1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project : Deuce

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 24 Feb 2008.

1. giganten

giganten Artist

Yeah that was really nice.

2. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

true flames are hard. as soon as you think your good with an airbrush you get hit with this...wooh. learnin to do shreaders was hard for me :(

3. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Thanks all!
    I am very happy that you like it!
    Recognize these panels? ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are next on the spraying block... Stay tuned!
    :)

4. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

both the painting and the acrylic work is nutty fantastic. i can't wait to see how this one turns out.

5. Tech-Daddy

Next update!
    Ok, first round of painting is done. I have a bit of cleanup to do around the panel where some of the tape let a bit through, but for the initial application, it looks good!

I have some airbrushing that I need to do as well as some *gulp* pin striping if I can pull it off! (have those other panels to practice on). The striping will be on the outer edge of the green flame work. But the process is committed to the panels now! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tech-Daddy

Started a new job on Monday... so I have been a bit distracted getting myself acclimated to the new company and it's work requirements.

Looks like this is going to be a good match! ;)

No "work" updates, but I'd like to introduce you to a sweet sponsorship that just blossomed!

[​IMG]

Palit is not a well known video card brand here in the USA... yet! ;) They are making a very strong push into the enthusiast market, and with recent reviews of their technology being very strong and promising.... I dont see them going anywhere but up! To work with the Deuce theme, I was shipped 2 of their 1GB 8800GT video cards, for a total of 2GB of frame buffer luvin! Perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My issue that I have to get creative about is that the card is not an NVidia "reference card" design, and as such, the full cover liquid cooling solutions that I was moving toward... wont work. So, now I get to be creative! With a rework in the power system as well as the additional 512MB of memory on the back of the unit, that is going to make it a bit tricky! Before I pull the coolers, I am going to put the cards into the current machine and bench them and make sure there is no artifactingm because once I start pulling these apart, I'm pretty sure Palit's warranty will go bye bye... :)

I've already got a plan or two to really jazz this card up, liquid cool it, and cool the memory and the VR's... I have some options!

gonna be tricky, but I think I'll be able to get some good performance *and* good looks!

7. Tech-Daddy

WOO HOO!!!

Fun stuff!

These will eventually be bent into my reservoir brackets that will mount them to the inside of my 5.25 bay area.
    [​IMG]

The units with the holes in the pic below will be for retaining my fill ports, the additional flames are for decorative accenting.... but where? ;)
    [​IMG]

Flames anyone??
    [​IMG]

This will be my solution for supporting the rad from below, you'll see how it all ties together! ;)
    [​IMG]

With a little back light, you can see the bottom etching I threw in on the piece.... DEUCE!!
    [​IMG]

Etched material from the back
    [​IMG]

Flames with the res....
    [​IMG]

Fire and water anyone? ;)
    [​IMG]

More later!

8. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

impressive airbrushing, must be awesome to have sponsors!

9. Tech-Daddy

It can be very helpful! Thanks for the comment!

10. khanage0

khanage0 Minimodder

liking the flame in the res dude:thumb:

11. Tech-Daddy

Ok, lets have some fun on an update!
    ;)

I've been ordering and receiving a LOT of equipment as of late. Between painting supplies and acrylic fabrication supplies... plus some modding add ons for this unit... it's been a bit crazy at my house for a week, while the dust settles! So, the last 2 days, I went out and started using one of my newest pieces of equipment, an acrylic heater/bender!
    [​IMG]

Let me just say, for the record, this makes for a much higher quality bend in thicker acrylic, as you dont take the change of accidentally overheating it and causing it to flame up or get too hot. Doing so causes bubbles in the material... not pretty! But to test how well it worked on 1/4" sheet cell cast acrylic, I dropped a practice piece on the heated unit for about a minute (going to take a stop watch out there and get a good precise time that is needed) and resulted in this, nice, smooth, no bubble bend on 1/4" acrylic..... Mmmmmmmmmm! :)
    [​IMG]

I also ordered some 1/8" clear acrylic rods...
    [​IMG]

"What on earth for?", I hear you asking....
    well, light pipes! I have some ideas on this, we'll see if they make the final cut!
    [​IMG]

Back to the video cards.. and their initial water cooling install....
    Strip off the old stuff, which is actually a very good heatsink:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thermal pads had excellent placement, and the heatsink TIM on the core was precisely placed, and not gobbed on! I was very happy to seee this, and thought that some of you may want to seriously consider Palit as a video card distributor. Very good use of thermal material on this disassembly!!!
    [​IMG]

Ceramique - The choice of champions! ;)
    [​IMG]

A group shot with hte cards nekkid...
    [​IMG]

And a group shot of the impending new equipment...
    [​IMG]

The cores cleaned up nicely using alcohol and papertowels:
    [​IMG]

One before and one after, to show a comparison:
    [​IMG]

A close up of the DangerDen Maze5 block mounted:
    [​IMG]

Both cards done and looking siiiiiick!
    [​IMG]

I have plans on how to re-use the video shroud, here was a test fit. I have several ideas on how I want this bit of the mod to proceed:
    [​IMG]

And the pumps were not exempt to the modding... I picked up some clear acrylic tops for my Swiftech 355's!
    [​IMG]

One down, and one to go! Good comparison reference:
    [​IMG]

Both tops mounted with the barbs attached:
    [​IMG]

The acrylic has 2 spaces per top to embed LED's.... you can bet I'll be taking advantage of those!
    [​IMG]

The pics below, you will note that this one bracket was only a bending test piece. one end was performed using a heatgun or torch, and the other end was performed using the new bending station.
    This end used the heatgun, and as you can see it is less than precise.
    [​IMG]

Ow....
    [​IMG]

The end that was bent using the station is MUCH more precise! Bends are good quality and well executed. No rippling or bubbles:
    [​IMG]

And a test fit of the res in the bracket.
    [​IMG]

Lots more to come!
    :)

12. Farmboy UK

Farmboy UK Hungry for knowledge

Nice acrylic work the Res bracket. Also, the graphics cards look good.

13. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Dual CPU Dual Core. Read the whole log, excellent work.

14. Tech-Daddy

Thanks everyone! :)

Just an FYI.... Just because I have not been updating like a good boy, does not mean that I have not been working the mod! ;)

I have made a LOT of progress on the internal acrylic structures. Several prototypes of designs that I wanted, bared out the fact that there was simply not enough space for that particular vision application! (Glad I did the prototypes!) So, after some rethinking, I rebuild a few things, and came up with some new stuff!

As I am exhausted and in desperate need of a shower, so no pics tonight.
    I have acrylic dust in places I did not know I could get it! ;)

But I think you will like where this is going!!
    Hold on tight!
    -=TD

15. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Excellent progress! Those Palit cards are sick for sure, I can't wait to see what you come up with :thumb:

*anxiously awaiting pics*

16. Tech-Daddy

For those that were wondering what I was gong to do with the video cards... well... here is a taste!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll process the rest of the pics tomorrow. These were from tonight.

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Saaaweeet! That's bad-ass!

18. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

that really does kick arse

I know there doesn't look like a lot left to do, but *Subb'd*

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Gooey goodness!

20. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

I have a Palit 9600GT 1gb in my HTPC/LAN rig and its great i kept the cooler tho bc it works well, the 9600GTs from them also have a HDMI and display port on them which is sweet. but anyway Nice Choice

Tags: