes. I might do the same!

7. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana New Member

Hi Jokkos,

Long time, no speak, I see your back at it again with Der Meister! As I understad it your going to be taking your W/C loop out of the case and into a Rad / Fan box, is this going to go back onto your desk? As wood is quite resonant and will amplify the sound of the fans (bad) and how are you going to connect it all up, ie, power for fans etc?

Also, I think your right not to go with the innovatek Maxi passive rad, I have the Ultra on the side of a cheiftek dragon case and it's bl**dy heavy (very well made though).

Can't wait to see what it looks like when you've finished!

Jimbo

8. jokkos

Hi Jimbo,

I'm adding a second rad and it's indeed going 'inside' the wooden box. Wiring is no problem, I've got a hole in the lower panel of my case were two cables come out already, so a third one makes no difference.
    I know about the resonance issue, but there will be two Noctua 800's going on the rad and they're very silent but also very smooth running, so I don't think it'll matter a lot. Besides, my monitor goes on top of the wooden box, it weighs about 8kgs so the wood is not free-standing.

The weight of the Innovatek rad was not my major concern, since I wouldn't attach it to the case. But that was exactly the problem: the feet for making it a stand-alone solution are pretty big and that would make it too large to put where I'd want it to be, other solutions (like their cross-blow fan) also were not really an option. With that, the price would also be quite high (250 euro) compared to the 240 I'm installing now (in all, about 75 euro).

I'm actually pretty far with the woodwork but since it's boring I haven't posted pics. I'll be painting it soon, then I'll do an update.

9. jokkos

The story continues – wooden box

Short update with some pics.

I sanded the box and filled gaps and holes where necessary. Here’s the result before painting.
    [​IMG]

I gave the new pieces a small bevel so they look a bit better
    [​IMG]

The underside. The rad is not as wide as the box, and I also need some room for cabling (fans and control unit of my speakers). Pretty ideal actually, the fittings of the rad also need some room on one side. So I added this small wooden piece. One of the braces for the rad grille will be attached to it. Of course it’ll need something more than the two screws you’re seeing. I will make two small alu spacers for it.
    [​IMG]

And a last one: this is right after I finished with the first layer of paint. The paint hasn’t flowed out properly yet. Looking good. Tomorrow I’m giving it a second layer and that’ll do.
    [​IMG]

Till then.

10. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Looks awsome, great work. Question about the updates, i started my first project and i have no idea how to put an update in the name of my thread. Someone have the answer?

11. Supra55

Supra55 New Member

Shouldn't it be in the EDIT page near the top?
    /off topic
    Nice work jokkos :dremel:

12. Sobek

Sobek New Member

nice `n shiny ! but..... why dont you fill up the screw heads? or is this the floorboard?

13. jokkos

@ Mansueto: Supra55 is right: edit your first post (you may need to select 'go advanced') and then you can edit the title.

@ Sobek: that's wet paint, it won't be very shiny when dry. Just an ordinary satin black paint. The screw heads aren't filled. I don't like it too perfect / polished. And I want to be able to quickly take it apart if necessary.

@ all: thanks for commenting.

14. Sobek

Sobek New Member

^^

well, shiny or not - whatever you like... although, nice work

15. mansueto

Thanks supra. Keep up the good work, its looking really nice

16. jokkos

The story continues – wooden box finished

The external part is finished. The rad is installed and everything is okay. Here’s the update with pics.

*sidenote: I’m on a deadline, so I left the fans as they are. For now. They will be painted and get another sticker later on.*

Here’s the result after two layers of black satin paint and enough time to properly dry.
    [​IMG]

I made two alu spacers for the small piece that will hold one the supports for the rad grille. Here they are installed. The screws are not entirely flush, meaning I will have to shave a bit off one of the supporting L-pieces.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of which, here they are ready to be taped.
    [​IMG]

After measuring, marking, punching, drilling, filing, tapping:
    [​IMG]

They are mounted with wood screws. It seems I missed a bit on one of the holes, so I needed to use a washer on one of the ends (the top of the right one in the pic, you can see it’s not entirely flush). No big deal, their purpose is to allow for easy mounting of the rad and that works as it should.
    [​IMG]

The grille fits very well. Since it’s bigger than the rad, there won’t be problems.
    [​IMG]

Another one. There’s a small gap above the grille, I left that intentionally to reduce the contact area. Also on the sides, the grille doesn’t touch the wood. Below the grille there’s some space as well, it won’t touch the surface the box is standing on.
    [​IMG]

This rad will be cooled by two Noctua fans. Since 3 pin cable connectors loosen quite easily, I decided to use heatshrink to keep them together. There will be only one connection left uncovered: where the cable you see in the pic is connected to the cable coming out of the case.
    [​IMG]

Assembling the rad is very easy because there’s no case panel in between. You can see in this pic how easy it is to mount it: I just have to slide the grill over the L-brackets. Since the holes in the L-brackets are tapped, I don’t need nuts to fasten the bolts.
    [​IMG]

All mounted, all ready to go.
    [​IMG]

A view from the back. I put the rad in ‘deep’ enough so the fittings are still underneath the top wood piece. And there’s more than enough room for the cables of the controller of my speakers.
    [​IMG]

Because of a comment I got on wood resonance, I wanted to test it ASAP. And I’m really pleased with it. At 100% there is quite some noise, but no more than the fans on my internal rad. But upon reducing the fan RPM, I can easily understand why the Noctua’s get so much praise: at 90% it’s practically silent and below 80% it is, well, completely silent. I had to visually verify that the fans were turning because I just didn’t hear them at all. And I have good hearing and am easily annoyed by humming sounds. This was all without any weight on the box, and it was standing on a not-completely stable wooden surface. So it should be even better on my desk. Great!

Now that the external part is done, it’s getting time to open up the case and start on the internal adjustments. More on this after the week-end. Have fun!

17. Supra55

Supra55 New Member

Great work :thumb:

18. mansueto

Nice progress, can't wait to see how this turns out.

19. jokkos

The story continues – internal works part one

Here’s another update.

I started on the internal changes. Sunday afternoon I opened up the case, took out the second vid card so I’m rid of that.

Before I did that, I was blown away by this sight: look how much dust there is on the fan dust filters after 8 months of use!
    [​IMG]

I was actually using these filters for show, I never thought they are this effective. From now on, I know what I’m going to recommend to other people! Moreover, inside the case, it’s practically dust free. So these things actually work, and very well…

I opened the drain of the watercooling and the fillport, let out the water. I changed the fans on the internal rad from the Noiseblockers that were too loud to the Scythes. I tested them and they are much quieter. Another improvement.

On Monday, I removed some case plates so I could take out the mainboard. I have no choice because I need to mount the chipset blocks with bolts that are fastened on the backside of the board.

But first I removed the CPU waterblock. Why? Well, time for a small confession: because I knew the contact between the block and my CPU’s HSI is far from perfect. I noticed this when I put everything together in february (when I finished this case), but then I was too tired of it and I really really wanted to get to the end of it. So, now it’s time to correct this matter.

In february I just slapped thermal paste on it (too much), but I did spread it evenly. Look how it looks right after taking the waterblock off. It’s not even, far from it. There are places where it barely made contact. That’s not as bad as I remembered it, but it’s not very good either.
    [​IMG]

During the past months I read some guides on heatsink lapping and it seems to be common knowledge that the HSI of the Core2Duo CPU’s isn’t too flat. Most are concave. So I assumed this is also the case on my CPU. But first I checked the flatness of the waterblock, that seems pretty flat to me!
    [​IMG]

Then I checked the HSI of the CPU…that isn’t entirely flat, but it’s not very concave either…
    [​IMG]

Now, here’s the part where I stopped taking pics and tried the surfaces with other knife blades (I am out of razor blades). And it turns out that the contact between the block and the CPU depends on how they’re oriented to eachother. And the way I’m putting the block on the CPU gives –you guessed it- the least good contact.
    Anyway, it isn’t as bad as I feared it would be. Nevertheless, I’m going to lap the CPU, and for the heck of it, I’ll give the waterblock a go as well. That should definitely improve contact.

I had to take the waterblock apart for this. I was curious to see the inside: I’m using a small bore watercooling with a mix between copper and alu components. Well, see for yourself: no residue/gunk/whatever on the block (except for one small bit which I expected to find, you can see it in the pic if you know what to look for, it was in the loop right after I filled it). Take a look at the upper piece: the area outside where the rubber ring comes is in a worse state than the inner area! It came off easy though, I guess it were some remains of the production process.
    [​IMG]

The lapping will happen tomorrow, I took a day off at work so I can do it in full daylight.

In the meantime, I also took the heatpipe and passive heatsink off the mainboard and I cleaned the NB and SB. Over the mosfets there was a non-sticky thermal pad so I didn’t need to clean them. For your info, the heatpipe comes off easily, the passive sink on the SB sits pretty tight but nothing problematic either. Here the chipsets are cleaned and ready for the waterblocks.
    [​IMG]

Finally, earlier today I started on the holes for the pass-through fittings to include the external rad in the loop. Here’s where they will be: out of the way and handy to reach:
    [​IMG]

Right after I drilled the pilot holes, I got a phone call and I needed to leave for an urgent matter. So that was it for now, expect more soon...

20. Supra55

Supra55 New Member

Heh always the phone calls, great work can't wait to see how this turns out.