1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Der_Meister - custom alu case *Epilogue Nov 8th, 2007*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jokkos, 20 Mar 2006.

1. Razor_cut

Razor_cut New Member

Love cable setup and the whole planing!

How long would you say it takes to make thous nice cables?

Thanks!

2. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

Thanks for all the nice comments, makes it bit more bearable! :thumb:

I'm guessing you mean one of the rca cables? I think about 50 minutes per cable.
    About 10 minutes preparing and setting up the first plug, then some soldering and hot glueing (about 15 minutes cause the glue needs to cool down), then putting the tubing on and fiddling around to get the wires where they need to be (another 10 minutes) and again some soldering and hot glueing (again about 15 minutes, again cause the glue needs to cool down).
    During this process, always test the connections with a multimeter (right after soldering and glueing, it's a lot easier to get the glue off before it's cold if this is necessary.

3. Franklin

Franklin New Member

Fantastic project :thumb: :thumb: Five stars from me.

4. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI New Member

That is pure quality! :hip:

imo anyway! :thumb:

5. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I'm too sexy for my pc, too sexy for my cables, toooo sexy it huurttttss....

Sorry mate... That's just some cable management that should almost be 18+ rated for being too hot.

6. chase

chase New Member

Thats just nice man, nice meaning music in my ears!

7. jokkos

thanks guys...I'm happy you all like it.

thanks a lot Franklin in particular, you're one of the people that inspired me for some of the things in the case...Alumaxx rules :thumb:

oh yeah, nice update coming later today!

8. OldY

OldY New Member

Loving the quality of the case!!!
    Keep it up :D

9. Claas M

Claas M New Member

Imho one cable containing those 3/ 4 'lanes' are better but its only my taste ;)

10. ssR

ssR Carbon God

the cable setup is awesome. cant wait to see it finished

11. jokkos

Cable Management & Wiring – switches & bottom panel

Update time!
    I managed to do a lot of work during the last days…

To start, remember I showed you a pic of the wired switches in my last update? Well, to lead power to the switches I’m again using the black blocks you also saw in my last update. The switches are in two groups of three switches each. Of course each switch needs to get input power and it happens that I need 12V for each one of them. So I made these small wire bridges to keep the wiring a bit cleaner:
    [​IMG]
    The three input lines of the switches will be connected to the other sides of these blocks and…power. I made two of these of course.

I then realized that it wouldn’t be enough to just mount the switches in the panel, because they would get in the way of everything else and it would be a genuine pain in you-know-what to put in the other stuff. So I decided to install the whole schlabang. Here are the two vandals that act as remote switches for the optical drives:
    [​IMG]

And the leds of the optical drives are also relocated. Here are the two leds (diffused white ones) I’ll be using, soldered and heatshrinked:
    [​IMG]

I did these after I realized that I would have to mount everything in the panel at once. That is partly because of this crazy mutated cable, you might recognize the remains of the split cable I talked about in my previous post:
    [​IMG]

And onto the big event. First of all, putting in the vandals and the led holders. The two vandals with the blue behind are the future power button & led and reset button & hdd led of the case. Their wiring will of course be sleeved later on.
    [​IMG]

Here the switches are connected to the mutated cable. The sleeved part powers the Aquaero and the loose wires you see close to it, will be connected to the rca sockets that lead to the optical bay. The output lines of the switches will be connected to the rca sockets on the side. One switch needs to go another way, that’s why I connected its output to a black block together with a ground line that was split off from the mutated cable. Pretty complicated, huh?
    [​IMG]

After installing the switches, leds and finally the usb-thingie, and after connecting the wires to the rca sockets leading to the optical bay: cable spaghetti! Actually it seems worse in the pics than it is irl, I guess the shadows make it seem more crowded:
    [​IMG]

Then I installed it in the case. This went pretty smoothly. I didn’t really took the size of the FMJ housing for the pump into consideration when I made the wiring for the rca sockets that are partially above it. This means I needed to push the wiring to the side, which made it a bit messier than I anticipated. But none of this will be visible and I can reach everything:
    [​IMG]

A close-up of the side rca sockets. It’s not really visible with all of the blackness, but for the ground wires I used the same small wire bridges as I did for the input power of the switches.
    [​IMG]

Another close-up of the wire spaghetti…
    [​IMG]

Now that it was all installed, I did more than just take pics of it :hip:
    First I checked everything with the multimeter to make sure everything survived the installation process. No problems there. So, on came the psu-cable. I’m happy to report: no errors, everything working as it should. All rca sockets give a nice and stable power reading:
    [​IMG]

Finally I also powered up the Aquaero for the first time. So sweet…
    [​IMG]

That’s it for now. See you soon!

Last edited: 23 Aug 2011
  12. OldY

OldY New Member

Love the finish on the front panel!!!
    Superb work :D

13. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI New Member

Updates great but are the two front 'L' brackets placed wrong? Should they be under the RCA panel instead of lapping over the top? Just a friendly slap around the chops, no harm meant, just curious... as the panels abit skewy! :worried: :)

That panel is, err... words fail me! :jawdrop: :hip: :cooldude:

Given me a sweet idea for mine! :thumb:

14. Sinner666

Sinner666 New Member

Don't suppose you plan to make that pannel flush with the rest of the case do ya?

15. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI New Member

eh?

What the switch panel? Is it not purposely recessed so as not to accidently catch/knock any of the switches then? :confused:

16. chase

chase New Member

Thats right, its recessed on purpose.

Again very nice jokkos, i like your work very much..
    That panel is so sweet (in your words) my jaw dropped
    to the floor when i saw it. :jawdrop:

How far have you come?
    Long way until finish?

Petter

17. LuitvD

LuitvD New Member

i'm happy i don't have to do the wiring on this one :eeek: nice work :thumb: looks good already

18. Temet Nosce

Temet Nosce New Member

I just read through this entire post in pretty much one sitting, and I must say Excellent work. Not only at creating a beautiful computer with great ideas for tidy cable managment, but also at creating a compelling project log, that just left me reading and reading. I really cant wait to see this complete, once again, fantastic work!

p.s you must have the patience of a saint to not rip all that protective layering off the aluminium, just to see what it looks like, I would taken it off ages ago!

19. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

9 pages is nothing go read solient green in one sitting I couldn't had things peopel wanted me to do. I joined because of the prject and look where it has gotten me. btw I woul dhave ripped it off because its a b*tch to take the thing apart and re-attach everything. But Judging by the writing on the wall hes using the tape to help him find spots for stuff.

20. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

once again great job on the wiring and front panel, it looking sweet. I'm still trying to figure out the wiring system for my case and logs like this and modsquads (when his gets done) really help since i'm a noob with electronics. Keep it up